Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls

Started by magval, January 16, 2018, 10:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: Seagullsim on January 25, 2018, 11:16:26 PM
I'm still struggling with the fact that these are meant to be high-school girls, yet almost all of them look to be pushing 30 at least....

Maybe it's an intentional Blue Remembered Hills deal.

George White

Quote from: Cerys on January 26, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Maybe it's an intentional Blue Remembered Hills deal.
Or Please, Sir.
But I went to school in Ireland with some people who genuinely looked older. My mum found it hard to tell between the often quite young looking teachers and rather old looking students.
There was a fifteen year old who looked like Leslie Schofield as Reggie Perrin's son in law, tache and all.

Cerys

Have I mentioned that as a result of watching the latest episode I found myself earwormed by Whigfield?  Because I was earwormed by Whigfield.  Nobody should be earwormed by Whigfield.

Whigfield.  Earwormed.  Fucksakes.

Jockice

It grew on me. I really enjoyed the last two episodes. So now you know.

magval

I threw an empty bottle at the TV when the oul bastard put his hands on Tiernan's shoulder, seemingly in slow motion, while the Cranberries song wailed away over the subtle as fuck all cuts between the adults and the kids. Aye right like.

As unearned as the stabs in Pathos in the Brent movie. I really soured on this series after a few episodes. It ended up just being a loud magpie, stealing far too recognizable twigs from not far enough away to make a shite nest in a tree in the heart of Nostalgia Town.

I sort of hate being negative online too, so this is a bit of an apology. I felt quite let down by this by the end is all.

Still, we've got Young Offenders which is properly good.

Jockice

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 08:51:23 AM
I threw an empty bottle at the TV when the oul bastard put his hands on Tiernan's shoulder, seemingly in slow motion, while the Cranberries song wailed away over the subtle as fuck all cuts between the adults and the kids. Aye right like.

As unearned as the stabs in Pathos in the Brent movie. I really soured on this series after a few episodes. It ended up just being a loud magpie, stealing far too recognizable twigs from not far enough away to make a shite nest in a tree in the heart of Nostalgia Town.

I sort of hate being negative online too, so this is a bit of an apology. I felt quite let down by this by the end is all.

Admittedly it was a bit of a corny ending, but in this case I think it sort of worked. And this is speaking as someone who isn't a big fan of pathos in comedy. I thought the end of The Office was crap (haven't seen the Brent film) and have never watched a single second of The Royle Family since being disgusted beyond belief by the whole 'boo hoo, granny's dead' episode. It wasn't exactly the end of Blackadder 4, but I dunno, it wasn't terrible either.

Never seen Young Offenders. I may check it out.

magval

Quote from: Jockice on February 14, 2018, 10:00:27 AM
the whole 'boo hoo, granny's dead' episode.

Thanks for a hearty, painful laugh.

Jockice

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 10:10:58 AM
Thanks for a hearty, painful laugh.

Anytime mate. Anytime.

Brundle-Fly

I'm trying to think of another Irish family sit-com that came out roughly the same time as London Irish and was shown on UK terrestrial tv. Any leads?

magval

Brundle-Fly

No, not Father Figure.

It starred this actor whose name escapes me.

Jockice

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 08:51:23 AM

But yes, the all dancing together bit was ripped off from the boys on the trampoline at the end of series one of The Inbetweeners.

Utter Shit

I'm sure this isn't what you're on about magval - I'm not sure if it was ever shown on UK TV for one thing - but it deserves a mention anyway because it was great and unjustly ignored by just about everyone: The Walshes. Traditional sitcom from Graham Linehan and Diet of Worms that was cancelled after only three episodes. Beautifully silly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walshes

EDIT: Turns out it was shown on BBC4, and was out roughly around the time of the (also very enjoyable and unjustly ignored) London Irish. So maybe this is what you're on about? I have the three episodes if anyone wants them.

Utter Shit

On Derry Girls, I've only seen the first two episodes far but started again so I could watch it with my wife last night - the writing is decent so far, but the performances are fucking outstanding, particularly Saoirse Monica-Jackson (Erin) and Sarah Coughlan (Clare). There's a fantastic manic energy to it as well. Really enjoying it so far.

Did anyone else think the grandfather was Peter Mullan at first? I thought that was an unbelievable capture for a small Channel 4 sitcom, but it's some other bloke...hell of a lookalike anyway.

Jockice

Quote from: George White on January 26, 2018, 11:48:04 PM
Or Please, Sir.
But I went to school in Ireland with some people who genuinely looked older. My mum found it hard to tell between the often quite young looking teachers and rather old looking students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-m_BPYJG6M

magval

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 14, 2018, 03:27:08 PM
No, not Father Figure.

It starred this actor whose name escapes me.

Where did you get this image? It has led me to a complete dead end after a brief GIS.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 06:08:35 PM
Where did you get this image? It has led me to a complete dead end after a brief GIS.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bozeden_Jeems

The character was cut from the film so the actor won't appear on the Rogue One credits.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2018, 03:50:48 PM
On Derry Girls, I've only seen the first two episodes far but started again so I could watch it with my wife last night - the writing is decent so far, but the performances are fucking outstanding, particularly Saoirse Monica-Jackson (Erin) and Sarah Coughlan (Clare). There's a fantastic manic energy to it as well. Really enjoying it so far.

I'm a big fan of Louise Harland as Orla. She's always worth watching whenever she's on the screen, even when she's in the background.

magval

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 14, 2018, 06:16:07 PM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bozeden_Jeems

The character was cut from the film so the actor won't appear on the Rogue One credits.

I guess what I'm asking is how did you come to be familiar with this character if he was cut from the film to the extent that the actor's name isn't listed anywhere, AND enough to spot him in other things?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 07:09:27 PM
I guess what I'm asking is how did you come to be familiar with this character if he was cut from the film to the extent that the actor's name isn't listed anywhere, AND enough to spot him in other things?

Sorry, I didn't want to get into boring detail as I was hoping the hivemind here would immediately identify this actor. I met him a couple of years ago and he said he had a lead role in an Irish sitcom but I've forgotten which one.  I spotted his picture in the Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide book but he doesn't appear in the final movie. Loads of stuff got cut and reshoots took place literally a few months before the release.

magval

Any other details? Have become a wee bit obsessed with finding out what it is now.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 08:35:47 PM
Any other details? Have become a wee bit obsessed with finding out what it is now.

That's all I've got, soz.

George White

The Walshes?
Moone Boy?

Ja'moke

This was really good. Rare these days to get a comedy this side of the Atlantic to come along so self-assured in its first series. You felt immediately invested in the characters and the world they inhabit. Very well plotted for the most part, and even the weaker material is often lifted due to excellent performances of the whole cast - Orlaith and Sister Michael usually the show stealers.

Yeah, it owes debts to many other comedies - big influences from Father Ted, Inbetweeners, and even felt very Freaks and Geeks in places - but I choose to see that as homage rather than plagiarism. I felt it had enough of its own voice to counter any similarities.

The only real weak point was how they treated James. As someone else said, he's basically a cruelty avatar and you can only get so much mileage out of that. The otherwise superb Parks and Rec also did this with Jerry. It's a shame. But a minor quibble to what overall was a really fantastic little series.

Z

A few american friends I have have mentioned this to me without prompting; find it utterly baffling considering Father Ted has, in my experience, fallen as flat as it possibly could any time someone that side of the Atlantic has watched it. A lot of the stronger moments here are very Ted, like.

Utter Shit

Just finished this last night, thought it was great. I understand the criticisms of the ending, but thought it worked well in highlighting that the girls are just trying to live a normal life against the backdrop of the troubles...maybe could have done without the hand on the shoulder, but the scene as a whole worked well IMO.

Can't really fault any of the main performances, except for the English guy who wasn't great. The four girls were superb, with Orla growing on me massively as the show went on - I'm always a fan of those characters who are seen as thick, but are gradually shown to just sort of exist without trying to be seen as intelligent, or cool, or nice.

easytarget

Massive bump because it just(?) came out on Netflix.
This was fucking brilliant. Even the ending. You miserable bastards.

studpuppet

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 14, 2018, 07:28:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't want to get into boring detail as I was hoping the hivemind here would immediately identify this actor. I met him a couple of years ago and he said he had a lead role in an Irish sitcom but I've forgotten which one.  I spotted his picture in the Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide book but he doesn't appear in the final movie. Loads of stuff got cut and reshoots took place literally a few months before the release.

Sorry - nearly a year late, but he was in Father Ted (and Moone Boy):

"Eoin McLove, played by Patrick McDonnell, sickly-sweet television presenter and pop singer (hits include "My Lovely Mayo Mammy"). His only popularity is amongst middle-aged women, and he is completely dependent on others to perform even the simplest tasks for him, such as opening doors. He visits the Parochial House when Mrs Doyle, implausibly, wins a poetry competition. Bizarrely, at one point he tries to justify his obtuse behaviour by saying, quite simply: "I've no willy". Based on Irish singer Daniel O'Donnell."