Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1)

Started by Norton Canes, January 07, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 16, 2018, 03:41:11 PM
Acknowledging that you don't understand what a trailer is.

And this is you being polite and impersonal, is it?

I'm going to put all this down to the hot weather and assume no hard feelings.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on July 16, 2018, 03:48:14 PM
I thought they were ok but didn't really get the calls for them to have their own spin-off. Jenny would have been a good companion. She would be less amazed at the creatures they would have encountered but the future would have been eye opening for her.

Did they get their own spin-off stories on Big Finish?  The other Jenny (from "The Doctor's Daughter") has, I think.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2018, 03:49:30 PM
And this is you being polite and impersonal, is it?

No, it's me getting fed up with your bad faith and lack of basic comprehension skills.

It's obvious what's happening in the trailer, albeit perhaps only if you watch it on a TV-sized screen. It's obvious the series isn't going to be shot and edited like the trailer, any more than this was the case for previous trailers, or indeed any trailer for any programme or film ever made. It's such a bizarre argument I'm amazed a grown adult would think it was reasonable. That you respond by attacking the person pointing out how ridiculous you're being does neither you nor your argument any favours.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2018, 03:50:51 PM
Did they get their own spin-off stories on Big Finish?  The other Jenny (from "The Doctor's Daughter") has, I think.

Jenny from The Doctor's Daughter has but neither Jenny or Madame Vastra have done a BF but i could be wrong. Strax has though. He appeared in Jago & Lightfoot & Strax (The 2 characters from The Talons Of Weng Chiang).

purlieu

Quote from: mothman on July 16, 2018, 03:39:32 PM
Randomly, this just made me note that it has been four years since there was a Paternoster Gang episode. Guessing were not likely to see more from them. I didn't mind them personally but appreciate they weren't everyone's cup of tea.
I think Moffat actually said he wasn't considering returning to them after Deep Breath. Which is fair enough, they served a very specific transitional purpose in that episode, but generally I associate them with Matt Smith really.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 16, 2018, 04:03:41 PM
No, it's me getting fed up with your bad faith and lack of basic comprehension skills.

It's obvious what's happening in the trailer, albeit perhaps only if you watch it on a TV-sized screen. It's obvious the series isn't going to be shot and edited like the trailer, any more than this was the case for previous trailers, or indeed any trailer for any programme or film ever made. It's such a bizarre argument I'm amazed a grown adult would think it was reasonable. That you respond by attacking the person pointing out how ridiculous you're being does neither you nor your argument any favours.

For fuck's sake, mate.

1) I didn't say anything about not watching it on a TV sized screen.
2) Loads of people in this thread expressed confusion about what was going on in the trailer, and the fact you've singled me out for this is ludicrous.
3) You disagree with me; fine.  But you are saying that what's happening in the trailer is "obvious" just because you perceived it in the intended way.  This follows your insistence that it is "in character for [me to be] pretty unaware of other people's thought processes and following [my] own train of thinking as the one true way."  Do you need me to point out this irony?
4) I didn't say that the series would be shot and edited "like a trailer".  I was talking specifically about the director's decision to not make the geography clear or highlight certain details that we needed to see.  This is a problem that affected a few episodes in Moffat's time too, and it's never ideal.  You have blown this remark entirely out of proportion, anyway.
5) I don't even want to say how much your "bad faith" comment sticks in my craw after your endless assumptions about my tone and motives up to now.  I posted that I approached this trailer without prejudice towards Chibnall, and as far as I can tell you've dismissed that.  Again:  if you could offer your views of the latest Doctor Who trailer without making it about me, that would be grand.

mothman

Look, seriously, this is a hell of an argument to grow out of BA's Gallifrey Base (or was it Outpost Gallifrey? No don't answer that, I don't actually care) joke.

Quote from: purlieu on July 16, 2018, 04:13:00 PM
I think Moffat actually said he wasn't considering returning to them after Deep Breath. Which is fair enough, they served a very specific transitional purpose in that episode, but generally I associate them with Matt Smith really.

That was my assumption. And I agree, a full televisual spin-off would have been a bit of a stretch, especially given the overall (not overwheming) standard of Who spin-offs. I thought it might have been fun teaming them up with those two female Torchwood agents who first recruited Harkness, but then I remembered they were Edwardian not Victorian so that'd be a non-starter.

Bad Ambassador

I can't be bothered with this anymore. Go back to your little misery bubble, where you rub your hands at the prospect of saying "I told you so!" when the new series is anything less than the second coming.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 16, 2018, 04:37:04 PM
I can't be bothered with this anymore. Go back to your little misery bubble, where you rub your hands at the prospect of saying "I told you so!" when the new series is anything less than the second coming.

This is "obviously" not what I am doing, and you can stuff your aggressive misreadings up your arse.

mothman

And now the healing can begin.

I noticed this on the series 11 Wiki page:

QuoteOn 8 March 2018, Alan Cumming announced that he had been cast as King James I in an episode of the series. On 25 March, comedian Lee Mack stated that he would make a brief appearance in one episode.

A "brief" appearance I can probably handle...

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on July 16, 2018, 05:03:12 PM

I keep thinking Lee Mack has already appeared in the show, before remembering again that it was Frank Skinner.  A pairing for the prosopagnosia thread, maybe.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 16, 2018, 02:06:30 PM
Just with regard to these disparaging posts about GB - I can't speak for the majority of the GB forums but I mostly stick to the 'Past Doctor Who' section which sticks mostly, as you would expect, to discussion of the 'classic' era (with some relaunched series stuff, because that's old enough to be considered 'past' now) and it's almost nothing but well-informed, engaging and most of all polite analysis and debate

I am beginning to see some irony in this comment.

Replies From View

Sorry everyone.

Actually, fuck it.  It was a stupid runaround but I'm allowed to let off steam when somebody's been misreading me and having a go at me for it for years.

I kind of regret that it played out here, but it's all part of the rich CaB tapestry, innit.

Deanjam

Quote from: pigamus on July 16, 2018, 03:03:37 PM
That Silurian two-parter was quite good. If the series is roughly like that then I wouldn't mind too much.

Disliked these episodes. The Doctor being chummy with the Silurian doctor who had been performing vivisections on humans but being judgemental to the emotionally distraught mum who he'd left in charge of the prisoner despite knowing her state of mind. Awful.

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on July 16, 2018, 05:06:35 PM
I keep thinking Lee Mack has already appeared in the show, before remembering again that it was Frank Skinner.  A pairing for the prosopagnosia thread, maybe.

Could have been much worse, I saw the name and pictured Lee Hurst...

Thomas

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 16, 2018, 04:37:04 PM

Not calling you a bad Who fan or anything, but that was actually Russell T. Davies. Chibnall did Broadchurch.

Mister Six

Quote from: Deanjam on July 16, 2018, 05:17:06 PM
Disliked these episodes. The Doctor being chummy with the Silurian doctor who had been performing vivisections on humans but being judgemental to the emotionally distraught mum who he'd left in charge of the prisoner despite knowing her state of mind. Awful.

They really were catastrophically shit - by far the worst things Chibnall has written for who - and I'm astonished anyone could enjoy them.

The bit at the end with Rory was all right - I assume that was written by Moffat.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Deanjam on July 16, 2018, 05:17:06 PM
Disliked these episodes. The Doctor being chummy with the Silurian doctor who had been performing vivisections on humans but being judgemental to the emotionally distraught mum who he'd left in charge of the prisoner despite knowing her state of mind. Awful

The first episode was a reasonably effective stab at some old-school Pertwee-esque monster action featuring a scientific project gone awry and some base-under-siege stuff. The conclusion was a right mess, especially the 'drama' wrung from Amy's attempts to broker peace between humans and Silurians.

Plus, how come the Silurians had a vast underground city? I thought they'd only retreated to cave systems as a last-minute measure once they realised the moon might be on a collision course with the Earth. They didn't live in caves, they just used them for their bunkers.

mothman

I find it hard to separate the events of the two Silurian eps from those of the previous one with the Dream Lord/Doctor. That's a three-ep run where it all feels like a bit of a hodge-podge. I doin't think the Silurian story even really needed to be two episodes, though they had to add in the stuff with Rory being erased, I guess.

Thomas

Quote from: Mister Six on July 16, 2018, 05:19:28 PM
The bit at the end with Rory was all right - I assume that was written by Moffat.

When I showed my partner Series 5 (only the brilliant and vital episodes - we haven't got all day, you know), I skimmed the entire story and only put on that scene. Context: 'There are some lizard people and they're underground.' As such I don't think I've watched the full two-parter since it was broadcast. Perhaps I should. Or not. I haven't got all day.

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 16, 2018, 05:21:07 PM
Plus, how come the Silurians had a vast underground city? I thought they'd only retreated to cave systems as a last-minute measure once they realised the moon might be on a collision course with the Earth. They didn't live in caves, they just used them for their bunkers.

They squinted at the moon more closely and went 'oh it's only an egg, we've got plenty of time'.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on July 16, 2018, 05:03:12 PM
And now the healing can begin.

I think he said in an interview that it's a 'blink and you'll miss it' type of cameo. I'd love to see Lee Evans reprise his role as Malcolm and team up with other comedy actors like Lee Mack in a kind of Think Tank.

Thomas

Quote from: Malcy on July 16, 2018, 05:27:51 PM
I think he said in an interview that it's a 'blink and you'll miss it' type of cameo.

Interesting. Can't really picture him as a Weeping Angel.

Malcy

Not to begin a Moffat-bash but worth remembering that he had a lot to do with people's scripts and their final versions. RTD done the same thing. Just because someone's episode was a bit shoddy they can't have the full blame for it, especially when stuff had to be added in or requested by Moffat to add to the overall arc of a particular series.

purlieu

Love the first episode of the Silurian two-parter. Second was a bit dull.
I really like The Power of Three.

mothman

It's not that Po3 is bad, it's just very similar to the Silurian eps. It could do with having another ep in between.

Malcy

Power of Three is one if the few Smith era episodes I've seen multiple times. Really enjoyed it. Shame Berkoff was such a wankoff.

Norton Canes

Will Jodie be using just the one expression during her entire tenure?

purlieu

Quote from the article that ties in with earlier discussions in this thread:

"If you've never seen Doctor Who, or want to introduce your children or family and friends to it, this series it the perfect point to start," says Chibnall. "It was really important to me that there's no barrier to entry. You don't need to know anything that's come before. We've got a new Doctor, all-new characters, all-new monsters, all-new stories."

There are publicity shots from the teaser, beans on toast and all.

Replies From View

And also John Craven is still alive!

mothman

Well, he is on Countryfile every week...