Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1)

Started by Norton Canes, January 07, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

As I remember it, the Fifth Doctor often took Adric outside the TARDIS to administer a king-size larruping.

Replies From View

Quote from: Serge on January 11, 2018, 02:33:02 PM
As I remember it, the Fifth Doctor often took Adric outside the TARDIS to administer a king-size larruping.

The larruping seemed bigger when they took it outside.

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2018, 02:30:23 PM
"I am glad that you never found out if you were right, Adric, you DEAD CUNT."

Serge

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2018, 02:36:53 PM
The larruping seemed bigger when they took it outside.

And Adric somehow smaller.

biggytitbo

I love 4 to doomsday but davisons character is definitely different to how he plays it for the rest of his tenure. I suppose his very last episode he plays it a bit differently too.

Replies From View

Quoth Chibnall in the new DWM:

QuoteHello! I'm new here. Well, sort of; I've read all of these columns, even guest-wrote one years ago, but never expected to move in. Oh look, just here, two pairs of shoes, left behind. Hmmm. Big boots. No, wait, hang on, in this cupboard, dozens of pairs of shoes! Dating all the way back to 1963.

Ah, enough of that. You get it.  Coming in to this job is equal parts thrill, privilege and responsibility. So far we've been going about our business as quietly as we can, trying to keep a low profile (ha – as if that's possible!), until Peter, Steven and Brian had bowed out in a blaze of collective glory.

Now here we are: 2018! Jodie Whittaker IS The Doctor. (Hooray for the DWM cover tradition.) The Thirteenth Doctor is here and we can tell you everything.

Although, of course, we'd rather not – for now. We'd rather keep things for when we can show you, rather than tell you. So if we don't announce much, or give interviews for a while, it's because we're currently focusing all our attention on making the show, not talking about it.

Let me think of something I can tell you. How about the words Steven Moffat used, when he broached the question of whether I'd want to take over the greatest show on television? He said: "I'm sorry, but I'm about to derail your life." As opening gambits go, it's a good one. And, as it turns out, true.

Now, you're probably either excited or worried about the future – maybe both. I think that may be the natural state of being a fan of something, whether in sport or culture: you love this thing so much, like we all do, and you're worried what's going to happen.

If it's any consolation, that combination of excitement and concern is also the natural state of making the show: excited about what you're planning, concerned how you'll achieve it. I'm lucky: I have a team of geniuses around me. The first part of my work – doggedly, quietly and very persistently – for the past two years has been persuading the best people working in television to join this new phase of the Doctor Who adventure. The team we've built – some familiar faces, some new ones – are professionals at the top of their game. They're already working their socks off, just like the teams before them, to deliver something wonderful.

Of course, lots of stalwarts remain. People like Hutcho – Mark Hutchings, our gaffer, who's been with the show since Rose in 2005. Andy Pryor, our casting guru, responsible for what, SIX Doctors now? (Seven if you include David Bradley.) Mark McQuoid, our phenomenal camera operator, the man with the camera in his hands for all your favourite shots these past few years. Deian and his amazing sound team. Sandra the brilliant production secretary dishing out thoughts for the day. Danny Hargreaves, the King of FX. Neill, Kate and Rob from Millennium, dreaming up new monsters. Jo Pearce, the interactive genius. James DeHaviland, now our production manager. Steffan Morris, estimable line producer, Dame Nikki Wilson, now series producer – and glorious Tracie Simpson, the backbone of Doctor Who since 2005, and now our production executive. And many, many more besides. All of them channelling their enthusiasm and experience to figure out how we tell these brand-new stories.

These people are Doctor Who. The show has always been formed from the brilliance of many people: it's the ultimate team show. One of the many great privileges of coming in to Doctor Who is getting to work with these people. And of course, there are new people too – I'll introduce them properly as we go through the year. (I won't always be here every month, but I'll pop in from time to time.)

What's evident is Doctor Who's extraordinary ability to embrace change while remaining exactly the same show that people love. Doctor Who wrote change into its format from the start, going from location to location and story to story. Then it wrote change into the DNA of its lead character! It's always looking forward, asking, "Where next?" That's the job, for me, for the writers, for the production team, for Jodie and all our new cast.

That's our challenge, and we're loving it. It is so much fun. I'm not sure I fully realised how much fun this was going to be. And it's been part of my brief to everyone who's joined: enjoy it, on behalf of every fan, every viewer, every child and every adult who would love to be working on this show. We know how lucky we are. And we're going to relish every moment, for you. Because one day it might be you, writing this column, playing the Doctor, operating the camera, planning the schedules or the budget or shouting "Action!"

For now though, we are your surrogates, and we are pouring every ounce of love, expertise, fun and excitement into this show. For you.

So whether you're excited or anxious about what the future holds, know this: the show continues to be made by people who adore it. We just get to curate it for a while. We all understand what a profound honour that is. So much so that we're going to let Doctor Who derail our lives for a bit.

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 11, 2018, 06:01:58 PM
OK, now I want to kill him.

There's something so characteristically Chibnall about the remark "We'd rather keep things for when we can show you, rather than tell you."

"Hmm, I want to communicate to the readership that I wish to show them, rather than tell them.  Is that a cliche?  Not sure.  Is there some roundabout way I can communicate this to make it more interesting?  An anecdote?  A metaphor?  Something poetic? 

...nah, fuck it.  I'll just tell them."

The lack of imagination and the cogs tangibly cranking away before finally offering up a risible cliche.  It's all there.

Four to Doomsday would have been written very early on, indeed possibly even before Davison was cast, as the original scripts were delivered to the production office in Autumn 1980, and Davison's casting wasn't announced until November that year.  The rewrites to get it ready for recording were done by script editor Antony Root around March 1981, including having Nyssa added to it - she wasn't in Terence Dudley's original version.  It's often felt to me that some of Davison's more flippant dialogue in this story sounds more like material written for Tom Baker.  I'm guessing the cricket references were added in the rewrite, as I doubt whether the cricketing motif would have been decided on as early as Summer or Autumn 1980, although having said that there are occasional references to cricket in some of Baker's stories as well anyway.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2018, 05:26:34 PM
Quoth Chibnall in the new DWM:

Clever clue to one of the new series stories in that: the Doctor travels back to visit LiveJournal.

Replies From View

Lovely line in the DWM review of Twice Upon a Time:

QuoteWith life and, more specifically, death no longer binary in Doctor Who, it's no surprise the Twelfth's exit comes with such complications. The flipside of that is it allows Moffat to fill this Christmas tale with fallen friends. Thus, we have beyond-the-veil returns for Bill and Nardole, and even another Clara, who's sported so many iterations and reissues she's now the in-universe version of Shada.

Brilliant.

Isnt Anything

Christ he cannot even write a column never mind an episode.

one of the joys of reading DWM was the lovely prose tumbling out of RTDs or SMs fingers every month at the start of the mag.

but what on earth was THAT lumpen clunky uninspiring shite ?! ffs now i really AM worried for the future of Who. what a waste this might turn out to be for Jodie Whittaker and indeed all of us.

daf

Quoteuntil Peter, Steven and Brian had bowed out in a blaze of collective glory.

QuoteThe team we've built – some familiar faces, some new ones – are professionals at the top of their game.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Here's part one of a rather interesting interview with Moffat in which he looks back on his time on Doctor Who. Part two will be released next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwBlwGbVaA&index=1&list=PLKEzuOOEQvYMecMxfTEcNDLFPF4zv5IBC

kidsick5000

Quote from: mothman on January 07, 2018, 07:38:42 PM
In his absence...

Come back soon, Sheepy!
Quote2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 2016/01/21:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (S09(35)E07 (The Zygon Invasion) - S09(35)E12 (Hell Bent) plus Christmas Special (The Husbands of River Song))
2016/01/22 - 2017/04/15:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Pre-S10(36) speculation)
2017/04/15 - 2017/08/07:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2) (S10(36)E01 (The Pilot) - S10(36)E12 (The Doctor Falls))
2017/08/07 - 201?/??/??:   Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 3)  - you're reading it now)

Considering his run was not as memorable, the Capaldi era got through plenty of threads.

olliebean

Is anyone replacing Brian Minchin, btw? Or is Chibnall running things all by himself?

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on January 11, 2018, 11:26:33 PM
Is anyone replacing Brian Minchin, btw? Or is Chibnall running things all by himself?

Tracie Simpson?  Or were you referring to a different role?

QuoteOf course, lots of stalwarts remain. People like Hutcho – Mark Hutchings, our gaffer, who's been with the show since Rose in 2005. Andy Pryor, our casting guru, responsible for what, SIX Doctors now? (Seven if you include David Bradley.) Mark McQuoid, our phenomenal camera operator, the man with the camera in his hands for all your favourite shots these past few years. Deian and his amazing sound team. Sandra the brilliant production secretary dishing out thoughts for the day. Danny Hargreaves, the King of FX. Neill, Kate and Rob from Millennium, dreaming up new monsters. Jo Pearce, the interactive genius. James DeHaviland, now our production manager. Steffan Morris, estimable line producer, Dame Nikki Wilson, now series producer – and glorious Tracie Simpson, the backbone of Doctor Who since 2005, and now our production executive. And many, many more besides. All of them channelling their enthusiasm and experience to figure out how we tell these brand-new stories.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: olliebean on January 11, 2018, 11:26:33 PM

dont worry he will show you rather than tell you all in good time

( edited cos after my post first appeared just after rfvs informative post above i thought it a bit mean and useless so cut it back to just 'dick head post ignore' but now that rfv managed to quote it and reply i put it back again if that makes sense which it probably does not sorry )

Replies From View

Quote from: Isnt Anything on January 11, 2018, 11:30:51 PM
dont worry he will show you rather than tell you all in good time

He'll tell you that he'll show you rather than tell you.

daf

QuoteOf course, lots of stalwarts remain. People like Hutcho – Mark Hutchings, our gaffer,

Pryoro – casting guru
McQuoido – camera operator
Deiano – and his amazing sound team
Sandrao – production secretary
Hargreaveseyo  – the King of FX
Neillo, Kateyo and Robbo from Minellium
Pearceyo – interactive genius
DeHavilandeo  –  production manager
Morriso – line producer
Dame Wilsonno – series producer
Simpsono – production executive

Shaky

Quote from: daf on January 12, 2018, 11:44:00 AM
Pryoro – casting guru
McQuoido – camera operator
Deiano – and his amazing sound team
Sandrao – production secretary
Hargreaveseyo  – the King of FX
Neillo, Kateyo and Robbo from Minellium
Pearceyo – interactive genius
DeHavilandeo  –  production manager
Morriso – line producer
Dame Wilsonno – series producer
Simpsono – production executive

Whitto - The Doctor

Norton Canes

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2018, 06:09:18 PM
There's something so characteristically Chibnall about the remark "We'd rather keep things for when we can show you, rather than tell you."

"Hmm, I want to communicate to the readership that I wish to show them, rather than tell them.  Is that a cliche?  Not sure.  Is there some roundabout way I can communicate this to make it more interesting?  An anecdote?  A metaphor?  Something poetic? 

...nah, fuck it.  I'll just tell them."

The lack of imagination and the cogs tangibly cranking away before finally offering up a risible cliche.  It's all there.

Yeah, I mean, how dare he?

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 12, 2018, 12:55:48 PM
Yeah, I mean, how dare he?

I forgot to mention that as well as writing one uninspiring and clunky column in the latest issue of DWM, he is also taking over the showrunning duties of Doctor Who and will be writing many episodes of it over the next few years.  (I thought everyone already knew.)

That's why it's relevant to fixate on his skills and limitations as a writer in a Doctor Who Series 11 thread.

gilbertharding

mothman

QuoteOf course, lots of stalwarts remain. People like Hutcho – Mark Hutchings, our gaffer, who's been with the show since Rose in 2005. Andy Pryor, our casting guru, responsible for what, SIX Doctors now? (Seven if you include David Bradley.) Mark McQuoid, our phenomenal camera operator, the man with the camera in his hands for all your favourite shots these past few years. Deian and his amazing sound team. Sandra the brilliant production secretary dishing out thoughts for the day. Danny Hargreaves, the King of FX. Neill, Kate and Rob from Millennium, dreaming up new monsters. Jo Pearce, the interactive genius. James DeHaviland, now our production manager. Steffan Morris, estimable line producer, Dame Nikki Wilson, now series producer – and glorious Tracie Simpson, the backbone of Doctor Who since 2005, and now our production executive. And many, many more besides. All of them channelling their enthusiasm and experience to figure out how we tell these brand-new stories.

This reminds me of one of those scenes in mob films where the Don makes a speech and goes around the table introducing all the family bosses there (mainly so we the audience know who's who). It usually ends with one of them being killed for some minor transgression. Somebody in this list is about to be riddled with bullets by somebody hiding in a big cake. My money's on Tracie.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on January 12, 2018, 01:43:08 PM
I forgot to mention that as well as writing one uninspiring and clunky column in the latest issue of DWM, he is also taking over the showrunning duties of Doctor Who and will be writing many episodes of it over the next few years.  (I thought everyone already knew.)

That's why it's relevant to fixate on his skills and limitations as a writer in a Doctor Who Series 11 thread.

It's sweet how you're writing him off in advance, based on his style of writing a magazine column.

Isnt Anything

It is not an unreasonable thing to cause concern though, given just how good the columns of his two predecessors were, is it ?

If he were showrunning without doing any actual writing then it might not be quite so worrying but as it is it seems he is going to be doing even more writing than they did. And since both Davies and Moffat rewrote nearly all of the scripts anyway, a non-writing role would not be very practical in any case.

I agree we should reserve final judgement until we see some episodes but i cannot see how that column does not give you cause for concern.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 12, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
It's sweet how you're writing him off in advance, based on his style of writing a magazine column.

There is also the evidence of all his television writing to date, don't forget.

And I wasn't writing him off in advance anyway.  I was criticising a column in DWM that exhibits his mediocrity as a writer.

mothman

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... could he perhaps not yet have found his voice, article-wise? Writing screenplays and writing articles are very different things. In essence, a screenwriter writes dialogue, in many voices. It's a bit of a leap from that to writing a monologue of sorts in one's own voice. What were the other two's first DWM columns like?