Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard-to-find films and let's find them why don't we?

Started by zomgmouse, January 18, 2018, 05:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Harry Macqueen's Hinterland is frustratingly difficult to locate...

willbo

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 23, 2018, 10:59:25 PM
Looking for this one bastard of a film I saw on TV back in the early 2000's. Can't remember anything about the title or who was in it, but I remember it was about this town in the midwestern US where they had some kind of bastard spider-monster that roamed late at night, and they sold souvenirs and T-shirts and shit commemorating the monster as if it was just a joke. But the thing was real, and late at night the protagonist encountered it, and killed it, and I think there were babies of the thing, too? I swear I'm not making it up.

Late eighties to late nineties, most likely. Had an aesthetic and direction style like Critters.

that sounds like the plot of several Richard Laymon novels, though he never really got an adaption IIRC outside of indie fan films.

There's a French film I've always wished I could remember the name of. I saw it late night on BBC2 in the late 90s. It was pretty modern then (80s/early 90s I think) and was a fairly low key film about a woman's life, often in her apartment. Her bedroom had green walls and she was hanging out on the bed, possibly with a bf. She was naked in one scene and the camera kind of looked up to her face from her tummy as she talked. She was kind of gender neutral/boyish looking with curly short brown hair. It's not a famous film like Breathless, Amelie, or Betty Blue. I think the name of the film was just her name and it was something like "Geraldine" or "Gertrude".

kaprisky

Maeve is slated for release in May by the BFI. Blu-ray only but at least it will be out there. I wonder if the extras will explain the presence of Gotobed and his contribution to the soundtrack with Simmons. Radio On will also get a blu-ray upgrade and that has a contribution by Bruce Gilbert!

zomgmouse

Quote from: kaprisky on February 03, 2021, 01:50:59 PM
Maeve is slated for release in May by the BFI. Blu-ray only but at least it will be out there. I wonder if the extras will explain the presence of Gotobed and his contribution to the soundtrack with Simmons. Radio On will also get a blu-ray upgrade and that has a contribution by Bruce Gilbert!

Great news!
I've seen Radio On but Maeve has been elusive for years.

zomgmouse

Kristoffer's House (Kristoffers hus) (1979)
A Street to Die (1985)
Evening Liaison (Ren yue huang hun) (1995)
Public Toilet (2002)

Dex Sawash

Rizla

Quote from: Rizla on August 01, 2019, 10:42:45 PM
Anyone remember a BBC (I think) drama from late 90s/early 00s, partly filmed during the Edinburgh Festival, about a Bill Hicks-esque edgy standup comic? There was a scene where he almost rides off Arthur's Seat on a big motorbike, and bits set in Noo Yoik where he was dishing out cartons of cigarettes and cans of bud to the local youth? It was probably shite but I would still like to find it.

Re-reminded of this annoying bastard having just seen the Guardian piece about Festival, the 2005 Annie Griffin flick. Doing my head in that I can't find anything about it online. Maybe it was so shit it's been buried. I can picture the lead actor and everything. Anyone else remember it?

zomgmouse

zomgmouse

Quote from: kaprisky on February 03, 2021, 01:50:59 PM
Maeve is slated for release in May by the BFI.

This is now out! And it's around. Hooray.

Sebastian Cobb

Might start a thread in pc gone mad but have any of you people with access to various trackers played around with this radarr tool? Seems pretty good, it indexes your current collection and can be used to not only get new films but replace the ones you have with better quality versions.

There's Sonarr which is the same thing but for tv and can download new episodes as they become available.

Famous Mortimer

I just tried it out and it's not very user-friendly (I tried the Sonarr for TV thing). After completely failing to get it to recognise I already have torrent software on my PC, or even to get it to download and install a different torrent client, I uninstalled it.

This could be me being an idiot, of course.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2021, 10:35:34 PM
I just tried it out and it's not very user-friendly (I tried the Sonarr for TV thing). After completely failing to get it to recognise I already have torrent software on my PC, or even to get it to download and install a different torrent client, I uninstalled it.

This could be me being an idiot, of course.
Yeah it's a bit of a faff and a bit beyond "install this .exe".

I think it can work with torrent clients in two ways - either by making api requests through the client's web console (you will need to enable this) or by dropping .torrent files into a folder that your torrent client monitors (you will need to specify this).

The first option is preferable and seems to work with transmission and qbittorrent among others. You'll need to enable it then point Radarr to the correct address/port (localhost:8080 in the case of qbittorrent).

I've gone a bit further than that, and have a convoluted dockerised setup with a vpn container that radarr/sonarr/jackett are all bound to. I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't have to know docker for work.

mothman

Obviously this probably isn't how it works but I'm not sure I like the idea of having some software package sitting on my computer happily beaconing out that I have illegal copies of these films and would like better-quality ones...

Junglist

I just use Kodi and the Real Debrid add on. £30 for the year and there hasn't been a single thing I couldn't find. Flawless streaming and you personally don't download or host a single film.

willbo

Trying to remember a Polish film from the 00s I watched on Youtube months ago.

The main character was an 18 ish teen girl who was kind of provocative and flirting with different men. She makes an old man nearly have a heart attack by getting him to check her body somehow. She goes on a yacht owned by wealthy criminals with a group of other girls, it seems like they're gonna be paid to give them oral sex. When the girls are under the table the men are sitting at, a rival yacht goes by and shoots all the men and the girls hide and then swim back to shore.

There is another subplot about a 12 ish girl who is a bully to other girls she plays tennis with, and is doing something to trap a pedophile online by talking to him on webcam and showing him to people.

It's a pretty short film (under 90 mins) and not much happens in it. I think the title was something City

Famous Mortimer

Unfortunately, there's a movie called "365 Days", also Polish, also chock full of oral sex on a boat, which is taking up all the search results.

zomgmouse

Mike Leigh TV episode "A Mug's Game" from 1972 - can't find it at all

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 30, 2021, 07:41:30 AM
Mike Leigh TV episode "A Mug's Game" from 1972 - can't find it at all

It's not on any of the private sites (Cinemageddon, CinemaZ, MySpleen) I'm a member of alas.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 31, 2021, 10:11:46 AM
It's not on any of the private sites (Cinemageddon, CinemaZ, MySpleen) I'm a member of alas.

Thanks for checking anyhow!

privatefriend

Andrey Tarkovsky. A Cinema Prayer 2019

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10850518/

I can't find this anywhere apart from the region locked critereon channel.

Edit: Was kindly sent a link to DL.

Small Man Big Horse

It's a fairly hefty file size but if you can't find it elsewhere I can obtain a 3.6 gig version of it, and all I'd require is a vial of blood from your first born child. That or the words "Cheers, that'd be great".

privatefriend

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 31, 2021, 04:00:19 PM
It's a fairly hefty file size but if you can't find it elsewhere I can obtain a 3.6 gig version of it, and all I'd require is a vial of blood from your first born child. That or the words "Cheers, that'd be great".

Ahh cool, but don't worry about it, good to know it's floating out there somewhere..

Small Man Big Horse

It really isn't an issue, I've got a decent ratio on that particular torrent site so downloading it won't be a problem.

Junglist

You're too quick SMBH, I can get an 8gig 1080p encode.

zomgmouse

Trying in vain to locate English subtitles for the 2008 Greek film Bank Bang. The film itself is around albeit in questionable quality but subtitles are nowhere to be found.

Junglist

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 01, 2021, 12:29:17 AM
Trying in vain to locate English subtitles for the 2008 Greek film Bank Bang. The film itself is around albeit in questionable quality but subtitles are nowhere to be found.

There are none sadly. I can get a DVD and TV encode but it's marked as no English subtitles.

zomgmouse

Chedney Honks

I would love to see some more Tsai Ming-Liang but I can't find anything on Blu-ray besides Goodbye, Dragon Inn which is great.

I especially want to see Rebels of the Neon God from some stills I've come across.

Anyone come across his stuff anywhere?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 02, 2021, 11:48:36 AM
I would love to see some more Tsai Ming-Liang but I can't find anything on Blu-ray besides Goodbye, Dragon Inn which is great.

I especially want to see Rebels of the Neon God from some stills I've come across.

Anyone come across his stuff anywhere?

Just looked at Rebels is up on the pirate bay and 1337x.