Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,497
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Country series 2

Started by Blue Jam, January 15, 2018, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

i swear the guardian run that article every couple of weeks

Malcy

I watched 5 mins of the first episode then decided to stop and catch up later that day for various reasons and never went back to it but I like the whole premise of it. Think I'll watch the 2 series back to back once it's finished.

Blue Jam

I'm not sure about binge-watching this particular show- I was a bit disappointed with series 2 episode 1 at first, but after a couple more viewings I thought I had judged it a bit harshly and I loved it.

I think each episode of this show needs repeated viewings- thanks to the partly-improvised, naturalistic dialogue with characters talking over each other it's easy to miss things. I somehow missed the bit about "DNA all over a tennis racket cover" until my third viewing of Peeping Tom.

Slightly related to that, I also failed to realise that Paul "The Vicar" Chahidi was in The Death Of Stalin until my second viewing of that film.

paruses

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 05, 2018, 01:27:43 AM
I'm not sure about binge-watching this particular show- I was a bit disappointed with series 2 episode 1 at first, but after a couple more viewings I thought I had judged it a bit harshly and I loved it.

I think each episode of this show needs repeated viewings- thanks to the partly-improvised, naturalistic dialogue with characters talking over each other it's easy to miss things. I somehow missed the bit about "DNA all over a tennis racket cover" until my third viewing of Peeping Tom.

Slightly related to that, I also failed to realise that Paul "The Vicar" Chahidi was in The Death Of Stalin until my second viewing of that film.

I knew he looked familiar - and alarmingly like Nikolai Bulganin.

I suppose you could say it about anything but I think the show rewards with repeated viewings too and I got a lot more out of Peeping Tom, coincidentally, on the third viewing - including the tennis raquet bit (would appear that raquet isn't spelt like that any more according to the massive red underlining but I'm sticking with it).

Am holding off S2 as have promised wife we will watch it together when I return. However, maybe I will use your post to rationalize me not sticking to that.

BritishHobo

I love Martin. Proper unexpectedly well-observed character. Absolutely boring prick who thinks he's a real legend figure in the community. He delivers every line with such a brilliant self-assured wisdom. Just the way he reacted looking at that fucking slice of cake.

Blue Jam

Well-acted too- it's hard to believe Paul Cooper had never acted before he asked Daisy and Charlie for a part.

Have you heard the WTAF episodes where he's interviewed? His natural accent is very different- apparently Daisy and Charlie made him listen to the recordings of Fred West's police interviews as inspiration for Martin's accent. Bwahahaha... I wouldn't be surprised if they lurked here, they sound like our kind of people.

"I know Fred West's done some iffy things, but as a builder he was top-notch."

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 05, 2018, 01:38:27 PMAbsolutely boring prick who thinks he's a real legend figure in the community.

On the subject of LEGENDS, I really hope we hear more about Uncle Nugget. I wonder how he's coping with prison? Probably by "having a laugh".

I think there's a Legend Gene in the Mucklowe family...

non capisco

I had to keep rewinding and rewatching Kurtan and the wheelbarrow and skip. It was slaying me.

"Aaaand...out it goes!"

Blue Jam

Utter Shit

Quote from: non capisco on March 05, 2018, 09:58:44 PM
I had to keep rewinding and rewatching Kurtan and the wheelbarrow and skip. It was slaying me.

"Aaaand...out it goes!"

I can't remember the exact wording now and don't want to butcher it, but Kurtan's response when asked if he will always unload the bricks like that was delivered so well. Embarrassed, but trying to regain a big of dignity by answering as if it was a real question rather than a piss take.

non capisco

The icing on the cake is the single brick that's left in and falls back out of the wheelbarrow. It was a fantastic bit of physical comedy.

Blue Jam

The scene with slugs and the drink killed me. The build up of tension as he was saying how depressed he was, followed by the perfectly timed slap. Incredible.

Blue Jam

Deleted scene!

https://mobile.twitter.com/charliecooper11/status/971075324560793603

Martin is such a great character- a boring twat even when he's talking about sex.

Blue Jam

BBC Three have done another version of Perfect Day. It's a bit of a mawkfest- until Kerry and Kurtan show up:

https://twitter.com/bbcthree/status/972069840495235072

New episode today:

QuoteSeries 2, Episode 3 - Minor Injuries

It's the first Saturday of the month, and Kurtan wishes to make a pilgrimage to Swindon in order to buy the new clothes of the season. But his plans are disrupted by engineering works on the bus route and a lack of alternative transport options.

Kerry is helping the vicar run the local football practice and ends up requiring medical attention.

This one got a good write-up in The Observer- apparently it also makes a serious point about the lack of funding for public services and how people in rural areas are forgotten and neglected. Could be another bleak one, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Kurtan is still able to find No Fear t-shirts in 2018.

Next week's:

QuoteSeries 2, Episode 4 - The Vicar's Son

Rural life can feel slow paced to people from the city. When the vicar's son, Jacob, returns from living in Bristol, can Kurtan help him re-adjust to village life?

Kerry continues to try and give back to the local community by visiting her elderly neighbour Florence for "tea talk". Florence's cat, Tudor, has recently passed away and Kerry does her best to fill that emotional void.

Blue Jam

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 12, 2018, 10:07:37 AM
BBC Three have done another version of Perfect Day. It's a bit of a mawkfest- until Kerry and Kurtan show up:

https://twitter.com/bbcthree/status/972069840495235072

I honestly have no idea who any of those people are apart from Kerry & Kurtan. How come Kurupt FM aren't in it?

Blue Jam

Yeah, I was hoping to see Grindah and co laying down some sick rhymes there, what a waste.

paruses

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 12, 2018, 04:36:59 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to see Grindah and co laying down some sick rhymes there, what a waste.

Not seen this yet due to being at work - but as a big fan of PJDN it would have been great to have a Band Aid 20 Dizzee Rascal style interlude from the K-crew. Wasted opportunity.

Blue Jam

"HAVE YOU BEEN RUDE TO MY MUM?"

Best one of the series so far!

Blue Jam

Utter Shit

This show just gets better and better. The conversation between Kurtan and Mandy was incredible, and Mandy's face as she walked off...fucking hell. So funny.

Blue Jam

Oh god yes, that little evil grin to herself as she walked out. Mandy is genuinely terrifying, I swear I jumped at her sudden appearance in this week's episode. Some great lines from last week's too- "I stole all their shoes and that", "No, don't worry, oi've got range", "See that? Pure maaaarrrrtial aaarrrrts"...

I liked that little smirk from the vicar after Kurtan got angry with him in TK Maxx for making him "miss out on the bargains I deserve". Great seeing him lose his rag at Len too. Len's another great character, a lonely and bored busybody just looking to create drama, every village has one.

I laughed when Kerry, Kurtan and the vicar stumbled into the minor injuries unit and the nurse went "Oh dear, has one of you been in the wars?" or something and Kerry piped up with a completely unnecessary "Me!".

Kayleigh definitely has a type doesn't she? As for Kurtan's previous girlfriend: "She was in the middle of her SATS and she had her cycling proficiency coming up..." This one definitely needs a rewatch or two...

Blue Jam

Big Mandy deleted scene!

https://twitter.com/bbcthree/status/973699009113214977

A DVD release must be imminent, surely?

Synopses for the last two episodes:

QuoteSeries 2, Episode 5 - Steam Fair

It's the most important day of the year for Kerry: the annual steam fair. And as a bonus, this year it falls on her birthday and Kurtan has organised her a surprise present.

However, the present involves some walking and so the cousins embark on a cross-country trek. This affords them the time to share some local village myths with the crew, such as the legend of the "Fox Twins."

This one sounds not unlike Oven Space- half an hour of dialogue with the cousins talking bullshit local legends could be great. Maybe like those bits in Detectorists where Lance and Andy are sat under their oak tree, but even more futile, and with more childish arguments and creative swearing.

(Can an episode still be a bottle episode if it's set entirely within a long and narrow stretch of open countryside?)

QuoteSeries 2, Episode 6- Family Loyalties

Kerry is thrilled when her dad asks her to help him store some wares in a lock-up garage. Meanwhile, a job at the local bowls club gives Kurtan a new sense of purpose, but when Kerry entangles him in her new job, things start to unravel.

Awwww, poor Kerry... but yaaaaaaay, more Martin!

Jockice

First comedy for years I'm watching every episode twice a week, once on i-player and once on BBC1. It's great,

Bobtoo

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 13, 2018, 12:32:26 PM
I liked that little smirk from the vicar after Kurtan got angry with him in TK Maxx for making him "miss out on the bargains I deserve".

I like to think it was an "if only you knew" smirk after Kurtan accused him of being the devil.

jobotic

I asked about TK Maxx before Kerry done her leg.

Or words to that affect. Brilliant.

Alright Levi? Alright Fries? Alright Big Job?

Mobius

Does anyone know if it's possible to watch this outside of iPlayer? I've been able to find previous episodes around, but not this one :( I live outside of England and even a VPN can't trick the BBC...

Utter Shit

The writers have such a fantastic way with slightly dated turns of phrase - when the nurse asks what's wrong and she says her leg has been "smashed to smithereens", fucking hell.

paruses

Quote from: Mobius on March 16, 2018, 12:44:46 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch this outside of iPlayer? I've been able to find previous episodes around, but not this one :( I live outside of England and even a VPN can't trick the BBC...

Really? Which country? I can watch from Ireland (as of a week ago) through a particular browser with built in VPN. Happy to share the name on PM if you want.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 16, 2018, 09:41:38 AM
The writers have such a fantastic way with slightly dated turns of phrase - when the nurse asks what's wrong and she says her leg has been "smashed to smithereens", fucking hell.

Ditto for Kerry and Kurtan describing people as "livid". I think that's a well-observed young people thing (gah, I feel so old typing this)- that thing where groups of young people adopt one or two archaic words or phrases among the other slang they use. When I lived in Deptford I would hear "Oh my days!" a lot and someone explained that it was a phrase elderly Jamaican women were fond of and so people picked up from their Jamaican nans. One example I can remember from my school was "rum", as in "a bit of a rum do", but used incorrectly to describe someone who was funny or witty: "My little cousin is so cheeky, bless her- she's rum"; "I like him, he's dead rum" etc. tbh I always found that one really fucking annoying- someone must have picked it up and not quite understood what it meant before they started using it and it somehow caught on.