Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1)

Started by Norton Canes, January 07, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

For what it's worth, I don't reckon that first column from Chibnall is much if at all worse than the slew of similarly generic and hype-ridden efforts from his two predecessors.

Norton Canes

Quote from: mothman on January 12, 2018, 04:14:32 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... could he perhaps not yet have found his voice, article-wise? Writing screenplays and writing articles are very different things. In essence, a screenwriter writes dialogue, in many voices. It's a bit of a leap from that to writing a monologue of sorts in one's own voice

So hang on, do you still want to kill him?

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 12, 2018, 04:15:48 PM
For what it's worth, I don't reckon that first column from Chibnall is much if at all worse than the slew of similarly generic and hype-ridden efforts from his two predecessors.

I'll dig out the first RTD and Moffat columns tonight for comparison.  I haven't seen them in a while so it'll be a fun exercise.

mothman

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 12, 2018, 04:16:53 PM
So hang on, do you still want to kill him?

I haven't decided how slowly, yet.

Replies From View

Looking back at the older DWM .pdfs, it's not possible to copy-paste the text from them, and I can't really be arsed to type out pages of text; I'm sorry.  What I can do is link to downloadable .pdfs though to save people time looking for them themselves.

Here's DWM 341, in which RTD began his regular column (skip to page 50):  http://vk.com/doc-37872956_323029273

I'll find and share Moffat's first column a bit later tonight.

Replies From View

DWM 405 has Moffat's first column (skip to page 11):  https://vk.com/doc-37872956_323513254

Please let me know if you're aware of contributions from RTD or Moffat that come earlier than those issues.  They were interviewed a few times before these contributions, but as far as I can tell these were the first columns they wrote.

Thomas

Nice work, Replies. Your diligence is appreciated.

I only buy DWM occasionally, as it's 'spensive, but I do quite like to get the landmark issues. Is there much going on in the current issue beyond the 'Jodie Whittaker is' cover?

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on January 12, 2018, 06:01:57 PM
Is there much going on in the current issue beyond the 'Jodie Whittaker is' cover?

There are decent interviews with Whittaker and Talalay, plus the guy who did the CGI work for Twice Upon a Time.  Some nice pieces on Dudley Simpson, as well as a feature on the work done to recreate the 1966 TARDIS in Twice Upon a Time.

I liked it.

mothman

Oh, they're all awful. That settles it:

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 12, 2018, 06:22:17 PM
Oh, they're all awful.

I respectfully disagree.  RTD and Moffat may both say very little in their first columns due to secrecy issues, but they satisfyingly communicate where they are in their respective processes, and their enthusiasm bubbles through.  They are both writing in a way that feels relaxed and natural - it flows easily and it's a pleasure to read, whereas what you always get in Chibnall's writing is a sense of the labour that's gone into forming it.  Not in a good way, either - it's not like Chibnall ends up crafting something sublime with his efforts - it just lacks the fizz of either RTD and Moffat following a stream of consciousness or making bizarre/humorous associations.  It feels more like Chibnall has a template in his mind for how sentences and paragraphs should be formed, and he's meticulously following that template all the time, the way a school pupil does.

Compare how Moffat hangs his first column on the hook of how a young Doctor might be perceived, before building to how perfect he regards Matt Smith for the role.  Then he promises that we'll love Matt in 2010.  Yes the narrative of his younger self being shocked by the youthful nature of Tom Baker doesn't ring true, but that's where I'd say it feels like a mere magazine column rather than something more important.  You can still hear Moffat's voice in the article, and his own enthusiasm is exciting.  By contrast, Chibnall basically says he has nothing to say yet, and probably won't say much over the next few months due to working on the show.  That's a fair enough decision, but the way he writes is so lacking in sparkle that it's frustrating at this stage, when we want to be excited about the show's future.  Nothing to say about Whittaker's casting, or anything that led up to it.  Nothing about the perceptual shifts that make the casting of a woman feel right at this stage.  Just nothing.

Small Man Big Horse

Apologies if this has been posted before in the previous thread, but here's the season 10 deleted scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bupTCmouOnI - it's nowt essential but there's a couple of cute moments.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on January 12, 2018, 06:12:39 PM
Talalay
Boom-dee-ay
QuoteTalalay
Boom-dee-ay
QuoteTalalay
Boom-dee-ay
QuoteTalalay
Boom-dee-ay

mothman

Ta-la-la-lalay, way down in the... vallay..?

Isnt Anything

Quote from: mothman on January 12, 2018, 04:14:32 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... could he perhaps not yet have found his voice, article-wise? Writing screenplays and writing articles are very different things. In essence, a screenwriter writes dialogue, in many voices. It's a bit of a leap from that to writing a monologue of sorts in one's own voice.

Yessss i was wondering whether to give him the benefit of that particular doubt myself. Again let us hope you are right.

Quote from: mothman on January 12, 2018, 04:14:32 PMWhat were the other two's first DWM columns like?
Quote from: Norton Canes on January 12, 2018, 04:15:48 PM

I was going to disagree here but then i (re-)read the first columns of the other two thanks to RFVs excellence and figured that i do not need to disagree because the stark difference speaks for itself.

Then it turns out that mothman does not rate them after all. wow! ok well we agree to disagree then. To me the difference is night and day for the reasons RFV gives - the RTD one in particular is wonderfully witty, flowing and enthusiastic compared to Chibnall's drab wooden monotone reeling off lists.

I do hope mothman is right about simply needing to find an article voice ....

mothman

Oh, I don't know anything anymore. Except, that it's going to be a long eight months.

olliebean

In other news, we learn what I thought was probably the case, that Jodie Whittaker had significant input into her costume design. Which presumably means it's our best clue so far as to how she sees her take on the character.

I'm choosing not to draw any conclusions, on the grounds that I can't think of any good ones to draw.

Kelvin

Quote from: olliebean on January 13, 2018, 12:54:52 PM
In other news, we learn what I thought was probably the case, that Jodie Whittaker had significant input into her costume design. Which presumably means it's our best clue so far as to how she sees her take on the character.

I'm choosing not to draw any conclusions, on the grounds that I can't think of any good ones to draw.

Maybe she'll have a pair of imaginary friends called zippy and bungle.

notjosh

Quote from: olliebean on January 13, 2018, 12:54:52 PM

Replies From View

What happens when you land on the man on the bottom left?  And why hasn't he been stuck on the board properly?

Deanjam

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 13, 2018, 02:20:55 PM
A love explosion.

Of what?  The usual materials or something unique to the game?

mothman

Now now, don't be mean. He has people skills; he is good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2018, 02:43:01 PM
Now now, don't be mean. He has people skills; he is good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Then why must we land on him?

mothman

I'd make some comment about predictably getting the one person who never saw the movie, but truth be told loads of people never saw it...

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2018, 03:04:34 PM
I'd make some comment about predictably getting the one person who never saw the movie, but truth be told loads of people never saw it...

If it can't stand up on its own then it is not good enough.

Show the next picture.

Replies From View

Isnt Anything

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2018, 03:04:34 PM

...including me !

What movie was it ?

kidsick5000

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2018, 02:43:01 PM

I get you. Ignore these fools and their frankly shocking lack of movie knowledge.

mothman

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 13, 2018, 07:46:26 PM
I get you. Ignore these fools and their frankly shocking lack of movie knowledge.

Shall we put them out of their misery? Or we could just tell them the answer? *badum-PISH*

Isnt Anything

its ok i reverse gissed it.

Office Space.