Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 749
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#Oprah2020

Started by Twed, January 08, 2018, 06:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Fambo Number Mive

It would be interesting to see what she did - I imagine that she'd be a conservative Democrat like Clinton, though probably not as hawkish and I can't imagine any scandals.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 09, 2018, 09:26:11 PM
It would be interesting to see what she did - I imagine that she'd be a conservative Democrat like Clinton, though probably not as hawkish and I can't imagine any scandals.

So it begins...

Sebastian Cobb

I misread this earlier and thought it was advocating oprah. Mistook a sensible vice article for a silly vice article basically.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yw5n8x/i-cant-believe-i-have-to-explain-why-oprah-shouldnt-be-president

biggytitbo

Shows how deep the crisis is in American politics. They have no answers, and no policies to address the decline in living standards and alienation of hugh swathes of the country. That's why everyones lost their mind over Trump, who is a symptom of this failure not the cause,  screaming and wailing about Russia and scandals and conspiracies, none of the things are a solution to anything, they're a replacement for a real vision and worldview that might improve people lives. Oprah would just be the alternative universe trump, a political naivete and populist who will say all the nice lovely things her side of the country want to hear but actually have no real answers to anything.

The problem would be, like Obama and hillary, I'd be much easy to paper over the cracks with Oprah, because she'd be civil and smooth and talk well, whereas with Trump he's so cosmically awful that nobody can be under any illusions about how broken the system is. If only the Democrats weren't part of the problem - neocons with identity politics, this would be a golden opportunity to form a coherent response to the forces that brought the absurd orange man baby to power.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 09, 2018, 09:44:31 PM
I misread this earlier and thought it was advocating oprah. Mistook a sensible vice article for a silly vice article basically.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yw5n8x/i-cant-believe-i-have-to-explain-why-oprah-shouldnt-be-president
I've been following Eve Peyser on Twitter for a long time. She is good.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 09, 2018, 09:54:33 PM
Shows how deep the crisis is in American politics. They have no answers, and no policies to address the decline in living standards and alienation of hugh swathes of the country. That's why everyones lost their mind over Trump, who is a symptom of this failure not the cause,  screaming and wailing about Russia and scandals and conspiracies, none of the things are a solution to anything, they're a replacement for a real vision and worldview that might improve people lives. Oprah would just be the alternative universe trump, a political naivete and populist who will say all the nice lovely things her side of the country want to hear but actually have no real answers to anything.

The problem would be, like Obama and hillary, I'd be much easy to paper over the cracks with Oprah, because she'd be civil and smooth and talk well, whereas with Trump he's so cosmically awful that nobody can be under any illusions about how broken the system is. If only the Democrats weren't part of the problem - neocons with identity politics, this would be a golden opportunity to form a coherent response to the forces that brought the absurd orange man baby to power.
This is one of those times where you're transmitting on my frequency, Biggy.

biggytitbo

Well she's got bill kristols endorsement -
QuoteBill Kristol
Oprah: Pro-regime change in Iraq (see her Oct. 9, 2002 show).
#ImWithHer

biggytitbo

Interesting attack on Oprah here, obviously her show was never that big here so most of us probably aren't aware how much tripe she has promoted over the years https://slate.com/health-and-science/2018/01/oprah-winfrey-helped-create-our-irrational-pseudoscientific-american-fantasyland.html

QuoteAny assessment of her possible presidential bid should consider the irrational, pseudoscientific free for all she helped create.