Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:54:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard-to-find films and let's find them why don't we?

Started by zomgmouse, January 18, 2018, 05:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Quote from: George White on May 30, 2018, 10:57:59 PM
Freak Orlando (1981)

I've got this as well. I'll dump it up along with the other one I promised to get you.

George White

Kali Yug, la dea della vendetta (1963) and its sequel Il mistero del tempio indiano

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Isnt Anything on May 27, 2018, 01:21:47 AM
thank you for being so kind as to make such an effort. glad you got something out of it. :)
No biggie. I've just remembered there's a forum dedicated to old British movies, so I asked over there too. We'll crack it!

fucking ponderous

Wayne Wang's 1989 film Life Is Cheap... But Toilet Paper Is Expensive, both for its great title and its insane plot synopses and reviews found in various places online. Apparently the film is available as a special feature with certain DVD edition of Wang's The Chinese Box, but again that's certain editions. Who's to say I won't buy it online and end up with the wrong one? Plus I'm not willing to spend money on anything.

Also, not strictly a film, but I've been trying to find the workprint of The Kids in the Hall's Brain Candy for ages.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: fucking ponderous on June 01, 2018, 05:29:20 AM
Wayne Wang's 1989 film Life Is Cheap... But Toilet Paper Is Expensive, both for its great title and its insane plot synopses and reviews found in various places online. Apparently the film is available as a special feature with certain DVD edition of Wang's The Chinese Box, but again that's certain editions. Who's to say I won't buy it online and end up with the wrong one? Plus I'm not willing to spend money on anything.

Also, not strictly a film, but I've been trying to find the workprint of The Kids in the Hall's Brain Candy for ages.
It's currently copying across to my Google Drive, I'll PM you (and anyone else who wants it) the link when it's done.

itsfredtitmus

Anyone know where I can get Wards' Rain of the Children? Doesn't seem to exist outside of New Zealand streaming + DVD loan services and MUBI (which, ofc, isn't streaming on there right now)

zomgmouse

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 03, 2018, 06:50:40 AM
Anyone know where I can get Wards' Rain of the Children? Doesn't seem to exist outside of New Zealand streaming + DVD loan services and MUBI (which, ofc, isn't streaming on there right now)

Unseeded on kg too :/

Junglist

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 03, 2018, 06:50:40 AM

I can get a proper dvd rip if you want it

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Isnt Anything on May 23, 2018, 02:12:38 AM
Help on IDing a film please ( should there be a different thread for this ? ).

British film late 50's, 60's or early 70's, a comedy, in the vein of Ealing or Carry On, has a bunch of people in alcoholic rehab who get sabotaged by having a pub more or less on the doorstep. not necessarily the entire theme of the movie, may be just a part of it.

thanks and sorry for the crap question
Possibly "Time Gentlemen Please"?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045239/

George White

To Catch A King (1984)
SAS - Terminate with Extreme Prejudice
Underground (1970)
Utu (1983)
Came A Hot Friday (1985)
Klynham Summer/The Scarecrow (1983)
Chorus of Disapproval (1989),
Journey into Fear (1975),
Child's Play (1972),
The Sellout (1976), Trenchcoat (1983),
Holiday in Spain  (1960),

Nutcase (1980)
Lily in Love (1984)
VHS Forever - Psychotronic People
Remix, Remake of Ripoff
Scandalous (1984)
The Formula (1980)
Le Silencieux (1973),
Bons Basiers Du Hong Kong (1975)
The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (1998)
Le Silencieux (1973),
Freak Orlando (1981)
Warum die UFOs unseren Salat klauen (1980)
Karel Zeman Carodejuv Ucen (1978)

Si j'avais mille ans (1983)
Blue Christmas (1978)

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: George White on June 10, 2018, 11:32:57 AM
Le Silencieux (1973),
Can't find either of those, sorry.

Quote from: George White on June 10, 2018, 11:32:57 AM
Le Silencieux (1973),
These two, on the other hand, I have on my hard drive right now.

And again, I don't mean to disparage your cineaste nature, but at least one of the movies you're looking for is available to watch, for free, on Youtube. I really feel like you're not trying, George! What gives?

zomgmouse

George White

Anyone have Green Mansions 1959...

What's the film that's free on youtube. Sometimes, you check, and then days later - it appears.

Watched Freak Orlando - mindboggling agitprop nonsense. Thanks, but it was what I feared it might be.
Child's Play (1972) - Similar to Unman, Wittering and Zigo - even less exciting, with a bunch of Logan Pauls. The lads a bit too old, like in Zigo. Couldn't finish it. Felt like "what the heroes of a sex comedy do when there's no girls..."

Found a sizeable preview of To Catch A King - and it does look bland rubbish. https://youtu.be/giZy6yPMM78?t=361 So, that's off my list.
Even Mackay as Hitler looks rubbish.
Ditto Journey into Fear. It looks like one of those films announced in the trades, that never got made, you think - WOW - THAT CAST, but it's flat and dull.

Found Carodejuv Ucen. Rather Nogginesque but disturbing.

Found SAS a San Salvador on OK.RU.
SAS á San Salvador (1982) - Miles O'Keeffe as a French pulp spy/Austrian prince,  intended to start a Bond-esque franchise. Featuring a topical plot about the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero, O'Keeffe resembles the lovechild of Sam Jones and Oliver Tobias. Sybil Danning and Anton Diffring (wearing a "Don't Shoot" t-shirt) pop up.  It feels exactly like Never Say Never Again despite being on about a thirtieth of the budget. And there is no action. Very disappointing, was hoping for another Unmasking the Idol, but no -it proves Eurospy films never really changed. Also featuring in a smaller role, Robert Etcheverry - the Flashing Blade himself.

Sebastian Cobb

Can anyone get their hands on The Ballad of Narayama? The 1983 film rather than the 50's stage play.

Herbert Ashe

Rips of both the Imamura and Kinoshita versions are on ulozto dot net.

Sebastian Cobb

Ooh ta! I found a few torrents that were dead.

George White

Underground (1970)
Utu (1983)
Came A Hot Friday (1985)
Chorus of Disapproval (1989)

Nutcase (1980)
Lily in Love (1984)
Remix, Remake of Ripoff
Scandalous (1984)
The Formula (1980)
Le Silencieux (1973),
Le Silencieux (1973),
Freak Orlando (1981)
Karel Zeman Carodejuv Ucen (1978)

And Innocent Bystanders (1972)

Famous Mortimer

Seriously, sort the list out, you've got two films on there twice.

zomgmouse

George White

Quote from: George White on June 19, 2018, 01:54:56 PM
Underground (1970)
Utu (1983)
Came A Hot Friday (1985)
Chorus of Disapproval (1989)

Nutcase (1980)
Lily in Love (1984)
Remix, Remake of Ripoff
Scandalous (1984)
The Formula (1980)
Le Silencieux (1973),

And Innocent Bystanders (1972)
Saw Target Eagle, which I thought was on this list, awful pedestrian Mexican telespynovela with a staggering cast.

Famous Mortimer

QuoteThe Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (1998)
Rent from Amazon for $2.99.

QuoteThe Formula (1980)
Rent from Youtube for $2.99.

QuoteHoliday in Spain  (1960)
Available on blu-ray.

QuoteTrenchcoat (1983)
Roger Ebert: ""Trenchcoat" is one of the most aggressively boring movies I've seen in a long time. It's boring not only because it's bad -- which it certainly is -- but also because it's dead inside. There is not one spark of life or imagination or fun in all the dreary length of this dismal experience. The people who made it must be either incompetent or cynical. Probably a little of both."

QuoteWarum die UFOs unseren Salat klauen (1980)
Literal English title: "Why Do The UFOs Steal Our Lettuce?" Appears unavailable in English, either subtitled or dubbed.

QuoteRemix, Remake of Ripoff
Is just called "Remix, Remake, Rip-Off" (if it's the doc about the Turkish film industry). It doesn't appear to have been released outside of movie festivals, but I could be wrong.

QuoteVHS Forever - Psychotronic People
Amazon review - "Geeky middle-aged VHS collectors wax nostalgic for a hole-in-the-wall called "Psychotronic Videos," an exclusive purveyor of awful, low-budget underground horror flicks (back in the day when the British government regulated and even banned the sale of such videos). They share many anecdotes, to be sure, but the collectors' enthusiasm is not contagious."

QuoteLily in Love (1984)
Available to rent from Amazon for $2.99.

QuoteSi j'avais mille ans (1983)
Also appears unavailable in English.

QuoteThe Scarecrow (1983)
https://sovietmoviesonline.com/drama/125-chuchelo.html

QuoteCame A Hot Friday (1985)
If you want to use a VPN, then available at https://ondemand.nzfilm.co.nz/#!/browse/film/8/came-a-hot-friday

QuoteUnderground (1970)
Available on DVD.

Now, George, let's discuss this. I had a bored half hour and was able to track down a bunch of these movies, in a list you've been trotting out for months in a thread titled, lest we forget, "Hard-to-find films and let's find them why don't we?" It feels like you're the surrealist copyright police, publishing a weirdly random list of European 80s movies and seeing if anyone offers you them straight up. Were you just not trying to find these?

Junglist

I can get Remix, Remake, Rip-Off, but no English subtitles.

zomgmouse

Having trouble with these two films by John Hayes:

Mama's Dirty Girls (1974)
Sweet Trash (1970)

George White

Quote from: Junglist on July 02, 2018, 09:34:58 PM
I can get Remix, Remake, Rip-Off, but no English subtitles.
That's fine.

In Ireland, Prime Video has none of those titles. Yet they had Target Eagle.

I'd be happy with unsubtitled prints of any films too.

phantom_power

I am pretty sure VHS Forever is on Amazon Prime Video. I watched it a few months ago

mothman

Wings of Fame, a 1990 Europudding starring Colin Firth and Peter O'Toole.

chveik

That's Life (1986), a Blake Edwards film with Julie Andrews and Jack Lemmon. It looks fantastic but I can't get my hands on it.