Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Schweinstein 2: Sexual Abuse & Misconduct Allegations In Hollywood. Or Anywhere.

Started by Dr Rock, January 15, 2018, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: Isnt Anything on May 10, 2018, 08:46:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44072481

Weinstein's apparently-hapless wife speaks out for the first time. Interesting and rather sad if true.

Not buying she knew absolutely nothing.

Z

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 10, 2018, 09:07:07 PM
Not buying she knew absolutely nothing.

Why not? Is there anything that suggests she was turning a blind eye or helping a cover-up? She might have heard people say things about her husband, but as he's a powerful executive in Hollywood, she probably expected some bitching.

If she knew nothing, it sounds like she would be literally the only person who was associated with Weinstein who had no idea about his reputation. It seems really unlikely that she knew nothing when one of the disturbing features of this case was that everybody knew something.

Bronzy

Quote from: Z on May 20, 2018, 12:58:51 PM
If you include statutory, this is the least surprising news ever

Arthur and the Paedophiles
Leon: The Rapist
The Fifth Sexual Assault
Valerian and the Penis of a Thousand Nonces

phantom_power

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 20, 2018, 01:35:00 PM
If she knew nothing, it sounds like she would be literally the only person who was associated with Weinstein who had no idea about his reputation. It seems really unlikely that she knew nothing when one of the disturbing features of this case was that everybody knew something.

Though to be fair, of everyone who might be the last person to know, his wife would be pretty high on the list

up_the_hampipe

Did everyone know he was an abuser? I heard that he mostly had a reputation as a womaniser, which his wife could have thought was his past or just typical rumours based on all the beautiful actresses associated with him.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 09, 2018, 10:54:55 AM
They clearly only expelled Polanski because they needed to expel Cosby after his very recent and very public conviction, but they couldn't have expelled just Cosby without drawing charges of hypocrisy for keeping Polanski in. So out Polanski goes.

That's pretty much what Spotify have done though isn't it? R Kelly is expunged from playlists for being a wrong 'un by modern standards in modern times but Lennon, James Brown and I dunnno, Chuck Berry are still allowed. I suppose being much better helps.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 20, 2018, 02:06:58 PM
Did everyone know he was an abuser? I heard that he mostly had a reputation as a womaniser, which his wife could have thought was his past or just typical rumours based on all the beautiful actresses associated with him.

It would seem that almost everybody knew that he was a lech who often pushed things too far rather than just a guy that had a lot of dates, but not everyone may have known of the extent of his criminal behaviour. I just think it's very unlikely that his wife was totally oblivious, but I can only speculate of course.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2018, 02:09:40 PM
That's pretty much what Spotify have done though isn't it? R Kelly is expunged from playlists for being a wrong 'un by modern standards in modern times but Lennon, James Brown and I dunnno, Chuck Berry are still allowed. I suppose being much better helps.

Yes, everyone who's had untested allegations made against them should be treated even-handedly. It's unlikely to happen though, because that would involve the application of justice.

ieXush2i

It's a bit different in that Kelly is currently operating a sex cult and possibly trafficking, charges that have been levied against him for two decades. Not forgetting the piss tape and him marrying a child whose career he had a huge part in.

Although I broadly agree about the general inconsistency, those figures aren't clear-cut comparisons. Cosby and Polanski were both convicted and charged for exactly the same type of crime, so the link couldn't be clearer. Whereas it's arguable that the respective transgressions of R Kelly and John Lennon aren't clearly equivalent in the way that those of Cosby and Polanski are.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Morgan Freeman now. From Variety:

QuoteEight women accused Morgan Freeman of harassment and inappropriate behavior, according to a report from CNN.

A production assistant who worked on "Going In Style" in 2015 alleges Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure on a regular basis.

"He did comment on our bodies... We knew that if he was coming by ... not to wear any top that would show our breasts, not to wear anything that would show our bottoms, meaning not wearing clothes that [were] fitted," she said.

biggytitbo

Freeman been accused for years about having an affair with his step granddaughter hasn't he?

bgmnts

I cant tell a woman she looks great in an outfit? Is that a new rule or an existing one I was unaware of?

JamesTC

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 24, 2018, 04:40:39 PM
Has Freeman been accused for years about having an affair with his step granddaughter hasn't he?

In a dance as old as time.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2018, 04:42:18 PM
I cant tell a woman she looks great in an outfit? Is that a new rule or an existing one I was unaware of?

New rule. But still a rule.

To be serious I think it's more the consistent tendency to comment every single day. If someone said you have a nice arse, how long before it turns into harassment?

checkoutgirl

This is flawed. Do people who had nothing to do with something now have to prove they didn't know anything about it? Pick a random person off the street, now prove to me you are not a rapist. That's mad thinking.

bgmnts

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 24, 2018, 04:48:07 PM
New rule. But still a rule.

To be serious I think it's more the consistent tendency to comment every single day. If someone said you have a nice arse, how long before it turns into harassment?

Well no you wouldnt say 'i love your tits in that dress' or 'nice arse love' but like surely 'you look nice today' seems fair? I don't understand things like these but I think we should say nice things to each other.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2018, 04:52:04 PM
I think we should say nice things to each other.

I suppose women have to live with the reality that they are admired by men and men are horn dogs. I'm never complimented on my looks but if I was a woman I imagine I would be. Also whet Freeman was doing was commenting on arses and tits, wasn't it? Is that nice?

Noonling

I think it depends on a lot of things combined:
1) Words used ("That top looks good on you" vs "Smashing tits")
2) Frequency (a few times a month vs every day)
3) Body language (neutral vs staring at the tits or sliding an arm round the waist)
4) Where (at the desk with lots of people around vs in the tiny stationary closet in a low murmur)

No one (hopefully) would complain about an occasional compliment, but even "That top looks good on you" would be creepy if its said every day with a lick of the lips while bearing down on a woman.

Isnt Anything

I wouldnt even get as specific as 'top'. Just something like 'that outfit suits you' or 'youre looking good today if I may say so'.

But generally i never do, especially at work .... total minefield.

Steven

Quote from: Isnt Anything on May 24, 2018, 05:25:37 PM
I wouldnt even get as specific as 'top'. Just something like 'that outfit suits you' or 'youre looking good today if I may say so'.

But generally i never do, especially at work .... total minefield.

https://youtu.be/ALP3G0kAoMY?t=1m22s

ieXush2i

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 24, 2018, 04:50:27 PM
This is flawed. Do people who had nothing to do with something now have to prove they didn't know anything about it? Pick a random person off the street, now prove to me you are not a rapist. That's mad thinking.

Except his wife isn't a random person off the street. It's his wife.

She doesn't really have to prove or disprove anything, but I don't believe she didn't know.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Noonling on May 24, 2018, 05:05:04 PM
I think it depends on a lot of things combined:
1) Words used ("That top looks good on you" vs "Smashing tits")
2) Frequency (a few times a month vs every day)
3) Body language (neutral vs staring at the tits or sliding an arm round the waist)
4) Where (at the desk with lots of people around vs in the tiny stationary closet in a low murmur)

No one (hopefully) would complain about an occasional compliment, but even "That top looks good on you" would be creepy if its said every day with a lick of the lips while bearing down on a woman.

Here's an easy solution: think "would I say this to a bloke?" before you decide to "compliment" a woman.

ieXush2i

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 24, 2018, 04:54:54 PM
I suppose women have to live with the reality that they are admired by men and men are horn dogs. I'm never complimented on my looks but if I was a woman I imagine I would be. Also whet Freeman was doing was commenting on arses and tits, wasn't it? Is that nice?

Ah the old "boys will be boys" bullshit. It's just the natural order of things for women to be treated like objects.

lankyguy95

Quote from: (Ex poster) on May 24, 2018, 05:42:08 PM
Here's an easy solution: think "would I say this to a bloke?" before you decide to "compliment" a woman.
I compliment men on their tits all the time though.