Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1)

Started by Norton Canes, January 07, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 09, 2018, 09:59:07 AMRUSSELL T DAVIES - The former showrunner returns to write this issue's Production Notes column.

Haha what ? is this an admission that Chibbers cannot write it for shit ?

I've said it before, but what the heck...

The Name of the Doctor - The Doctor and Clara go forward to a future time where the Doctor's grave is on the ruined planet of Trenzalore.  It's all part of a trap where the Great Intelligence enters the Doctor's timeline and tries to re-write his lives.  Clara follows as a means of undoing its interference and defeating its plans, and the Doctor subsequently rescues her.

The Time of the Doctor - The instant approaches on Trenzalore where the Doctor died in the final battle referred to in the above story.  But Clara manages to intercede with the Time Lords, and they grant him a new regenerative cycle, which means he wins the battle, he doesn't die there, the TARDIS isn't abandoned there, the population live on.  So the 'future', the potential one that the Doctor and Clara visited in the earlier story, isn't going to happen.  Like the Master's one-year rule of Earth as Harold Saxon, it's been deleted frtom history in effect, and only those who were present for that adventure will remember the events of it.

So the Intelligence can't try the same trick again and neither its nor Clara's intervention in the Doctors' history happened any more.  Their interventions have been wiped from history too.  So the Intelligence's attempt to change the TARDIS the Doctor travelled in, and Clara's attempt to put that right have both been cancelled out.

purlieu

Replies From View

So is Day of the Doctor erased too?

Hope not.

Norton Canes

Malcy

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 09, 2018, 05:04:37 PM
Did anyone take telesnaps?

No, i did hold a microphone up to the TV at the time though. I'll get the tapes sent to Mark Ayers as soon as he sends me a SAE.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 09, 2018, 04:25:25 PM
So is Day of the Doctor erased too?

Hope not.

No, no reason why it should be.

By the way, there's preview extracts of the New Who Target novelisations available on Amazon, if anyone's interested.

Isnt Anything

Brilliant !

But the question that nobody in that Twitter thread is asking, still less getting an answer to, is why are RTD and Moffat in the same place at the same time right now ? Thats the biggest take away from this lovely photo for me.

FredNurke

They were both on Graham Norton's Radio 2 show last Saturday promoting their new Target novelisations, so they may well be doing other bits of publicity.

Replies From View

As "former Doctor Who showrunners" they are now allowed to be best friends and spend all their time together.

Replies From View

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-04-21/doctor-who-production-team-confirm-subtle-tom-baker-easter-egg-in-peter-capaldis-last-episode/

QuoteAs Sanders explains in the piece, the issue facing the design team was that in the original Tardis design one of the walls was merely a photograph of the trademark circular roundels, which wouldn't stand up well on modern TV screens.

"Fortunately, our production designer, Michael Pickwoad, came up with an intriguing solution," Sanders said.

"For the 50th anniversary story, The Day of the Doctor (2013), he'd designed a wall of hexagonal roundels for the National Gallery scene when Tom Baker appeared as the Curator.

"This TARDIS-style wall was intended as a nod to Baker's previous role as the Fourth Doctor and to the Curator's possible relationship with the current Doctor."

They needed a new wall, and they had an intriguing new pattern – so why not solve the problem with an oblique Easter Egg?

"Our workshop still had the moulds, so we commissioned some new vacuum-formed plastic hexagons, as a modern reinterpretation of the 1960s photographic wall," Sanders wrote.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: FredNurke on April 22, 2018, 02:46:28 AM
They were both on Graham Norton's Radio 2 show last Saturday promoting their new Target novelisations, so they may well be doing other bits of publicity.

Ah yes of course i should have thought of that. Thanks.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on April 22, 2018, 08:34:27 AM
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-04-21/doctor-who-production-team-confirm-subtle-tom-baker-easter-egg-in-peter-capaldis-last-episode/
QuoteAs Sanders explains in the piece, the issue facing the design team was that in the original Tardis design one of the walls was merely a photograph of the trademark circular roundels, which wouldn't stand up well on modern TV screens.

Still think they squandered some rib-tickling gag potential there -

Bill : Hang on, (running her finger down the wall) these aren't real - it's just a massive photograph!

First Doctor : Ah yes, my dear - well spotted. It's a Time Lord invention - we like to call it . . . "Wall Paper".

phantom_power

Quote from: Isnt Anything on April 22, 2018, 02:34:17 AM
Brilliant !

But the question that nobody in that Twitter thread is asking, still less getting an answer to, is why are RTD and Moffat in the same place at the same time right now ? Thats the biggest take away from this lovely photo for me.

The question nobody is asking is why is someone taking a photo of someone taking a photo? Surely the photo being taken in the photo is enough

Norton Canes

They're not taking a photo. They're showing him a photo. Of Chris Chibnall.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 23, 2018, 09:38:33 AMOf Chris Chibnall.

LOL 'This is all YOUR fault ! Look what you made us do !!'

No i know that doesnt really make much sense but it made me laugh so there.

phantom_power

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 23, 2018, 09:38:33 AM
They're not taking a photo. They're showing him a photo. Of Chris Chibnall.

Look at my balls!

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on April 23, 2018, 09:34:40 AM
The question nobody is asking is why is someone taking a photo of someone taking a photo? Surely the photo being taken in the photo is enough

Mate it's the 90s.  Everything is as meta as fuck now if you hadn't noticed.

Thomas

I've listened to this so many times since the Series 9 soundtrack was made available.

Whatever their controversial volume during broadcast, I find the tracks of the last thirteen years so evocative - whether of holding back idiotic tears during a family viewing of a Christmas regeneration, the Series 3 thrill of the Master's return, or sitting and staring at the BBC Doctor Who homepage back in 2006 because it played the 'Doomsday' theme on a loop. Even the blippy-bloppy stuff from Series 1 has a small place in my heart.

purlieu

There's a particular theme from Matt's era that I absolutely love, but it's one that only crops up every now and then. I've been meaning to find out exactly what it is for ages now. Might do that tomorrow.

Thomas

Go on, describe it, or give any scenes you recall it accompanying. I bet one of the fuckin' nerds 'round here can identify it.

purlieu

A bit melancholic, I suppose bittersweet or wistful maybe.

Thomas

Amy's theme?

I originally included it in my above post as a prediction, but then deleted it. If I'm right I'll go back in time and kick myself.

purlieu

It might be the bit at 1.28 but I'm not sure. Once I get around to rewatching it I'll be able to go 'ah yes it's that bit!' and point it out.

Also fucking hell, what is that mp3 encoded at? 2kbps?

lipsink

Quote from: purlieu on May 01, 2018, 09:53:14 PM
It might be the bit at 1.28 but I'm not sure. Once I get around to rewatching it I'll be able to go 'ah yes it's that bit!' and point it out.

Also fucking hell, what is that mp3 encoded at? 2kbps?

Or it could be 'Lonely Decision': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz9ZPcwDjXA

It's at 1:26 when I get a lump in my throat.

Kelvin

I really liked the more electronic stuff they did in series 8. The piece during the space battle at the start of Into The Dalek, and the piece with Clara and the Doctor standing in the desert at the end of Mummy on the Orient Express, in particular. Have they been released recently? They were only online in awful rips originally.

Kelvin

Actually the former is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USYrJ6T8SE

(starts at 0.13)

and the latter is here, also in awful sound quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DhLZE2yaiQ

The piece starting at 0.52. Very reminiscent of Vangelis' romance theme.

samadriel

Quotethe piece with Clara and the Doctor standing in the desert at the end of Mummy on the Orient Express, in particular
I loved that too, the image and the music, plus having been preceded by an excellent episode, has been the only bit of New Who that's replicated, for me, the buzz of reading a really good Virgin/BBC Who novel. That's what I'd been chasing for a long time!

purlieu

Quote from: Kelvin on May 02, 2018, 10:35:21 AM
I really liked the more electronic stuff they did in series 8.
You'll be happy to hear that Gold's replacement is someone who has a history of making electronic music, then.