Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stuart Maconie

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 16, 2018, 10:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 17, 2018, 12:31:50 PM
Naked City.  They would sit in a tree for their bit.  I find the careers of both utterly baffling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxITH3efVA

27.40 onwards. If I ever tried to be funny and got that (total lack of) reaction, I genuinely don't think I'd ever have left the house again.

nedthemumbler

Very much in the same genre as Bryson, as Serge said, very readable, gently amusing, and nice to dip into for twenty minutes or so, never mind if it may be your tenth time of reading.  I can see why people might not be keen though, his breezy style and rate of output combined with an often surface level of research makes you wonder how much he is churning it out on autopilot.

I.e. Writing his books takes not much longer per sentence than one from his radio shows.  I don't think I have ever come across a reference in his books that I wasn't already familiar with, nor anybody else vaguely interested in the social and cultural history of the UK.

Where Did It All Go Right rubbed me up the wrong way though, pure self indulgence.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jockice on January 31, 2018, 12:38:52 PM

27.40 onwards. If I ever tried to be funny and got that (total lack of) reaction, I genuinely don't think I'd ever have left the house again.
I made it about 2.5 seconds into that clip before turning it off. As soon as I recognised who they were, basically.

Maconie being something that gets you through 20 minutes on the bog might be about right, but why pay 10 quid for it when the web is free? Books need to aim a bit higher.

Jockice

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 10, 2018, 01:59:17 PM
I made it about 2.5 seconds into that clip before turning it off. As soon as I recognised who they were, basically.

i can't stop watching it. It's absolutely horrifying. I can just imagine the audience being told to at least clap and cheer at the beginning and the end. On fear of death.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Jockice on February 11, 2018, 10:37:44 AM
i can't stop watching it. It's absolutely horrifying. I can just imagine the audience being told to at least clap and cheer at the beginning and the end. On fear of death.

The bit with the photos (David Quantick!) and graphics is a pre-record spliced into their 'live' intro and 'outro' though, isn't it? And I guess any audience would have been distracted by stuff going on at studio floor level...

I'm not saying it was funny though.

Chriddof

What the fuck is the deal with all the graphics flying around and wacky sound effects? I somehow managed to get to 29:51 and it was around that point that someone in the edit suite decided to dub on the Ren & Stimpy fart noise to really rub in the unfunniness, and that was it for me. Funny thing is that I used to listen to their "Hit Parade" show on Radio 1 a few years later (and their late-night ITV movie review show as well), and I remember that being loads better - aided a fair bit by not having a studio audience in the first place, I guess.

I did also make sure to see the opening continuity, and it was so 90s-Channel-4 I felt a small pang of sadness at how much better British TV was back then, even at that relatively late stage of the game. And I was pleased to see that the programme advertised (Viva Cabaret) had Trevor & Simon doing their grieving music hall entertainer characters - I hope they went down better than Collins & Maconie did.

gilbertharding

"He's on the radio so much they should call him Stuart fucking Marconi."

Mrs G Harding, 2005

kidsick5000

Quote from: Jockice on January 31, 2018, 12:38:52 PM

What a strong joke to start with.
Must have got a huge laugh at dress rehearsal to have stayed at the top of the segment

Jockice

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 16, 2018, 04:25:11 PM
What a strong joke to start with.
Must have got a huge laugh at dress rehearsal to have stayed at the top of the segment

I'm not sure what I've watched and cringed at more often in the last couple of weeks - that or the Sting lute clip someone posted in Oscillations. Both are absolutely excruciating but I keep returning to them in disbelief. Like someone trying to ignore a car crash outside their house, you can try closing the curtains but it's not going to go away.

On the positive note, Honky, featured just before them, were a decent group. Doncaster's biggest (and indeed only) contribution to hip-hop. Their manager was a bit of a tosser though.