Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yota - Knight in Shining Armour

Started by BlodwynPig, January 15, 2018, 11:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Just want to draw your attention to this new album by Swedish artist Yota. I'm a sucker for four letter bands beginning with Y or K, so I downloaded this and by God its fantastic. A mix of dream pop, nu-house and scandi-house. Think Little Dragon with added melancholy.

Some may say its nothing new, and sure, if you listen to artists like Little Dragon or Annie, you'll hear distinct similarities. It starts quite blandly actually, the second track is sub-standard modern pop. Things pick up with the track Diamonds that sounds like it could soundtrack Black Mirror's San Junipero, it has also some probably unintended callbacks to late 90s ambient trance vocals. \

Tracks 5-8 are top quality, starting with the Keep Shelley in Athens-a-like Burning Heart, which is a perfect lament for lost or unattainable love. Escape ramps up the cinematic sadness with a really beautiful vocal part. Loveline is a modern take on Sade, somewhere between Jessie Ware and Grimes. Break the Spell has elements of Jessie Ware, a mid-tempo blissed out ballad. Just some lovely melodies there. Nothing exceptional in terms of novelty, but thoroughly satisfying and an emotion tickler. The rest of the album is reasonable, more radio-friendly but with a similar production and sound.

She previously did vocals for a variety of house artists like DJ Yellow and Zoo Brazil, but its worth supporting her as this is her first solo release and judging by her facebook page, really appreciates any feedback.