Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls

Started by magval, January 16, 2018, 10:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

I don't think it is McDonnell. He had grey hair in Moone Boy too.

Mobbd

I'm watching this for the first time and have just come to the end of series 1.

It's just about okay, but highly overrated. It's nothing, as people seem fond of saying, like Father Ted and little like The Inbetweeners save for being set in a school and with a headteacher character that is essentially a rip-off of the Greg Davies' Mr Gilbert. In fact, comparisons-wise, it comes perilously close to The Grimleys.

It relies too heavily on nostalgia and the script quality dips quite shockingly after the first two episodes, perhaps because they think they've won us over and they're already resting on laurels. The episode (5?) with the IRA stowaway in the boot felt particularly shoddy and mean-spirited: they forgot to put any jokes in and the dialogue was stuck on "bicker".

BAH.

Nice to see Tommy Tiernan, though I'm not sure why his character would fucking bother with the rest of 'em, especially his toxic fuck of a father-in-law. It's a classic "Richard from Keeping up Appearances"-style why does he stick around?" situation that isn't really answered on screen.

I don't really want to watch the second series but it looks like Kevin McAleer is in it? I like his stand-up quite a bit.

Mobbd

Quote from: magval on February 14, 2018, 08:51:23 AM
I threw an empty bottle at the TV when the oul bastard put his hands on Tiernan's shoulder, seemingly in slow motion, while the Cranberries song wailed away over the subtle as fuck all cuts between the adults and the kids. Aye right like.

As unearned as the stabs in Pathos in the Brent movie. I really soured on this series after a few episodes. It ended up just being a loud magpie, stealing far too recognizable twigs from not far enough away to make a shite nest in a tree in the heart of Nostalgia Town.

I sort of hate being negative online too, so this is a bit of an apology. I felt quite let down by this by the end is all.

YES. All of this. Perfect.

The hand on the shoulder was puke. It was also a clear-as-day explanation as to why they made the father-in-law so horrible (without being an in-world explanation) but it ended up being corny as fuck and a tacit endorsement of vile behavior as a valid act of love when it ain't.

And everything you said there about too-close magpie nests was sublime.

*faints*

Off to be positive about something now. Parp!

studpuppet

Quote from: Mobbd on April 26, 2020, 11:29:20 AM
Nice to see Tommy Tiernan, though I'm not sure why his character would fucking bother with the rest of 'em, especially his toxic fuck of a father-in-law. It's a classic "Richard from Keeping up Appearances"-style why does he stick around?" situation that isn't really answered on screen.

Divorce was only made properly legal in the North in 1978, and in 1996 in the South, so I'd imagine the reasoning is that, like the warring couple in Father Ted, pressure from society meant that you stuck together regardless. I'd imagine that a mixed-religion marriage would be under even greater pressure to 'succeed'.

magval

He's functional, creatively speaking. Lisa McGee's writing is not blessed with such depth.