Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Started by Shay Chaise, January 17, 2018, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

Pretty big update, new version (didn't they say...oh, forget it), automatic update for those who bought vanilla SFV and a new retail release including character passes 1&2 (but not the imminent third...) just dropped. I just had a good few rounds and climbed up Super Bronze a bit further and my word I hate myself whenever I play this game. Load of single player stuff which lets you go back through the SF annals right to the first one - I don't know how because I don't give a shit about single player mode in fighting games but anyway, if you do, there's supposedly loads more to do.

I wish I could get over how much they screwed my boy Ken right up and made him a totally different type of character without the tools to do the job they're trying to crowbar him into CAPCOM WANKS. I'm destined to never get five percent of what I got from SF4 out of this ugly piece of shit but I'm going to give it another go. Anyone else play SFV?

Shay Chaise

I FUCKING HATE THIS CUNT OF A GAME

FFFFUUUUUUUUJJCCCCCVVVKKKKKMMMKKKKKKKKKKK

I HOPE CAPCOM GO BUST THE FUCKING THIEVING CROOK CUNTS

WHY YOU FUCK MY BOY KEN MASTERS YOU FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT

MAY YOU BE BARREN ALL CAPCOM FUCKS

Swoz_MK

I played SFIV at tournament level and still after all this time V has been out I can't get out of Bronze and have only just settled on a main (which probably explains not getting out of Bronze to be honest).
I'm really not sure what's not clicking for me. Maybe its not having anywhere near as much time to dedicate to it anymore. I like the game a lot and want to be so much better than I am. Seeing friends' replays where they play as if they're top 8 at Evo when you can't even follow up on a Crush Counter properly is disheartening too.
Maybe I should stick to IV.

Swoz_MK

Everything I do is getting beaten by my opponent's normals. I guess I need to adhere to the age old "stop pressing buttons".

Shay Chaise

Great to see you posting here, and feeling similarly. I'm always envious when I see the likes of Andi Hamilton, Gary Dooton, Joe Dillon and Jon Denton on Twitter, posting these fun little clips and clearly loving the game. I just really wish it was SF4, not least because it's so much flashier and more impressive and expressive.

As you say, I feel like my normals are so fucking stubby and most get beaten out by everything. It's weird. In SF4, I felt like there was a place for every normal but here, it's like I have one AA option and one reliable poke and there's no point ever pushing anything else. I feel like I can't apply any meaty pressure because I get CC'd all the time or hit with a rising DP type move. It basically fucks my entire mixup game. Throws also seem shit (coming off kara throw Ken) and I still can't get the timing down. More often than not, attempting a throw is inviting a big chunk of punishment. It's no longer an aggressive tool, at all, so I stop throwing and I'm just backing myself further into paralysis.

I was recommended Rashid as an alternative to Krazy Ken, very mobile, pokey, specials cover a lot of real estate. I'll need a lot more time within him, though. I got frustrated getting beat and just went back to Ken, with some success. He's just a bag of shit, though. The trajectories of his tatsus and fucking everything. That stupid run V-skill. It's basically El Fuerte mixed with a dog shit.

Thing is, I can win with him but it involves never jumping, and never pushing buttons except to punish or throw fireballs. It's just so so boring. No flash. No mixups. No reliable corner pressure tools. Crouching MP into EX tatsu. MP DP AA. No point bothering with anything else.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 17, 2018, 08:22:56 PM
Pretty big update, new version (didn't they say...oh, forget it)

They've stuck to it, to be fair. "Arcade Edition" is basicallt "Season 3" under another name, with the physical release being a thing to let some people catch up if they've not bought SFVanilla yet, although I hear it's just the basic disc with codes for season 1 & 2 passes in it.

I've started playing SFV online again this week because of the AE update, but I think I'm having more fun with Tekken 7 of late, but there are too many "spammy" characters in that (Fuck Eddy Gordo), at least you have to be somewhat good at Street Fighter, unless you pick Abigail or something. Haven't seen many R Mikas after a while, did they nerf her or something?

Shay Chaise

Well, I decided to persist with this. I had some battle lounge stuff with some folks from Cane and Rinse forum and it was by far the most fun I've ever had with the game. I did OK, won some, lost some, but learned a lot about what is filth, what's acceptable and what's quite decent play. I got a bit of momentum and played quite well (for me) for a few rounds of winner stays on. I suppose I'm coming round to what Ken is really like and what is a good punish for various situations. My footsies are actually quite shit, I've realised, because I get fucked by anyone with solid fundamentals and spacing in the neutral game but I'm OK once I build up some corner pressure, which was really the most fun I've ever had with the game.

If anyone fancies setting up a CaB Battle Lounge some time, I'd be well up for that. It's much less stressful than playing Ranked, and a shitload more fun.

Spiteface

Quick question:

The "physical" Arcade Edition release, with basic SFV disc and Season 1 and 2 pass codes included, is £18 in Game. To buy those off PSN would be more like £20. Could I just buy that bundle for the codes and trade my "Vanilla" disc in for a couple of quid later on? I wouldn't be missing out on anything that way, would I?

Shay Chaise

They've been on sale for six quid each. Am I right you own the vanilla? Free update to the AE edition. If you just want the season passes, I'd wait for the next sale.

Spiteface

Yeah, bought the vanilla release early on.

I'll keep an eye out, then. I'm not losing out that much as I mainly use Ryu or Ken (badly), so not having the other characters to use isn't a deal breaker as such, unless I got bored. If I want to muck about with a charge character I might use my Fight Money for Guile.

Swoz_MK

The (enormous) patch took TWELVE HOURS to download on my awful broadband so can't try s3 til tonight after a 3 month hiatus.
I want to try Ed. But seeing as Cammy was, bafflingly, made even better I may go back to her.
I hear the return to training mode after an online match is now pretty much instant which is a very, very welcome touch.

Swoz_MK

Ventured back to SFV for the first time since the day Falke was released last night. I lost to someone playing their first ever Ranked match. If Cody doesn't instantly click with me I'm knocking it on the head.

Replies From View

Thank you all for your kind words about my cousin, Supplies From View.

Swoz_MK

Wow, progress at last. All it took was a scrubby Ryu.

Spiteface

Played SFV for the first time in ages last night and I sucked. It was a frustrating experience and this game has passed me by, because I will never not be Rookie/Bronze.

Spiteface

Haven't touched SFV in a while and now Capcom's pulling shit like ads that you have to enable or you get less Fight Money, I'm done.

Enjoy 3rd Strike more anyway. At least Ryu's gi won't have Capcom Pro Tour ads all over it in that (and he's less shit in 3rd Strike).
Also, Mortal Kombat 11 is on the horizon. MKX pisses all over Street Fighter V in so many ways. Never thought I'd be saying that about MK.

Genuinely hate this game, my biggest ever disappointment.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Spiteface on December 11, 2018, 07:50:43 PM
MKX pisses all over Street Fighter V in so many ways. Never thought I'd be saying that about MK.

Completely agree, and I didn't really play THAT much MKX.
Kage was announced for SFV s4 last night and it's just Evil Ryu with a different name. I think I'm done with it now (until Rose is announced)