Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,457
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dolores O'Riordan from The Cranberries dead

Started by Vodka Margarine, January 15, 2018, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: thraxx on January 15, 2018, 09:21:14 PM
shit name

Originally called The Cranberry Saw Us *

- - - - - - - - -
* (Cran-berry Sauce . . .Cran-berry Sauce . . . Cran-berry Sauce)

Head Gardener

the Anything cassette tape has never even come up for sale before, this one sold for over £400

https://www.discogs.com/Cranberry-Saw-Us-Nothing-Left-At-All/release/4841550

falafel

Wow, that top ten is quite the list of awful songs that also in hindsight are among the most formative music of my youth. In defence, I was 10.

Norton Canes

I suppose the career trajectory of The Cranberries was easy to mis-conceptualise (yeah, that's a word) based on their two biggest hits. 'Linger', sweet but a bit twee, they're a lilty little Irish indie band it's OK to like if you're a student. 'Zombie', oh shit, some kind of horrendous stadium-indie bombast, what the fuck have they become, awful. The Cranberries in two takes.

Captain Z

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 16, 2018, 12:34:07 PM
To me "Zombie" is like a song specifically formulated to torture me. It completely baffles me that it gained any popularity at all.

662 million views on youtube.

Listening to it again, I don't hate it quite as much as I did back in the day. Its too long though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on January 16, 2018, 03:57:49 PM
662 million views on youtube.

Listening to it again, I don't hate it quite as much as I did back in the day. Its too long though.

My loathing is undimmed. It's so uniquely obnoxious. Linger is a better song although the lyrics are unbelievably repetitive.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on January 16, 2018, 01:18:06 PM
I don't think the NME ever really liked them. I remember one album review was headlined "Hatchet the 'berries" (clever wording, cheers) which pretty much summed up their attitude.  And mine.

Dad's music wasn't it?, an albums band to listen to in the car

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 16, 2018, 01:19:09 PM
As I recall the music press were dismissive or hostile towards The Cranberries very soon after they had any success.

There was a piece in Melody Maker in the mid-90s which was just a personal attack on Dolores and everything she did and apparently stood for. Even I - as someone who holds no brief for The Cranberries - thought it was really mean and nasty. Well it turns out the hack who wrote it had championed them in their early days but when they didn't turn out to be innocent little leprechauns turned on them. He's on Facebook today apologising. Bit late but there we go.

darby o chill

Quote from: Jockice on January 16, 2018, 06:49:37 PM
There was a piece in Melody Maker in the mid-90s which was just a personal attack on Dolores and everything she did and apparently stood for. Even I - as someone who holds no brief for The Cranberries - thought it was really mean and nasty.

fuck. you weren't lying. that's harsh.

https://archivedmusicpress.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/everett-true-interviews-the-cranberries-26th-october-1991/

Dr Rock

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, me too. Everett True really is a cunt, isn't he?

darby o chill

QuoteI have often felt that the extreme reaction the article in Melody Maker received from Dolores (it was the band's first major UK press) was an indication of something far more wrong, far deeper inside, but even so...

not really an apology at all.

Jockice

non capisco

He apologises for it in the comments section of the linked blog in 2009 a bit more convincingly, pointing out that Simon Price wasn't happy with it at the time and thought the Irish stuff was racist. (Co-author Taylor Parkes, also in 2009, remains unrepentant, the dark curmudgeon!)

I seem to remember either NME or MM really going against them when they went out on tour in the US supporting then music press darlings Suede and every night the crowds were more responsive to The Cranberries. I was never a fan but I'm surprised by the amount of people I know on Facebook coming out as Cranberries fans since she died. Linger is a pretty tune and is evocative of being all loved up, right enough.

I think I'm going to be reading that Archived Music Press blog all night now, by the way.

jobotic

They were terrible for sure and Zombie is just hideous, but obviously she seemed a decent sort and has three kids so it's very sad.

At the time my musical tastes were much more in line with Everett True's than with Cranberries fans', but even as an impressionable young man I could tell he was a dick. Even if he did know Calvin Johnson personally.

jobotic

Aw how come? I really like Beat Happening, The Halo Benders and (some) Dub Narcotic. But I don't read much music stuff these days.

daf

PaulTMA

90s Melody Maker journo is a complete dick shocker.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Good band. Great melodies and Dolores had a unique and syrupy voice. Whoever did the string arrangement on 'Linger' deserves a severe pat on the back.

I was listening far more to Scheer at that time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueS3qfcJhtI

marquis_de_sad

The news of her death has been big in China, mainly because Faye Wong was a big fan and covered Dreams in Chungking Express. Her best album (Restless) is very influenced by The Cranberries (along with the Cocteau Twins).

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Cranberries lyrics were no worse than MSP lyrics.

Yeah, I went there. Minds blown.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

FWIW it's worth, Everett True didn't like Suede either. Even back then I just thought "and why should I fucking care what you think?"

In their very early days the Cranberries were on the edges of "shoegazing" and did gigs with Moose. So the whole MM thing is very much a case of music press getting sour that someone got on with their lives and made money in America instead of trying to please overgrown fanzine writers.

For a long time I've thought Slowdive could have been just as big, selling millions around the world, but instead they made the mistake of tying themselves to Alan fucking McGee who wouldn't do anything with their potential. Ride also could have been big (as they were expected to be) but pissed it away themselves with that limp 3rd album.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Please remember Everett True spent most of the 90s in a delusional state convinced he was a music industry heavy-hitter, because he'd met Kurt Cobain about 6 months before he got famous. He's quite pitiable really.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on January 17, 2018, 06:20:00 AM
FWIW it's worth, Everett True didn't like Suede either.

Quite right too.
Anderson's voice sounds like kittens being drowned in a sack.

jobotic

Yeah i'm with him on that. He had good taste but his endless name-dropping and pseudo-intellectual bollocks were funny. They always seemed a bit desperate, like you could tell his rock star mates didn't really like him. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the riot Grrl movement couldn't have done it without him.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 17, 2018, 12:15:08 AM
90s Melody Maker journo is a complete dick shocker.

I thought you were calling the guy a "dick shocker", which I'd never heard of. A "dick shocker", what the hell could that mean?