Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1)

Started by Norton Canes, January 07, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Fuck it, let's do this. Season 10 is gone. New year, new Doctor (eventually).

Mostly though, if DWM have done the '...is the Doctor!' cover, it must be time for a new thread...

Word is there's going to be some South African location shooting soon, before production returns to the UK. Rumours of filming in Ireland sometime March/April.

Welcome to the Chibnocene!

mothman

In his absence...

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 07, 2017, 03:09:22 PM
Sheepy's guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:  Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15:  So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special (A Christmas Carol))
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:  Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 2012/12/29:  Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (S07(33)E01 (Asylum of the Daleks) - S07(33)E05 (The Angels Take Manhattan) plus Christmas Special (The Snowmen))
2012/12/29 - 2013/07/11:  Doctor Who, Series 7 (part two) (S07(33)E06 (The Bells of Saint John) - S07(33)E13 (The Name of the Doctor))
2013/01/07 - 2014/01/05:  Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year (overlaps with the previous thread)
2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 2016/01/21:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (S09(35)E07 (The Zygon Invasion) - S09(35)E12 (Hell Bent) plus Christmas Special (The Husbands of River Song))
2016/01/22 - 2017/04/15:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Pre-S10(36) speculation)
2017/04/15 - 2017/08/07:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2) (S10(36)E01 (The Pilot) - S10(36)E12 (The Doctor Falls))
2017/08/07 - 201?/??/??:   Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 3)  - you're reading it now)

Threads about the old series, in chronological order of creation:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Second thread, 2011/01/14 - 2016/10/21)
Old Doctor Who - Part 3 (Third thread, 2016/10/21 - 20??/??/??)

Other Doctor Who related broadcast threads, also in chronological order:
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1, there was no S1 thread)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3 (aka Children of Earth)
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games
Torchwood: The New World (one-page thread presaging Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood return date.... (three-post thread announcing Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka Series 4)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (US airings)
Class (Doctor Who spin-off) series 1

There wasn't a Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 thread, let alone a Series 5 one. :-(

Still more Doctor Who related threads, again in chronological order:
Fanzines (Comedy, Doctor Who and in general)
Mong Doctor Who series 5 (H.S. Art thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who (a really good thread, IMHO)
Doctor Who Mongs (H.S. Art thread)
Beeb to show unseen interview with Dr Who theme creator (Delia Derbyshire)
Doctor Who film (November 2011 thread about film rumour)
Watching Doctor Who no 1. The Time Meddler (1965)
Why i don't like modern Doctor Who
Doctor Who leaked scripts thread (but still no spoilers) (July 2014)
Doctor Who: The Movie (April 2015 thread about another film rumour)
K9: Timequake (new movie coming 2017, allegedly... very allegedly, by now)
Doctor Who World (should it become an expanded franchise like Marvel?)
Dr Who Re Dooooo (would it be worth refilming some early stories?)
Doctor Who or Chips? (addressing the burning issue of the day)
Tom Baker is still alive (General Tom Baker appreciation thread)

(See here for sources.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

Come back soon, Sheepy!

Mister Six

Where's Sheepy gone? Has he flounced?

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2018, 11:47:48 PM
Where's Sheepy gone? Has he flounced?

He took some time away for personnel reasons. I just realised that he posted over Christmas, though, so that's very good to see.

Replies From View

Thomas

Norton - nice upkeep of the thread title format. And 'series' instead of 'season', too. Responsible man.

Ambient Sheep's archivist thread collections are invaluable. When I watch an episode from the earlier series of new Who, I sometimes like to check the thread of the day and see what CaB's commentary reckoned to it.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2018, 04:56:11 PM
Sarah Dollard won't be writing for series 11:

QuoteRachel Talalay has told me some deliberately vague yet still very exciting things about her take on the character

Ooh - Have they started filming yet?

mothman

Yes, there were some on-set covert snaps showing Thirteen still walking around in Twelve's clothes. Presumably before she gets her TARDIS back.

gatchamandave

Thanks mothman, and Sheepy of course.

Replies From View

After the impression we had (from where?  And why?) that Chibnall was binning Moffat's pool of writers to start afresh, it's interesting to learn that he has in fact asked Gatiss and Dollard (and presumably others) after all.  I'd love to have some news about who is writing, though, rather than only those who've said no.  I'm guessing it won't be long.

The Roofdog

I'm sure in previous years by the time filming started we had a couple of writers confirmed and the general shape of the series in terms of showrunner/guest writer slots: possibly even some episode titles. It suggests to me that Chibnall has written the whole first block on his own, without any of this writers' room business.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 10, 2018, 10:29:28 AM
I'm sure in previous years by the time filming started we had a couple of writers confirmed and the general shape of the series in terms of showrunner/guest writer slots: possibly even some episode titles. It suggests to me that Chibnall has written the whole first block on his own, without any of this writers' room business.

He may just be keeping his cards close to his chest for now.  Interesting if you're right, though.  It would make series 11 the most objectively mediocre series of Doctor Who ever if Chibnall has written every single episode.

Hey, remember that Doctor Who writer who makes George Lucas' dialogue seem marginally less clunky?  You know - the one who can't shake stories up with the occasional thrilling idea or poetic turn of phrase, but can reliably churn out plot-by-numbers episodes by the first deadline probably because he doesn't proofread them?  Yeah, the one whose episodes sound like they've been written by a committee because they lack any flourishes that a single hand would ordinarily bring.  Let's have him writing every single episode for at least a year!!

I hope you're wrong, basically.  We're still nine or ten months away from broadcast.

The Roofdog

I didn't mean every episode in the series but scripts for the first production block should surely be complete by now? That block must be pure Chinballs unless they've done an amazing job keeping a new writer secret. Sometimes production blocks are only two episodes though.

purlieu

RTD and Moffat both wrote four of the first five stories of their respective first series, so it's not impossible.

Also the first production block is apparently episodes 1 and 7, which could both be Chibnall episodes.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on January 10, 2018, 02:19:45 PM
RTD and Moffat both wrote four of the first five stories of their respective first series, so it's not impossible.

Also the first production block is apparently episodes 1 and 7, which could both be Chibnall episodes.

Misread your post sorry. Ignore.

It always struck me as weird that a incoming Doctor wouldnt have their first few episodes filmed in a succession block. If I remember Matt Smith's first filmed episodes were the Angels 2 parter. I remember the picture of him and Karen sat on the steps of a trailer scripts in hand.

Four to Doomsday was Davidson's first as well. I can't member these being apparent too much in the finished products though.

Jerzy Bondov

I think Matty has longer hair in the Angels 2 parter. Speaking of hair, Capaldi's was all over the shop and Tennant's got progressively more annoying as he went on. Just like his Doctor. They went back to better hair for Day of the Doctor though. I must say I think Whittaker's hair is very nice. Worst Doctor Hair of all time? Surely it must be Trial of a Timelord Colin Baker's enormous fucking perm.

Thomas

Quote from: Malcy on January 10, 2018, 03:47:50 PM
I remember the picture of him and Karen sat on the steps of a trailer scripts in hand.

Let's see it again, because of how lovely it is.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 10, 2018, 01:20:32 PM
I didn't mean every episode in the series but scripts for the first production block should surely be complete by now? That block must be pure Chinballs unless they've done an amazing job keeping a new writer secret. Sometimes production blocks are only two episodes though.

Does anyone recall when in 2009 we were getting news about writers for Moffat's first series?  Assuming we are currently eight months away from the start of series 11 (if it begins broadcasting early September), eight months before the start of series 5 would have been August 2009.  Were we getting news about series 5 writers then?

Replies From View

It always struck me as weird that a incoming Doctor wouldnt have their first few episodes filmed in a succession block.

It's because when a new Doctor arrives, everyone is scrutinising their first episode for how good they'll end up being.  By the time Castrovalva and The Eleventh Hour were recorded, both Davison and Smith were in their groove.  Whether they weren't already in their groove during Four to Doomsday and the Angels two-parter is a separate matter; you can see their reasons for doing it that way at least.

Mister Six

It always struck me as weird that a incoming Doctor wouldnt have their first few episodes filmed in a succession block. If I remember Matt Smith's first filmed episodes were the Angels 2 parter. I remember the picture of him and Karen sat on the steps of a trailer scripts in hand.

I think it's just about the practicalities of shooting. If a location is only available for a certain window, or two episodes have similar needs, they'll go together.

Boak directed Rose, Aliens of London and World War III as the first production block of series one, because they were all predominantly set in the same time period and had the same supporting cast (ie. Mickey, Rose's mum). That way the actors could do a solid few weeks of work in the same location, rather than nipping in and out of space/Victorian sets to accommodate End of the World and Unquiet Dead.

Don't know why the Angels story was filmed first. Might just have been the only time Alex Kingston was available, or something to do with the availability of the "crash site".

Replies From View

From the Castrovalva wiki page:

QuoteThe working title for this story was The Visitor. This story was the first story aired which featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor. However, it was the fourth story to be recorded as the original planned debut story, Project Zeta Sigma by John Flanagan and Andrew McCulloch, proved unworkable and a replacement had to be commissioned. John Nathan-Turner took advantage of this to give Davison the chance to have a firm idea of how he wanted to play the role before recording the regeneration story.

They go into this stuff in a lot more detail in the DVD documentaries, particularly the aspect of wanting Davison to be familiar with the role before filming his first-broadcast story.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 10, 2018, 04:26:36 PM
Does anyone recall when in 2009 we were getting news about writers for Moffat's first series?  Assuming we are currently eight months away from the start of series 11 (if it begins broadcasting early September), eight months before the start of series 5 would have been August 2009.  Were we getting news about series 5 writers then?

Richard Curtis was confirmed by the BBC as writing a script for it on 8 September 2009.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8244450.stm

A list of the writers for Series 5 got leaked and someone posted it on GB near the end of the same September.  It was mostly accurate except that it included Neil Gaiman instead of Simon Nye, presumably this was intended to be the early version of The Doctor's Wife that ended up being made the following year, whereas Nye's episode was one of the last two to be recorded for that series.  Was only filmed around March 2010.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 10, 2018, 06:37:02 PM
Richard Curtis was confirmed by the BBC as writing a script for it on 8 September 2009.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8244450.stm

A list of the writers for Series 5 got leaked and someone posted it on GB near the end of the same September.  It was mostly accurate except that it included Neil Gaiman instead of Simon Nye, presumably this was intended to be the early version of The Doctor's Wife that ended up being made the following year, whereas Nye's episode was one of the last two to be recorded for that series.  Was only filmed around March 2010.

So it's not particularly weird that we haven't yet received details about series 11 writers, then.  Series 5 writers began to be leaked seven months before broadcast.  We're a minimum of eight months away from series 11 at the moment.

Mister Six

Also worth remembering that this is a whole new production team and there have likely been new faces in the Beeb's marketing teams since 2009 too.

The fact that Whittaker had a promotional trailer and Photoshopped-up costume photo to promote her, compared to Matt's initial photo in his civvies and that (admittedly lovely) on-set shot in his costume show how much practices have changed.

So basically, don't panic (yet).

Norton Canes

Misread your post sorry. Ignore.

It always struck me as weird that a incoming Doctor wouldnt have their first few episodes filmed in a succession block...

Four to Doomsday was Davidson's first... I can't member these being apparent too much in the finished products though

Davison was all over the place in the early recording sessions of Four To Doomsday. Notoriously he received almost no guidance from John Nathan-Turner on how to play the part, and the performance he delivers in the first installment verges on the histrionic in places. He visibly calms down over the next couple of episodes and by the end of the story he's much more subtle.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 11, 2018, 10:02:53 AM
Davison was all over the place in the early recording sessions of Four To Doomsday. Notoriously he received almost no guidance from John Nathan-Turner on how to play the part, and the performance he delivers in the first installment verges on the histrionic in places. He visibly calms down over the next couple of episodes and by the end of the story he's much more subtle.

It wasn't recorded in order.

Norton Canes

Maybe not entirely, but I'm sure the footage of Davison's first day in the studio included as a DVD extra features the early scenes where the TARDIS crew begin exploring Monarch's spaceship, and this (with the TARDIS scenes) is when his OTT approach is most noticeable.

"Work on Four To Doomsday began with a three-day studio session in BBC Television Centre Studio 6, spanning April 13th to 15th. The first day dealt with scenes in the control room of Monarch's ship and in the TARDIS, while work on the 14th shifted to the Mobiliary and the surgery. The final day of the block centred on many of the scenes in the Linkways, as well as the guest quarters and the library

Cast and crew returned to TC6 for the second studio block, which ran from April 28th to 30th. Taping began with the remaining Linkways sequences, along with model work. The opening shot of Monarch's spacecraft in flight was suggested by Nathan-Turner, who intended it to be an homage to the start of the 1977 feature film Star Wars. April 29th was concerned with scenes in the Recreational Room and the Flora Room, leaving all of the material in the Throne Room for the final day of production"

Not my words - the words of A Brief History of Time Travel

Bad Ambassador

I recall some scenes in the Recreation Room are notably out of (later) character too, like calling Adric an idiot to his face. That was pretty funny.

samadriel

Of course, the established fifth Doctor prefers to call Adric an idiot behind his back

Replies From View

"I am glad that you never found out if you were right, Adric, you DEAD CUNT."