Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dolores O'Riordan from The Cranberries dead

Started by Vodka Margarine, January 15, 2018, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

im barry bethel

I always mishear it as Tarby Tarby Tarbyeyey as her homage to Brucie's golf partner

Twed

I know Dreams was always considered the poppy poorer cousin of real dream pop, but I think it's absolutely beautiful. She must have been so young when she recorded that. Sad

Dr Rock

46? Mental issues? It's suicide isn't it?

Not making light, poor woman.

Beagle 2

One of those where it's a desperately sad situation but about a million shitty edge-lord puns enter your head immediately. Suck it up people.

Vodka Margarine

I always had a soft spot for Linger - one of those evergreen songs of gentle lilting beauty that no amount of radio hammering or use on advertising can tarnish.

CaledonianGonzo

falafel

Dr Syntax Head

Must quickly update Facebook and pretend I was a fan all along.

Sad news though. As sad as anybody I didn't know or appreciate their art dying I guess.

falafel

^no less performative than anyone else in this thread but I'm sure that was part of the point.

Uncle TechTip

I hated Linger, a horrible earworm of a song, I had to turn the radio off.

Zombie is a smash of the ages though and I credit it with single-handedly starting the peace process in NI.

Thanks, Dolores.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 15, 2018, 05:50:03 PM
edge-lord

Is that when people are deliberately controversial and provocative?

I once saw O'Riordan in South Anne Street in Dublin around 2001. She was standing on the path beside a big silver Mercedes looking at her phone and I was looking out the window of the first floor of a restaurant making dough for pizzas in the afternoon. She seemed to be posing, the way she was standing seemed a bit odd. Although to be completely fair pop stars often look like they're posing when they're not, something to do with the clothes possibly.

Was never a fan of her music and "Zombie" being so ubiquitous was a mild form of torture in the 1990s, with her cod yodelling. Fuck me it was everywhere, on adverts, in shops and on telly and radio. Inescapable unless you were deaf. Never understood the appeal of that. Still, 46 is no age.

Dreams is brilliant. It features in N. Irish sitcom Derry Girls (on 4OD, folks).

darby o chill

A disgusting woman by all accounts. Hated by almost everyone who had the misfortune of meeting her.
The Cranberries band & crew dubbed her Dolor-arse during their peak touring years.
I made all that up. R.I.P.

holyzombiejesus

QuoteA statement from her publicist said: "The lead singer with the Irish band The Cranberries was in London for a short recording session.

"No further details are available at this time."

Had he forgotten her name?

BlodwynPig

I thought she was recently on TV plugging some acoustic revamp they were doing.

BlodwynPig

This will ease the pain, thanks James.

@JKCorden
I once met Delores O'Riordan when I was 15. She was kind and lovely, I got her autograph on my train ticket and it made my day. She had the most amazing voice and presence. So sorry to hear that she's passed away today x

Oops! Wrong Planet

What sort of man puts a little kiss at the end of something like that?

Dr Syntax Head

The sort of man who makes someone else's death all about him. What a prick.

ziggy starbucks

this death really makes me think about me. I nearly bought that cranberries album back in the day from Andy's Records.

life is a circle

ollyboro

It would be nice to think that as Dolores drifted gently into the eternal ether, she was comforted by the warm memory of her meeting with JK Corden.

Dr Syntax Head

I'd like to know where the train ticket was for. Maybe our hero Corden could arrange a memorial at the railway station in tribute to zombie lady.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on January 15, 2018, 08:59:28 PM
I'd like to know where the train ticket was for. Maybe our hero Corden could arrange a memorial at the railway station in tribute to zombie lady.

A one-way ticket to fame, baaaaaaby!

@JKCorden
I once met Delores O'Riordan when I was 15. She was kind and lovely, I got her autograph on my train ticket and it made my day. She had the most amazing voice and presence. So sorry to hear that she's passed away today x

Sounds just like one of those Limmy "met her at a charity do" things.

Johnny Textface

She was incredibly well off apparently. Not sure how. Anyway RIP. Wasn't a fan but that's no age.

BlodwynPig

Quote@JKCorden
I once met Delores O'Riordan when I was 15. She was kind and lovely, I got her autograph on my train ticket and the train guard said my ticket was invalid. I was cunted off the train and spent a cold night sleeping rough in Staines. Bitch fucked me over x

thraxx

The Cranberries were fucking terrible, had a shit name, and I had to listen to that appalling Salvation song being played from every speaker in the country every 20 minutes in 1996.  But it is sad that she died.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 15, 2018, 09:14:41 PM
She was incredibly well off apparently. Not sure how.

They sold a fucking shit tonne of records, particularly in the States.  The surprise would be if she wasn't minted.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Johnny Textface on January 15, 2018, 09:14:41 PM
She was incredibly well off apparently. Not sure how.

Fucking Zombie! Every fucking day for years.