Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:02:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Byrne UK tour

Started by homesickalien, January 17, 2018, 06:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesickalien

JUN14
New Theatre Oxford Oxford, UK

JUN15
Main Auditorium, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall Glasgow, UK

JUN17
Symphony Hall Birmingham, UK

JUN18
O2 Apollo Manchester Manchester, UK

JUN19
Eventim Apollo London, UK

I saw him in Liverpool in 2009 and really enjoyed it.  Anyone planning on going to one of these?

non capisco

I'm going to the London one, managed to bag a standing ticket from a venue pre-sale this morning. I'm salivating at the prospect of this 'most ambitious stage setup since Stop Making Sense' he's been teasing in interviews.

DrGreggles

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: non capisco on January 17, 2018, 07:01:09 PM
I'm going to the London one, managed to bag a standing ticket from a venue pre-sale this morning. I'm salivating at the prospect of this 'most ambitious stage setup since Stop Making Sense' he's been teasing in interviews.

Shame he just means the stage itself will be held up by nothing more than an intricate work of toothpicks and cotton buds, rather than the antique timber used for Stop Making Sense.  Otherwise it's just him in jeans and a pale beige t-shirt with a cardboard box attached to a stick with a few rubber bands as strings.

alan nagsworth

Bagged a couple of standing tickets this morning. MAD EXCITED FOR THIS

Blinder Data

Managed to get a few tickets. Seated but they seemed to disappearing fast!

Always nice to have a far-off gig to look forward to.

Jockice

I saw the last 20 minutes of one of his shows in 2009. I'd been to a wedding so turned up wearing a suit. But not an outsized one. Wouldn't mind seeing a full set. He's my homeboy you know. From the same town.

jobotic

Tickets available from £88.

I love you Dave but nope.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on January 19, 2018, 12:16:48 PM
Tickets available from £88.

I love you Dave but nope.

What? Mine were £50, standing at the Apollo.

jobotic

Says £88 on whatever site I looked on. Has it sold out?

Fifty quid a bit much for me anyway.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on January 19, 2018, 12:41:23 PM
Says £88 on whatever site I looked on. Has it sold out?

Fifty quid a bit much for me anyway.

TicketMaster is saying £89 on the ReSale Marketplace section so that'll be it I reckon, seems like it's sold out. I did jump on it at bang on 10am though.

PaulTMA

At 10am on the Ticketmaster site, the front three rows of the Glasgow Royal Concert hall were billed as 'Platinum Tickets' at £85 each.  Never saw these advertised.  As I pissed about clicking on them to see the price, the decent priced ones briefly available a few rows back then sold out.  Then the Platinum ones did too.  Luckily someone else managed to get me a really good seat anyway, but it was still a shite moment of realising this 'platinum' pish is likely to be a recurring thing.  I've had front row seats there in past without seeing anything of the such on offer.

Blinder Data

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 19, 2018, 01:38:29 PM
At 10am on the Ticketmaster site, the front three rows of the Glasgow Royal Concert hall were billed as 'Platinum Tickets' at £85 each.  Never saw these advertised.  As I pissed about clicking on them to see the price, the decent priced ones briefly available a few rows back then sold out.  Then the Platinum ones did too.  Luckily someone else managed to get me a really good seat anyway, but it was still a shite moment of realising this 'platinum' pish is likely to be a recurring thing.  I've had front row seats there in past without seeing anything of the such on offer.

I didn't even think to look at Ticketmaster. Went straight to GRCH site at around 10, very few seats available ("sold out" in the main part of the auditorium). Got side-on seats for £35ish. It's a racket. Still happy though.

CaledonianGonzo

In my experience it's definitely better to book direct with GRCH than via a secondary site.  Same with the Usher Hall.  That's how I got front row for Joanna Newsom a couple of years back.

Ferris

Got my tickets for Toronto. Lovely stuff, very excited.

Blinder Data

I saw this at Glasgow Royal Concert Halls on Friday. Amazing stuff. Was so good I bought tickets to see him do it again at the Hydro in October.

The staging is masterful stuff. The lighting and movement is not complex by any means but so effective, and the band were tight as fuck.

Great set list too. Burning Down the House and Once in a Lifetime were the obvious stand-outs but even the latest album (which I'd give 6/10) sounded great thanks to the staging.

If you haven't bought a ticket yet, I 100% recommend it - though the prices for the arena dates are steeeeeeep

Sebastian Cobb

Nice one, I was going to buy a ticket and they'd sold out by the time I remembered to. Will bag a hydro ticket RIGHT NOW.

The GFT put on Stop Making Sense last weekend, I was at that.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 17, 2018, 03:00:55 PM
Nice one, I was going to buy a ticket and they'd sold out by the time I remembered to. Will bag a hydro ticket RIGHT NOW.

Do it! For the Hydro I wanted to be standing so I could boogie but couldn't face paying around £100 (and it's seated anyway). But there are cheaper seats higher up and it'll give you a good view of the choreography at least

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 17, 2018, 03:16:32 PM
Do it! For the Hydro I wanted to be standing so I could boogie but couldn't face paying around £100 (and it's seated anyway). But there are cheaper seats higher up and it'll give you a good view of the choreography at least

I'm in 003, cost me £45.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 17, 2018, 03:22:22 PM
I'm in 003, cost me £45.

Ah, I didn't see those seats. You might be on a raised platform at the back? I got front row on the lowest tier, 057 I think

I love booking gigs ages in advance. You completely forget spending the money and when it rolls around it's a nice surprise. And this one will be worth it!

Jockice

non capisco

Gig of two halves for me, Clive. It was great when he was playing Talking Heads tunes but the rest of it was a bit too Lion King The Musical for my liking. Also that song he played that he apparently did with Fatboy Slim, that mercifully must have gone under my radar at the time it came out, was a right load of flannel.

Blinder Data

Quote from: non capisco on June 20, 2018, 11:28:51 AM
Gig of two halves for me, Clive. It was great when he was playing Talking Heads tunes but the rest of it was a bit too Lion King The Musical for my liking. Also that song he played that he apparently did with Fatboy Slim, that mercifully must have gone under my radar at the time it came out, was a right load of flannel.

Delete your account

non capisco

Sorry to be 'that guy' but his dreadful new groovy grandad material still honks even if Mitchell from Modern Family is doing a dance in the background.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 17, 2018, 03:00:55 PM

I was at that screening too. I'd never seen it at the cinema and was slightly blown away. It was so difficult not to applaud between songs.

Weirdly, I think the last time I was at the GFT was to see him doing a Q&A about How Music Works. He wandered off midway to go to the toilet.

Missed him at GRCH but am going to the Hydro.

Shaky

Quote from: homesickalien on January 17, 2018, 06:32:26 PM
JUN14
New Theatre Oxford Oxford, UK

JUN15
Main Auditorium, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall Glasgow, UK

JUN17
Symphony Hall Birmingham, UK

JUN18
O2 Apollo Manchester Manchester, UK

JUN19
Eventim Apollo London, UK

I saw him in Liverpool in 2009 and really enjoyed it.  Anyone planning on going to one of these?

Genuinely thought those were the months & years at first glance. Shame, as I'd love to see Byrne in his June 2014 pomp.

Sebastian Cobb

Caught this at the Hydro (would've much preferred the Concert Hall but wasn't quick enough). It was excellent.

Head Gardener

FM quality recording of tracks from the show available to hear/download : http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=4209

Ferris

TheMonk

Quote from: non capisco on June 20, 2018, 03:57:49 PM
Sorry to be 'that guy' but his dreadful new groovy grandad material still honks even if Mitchell from Modern Family is doing a dance in the background.
I've been wondering who that bloke reminds me of in the footage I've seen. Offputting.
Saw David Byrne a few years back with a tight band but no fancy choreography and it was tops ... apart from the odd subpar new one. Something about the staging of this show looks like a pile of wank, but on the other hands he still sounds great, looks and moves well. Can't be said for a lot of his ilk these days.