Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy People In Unexpected Places

Started by magval, January 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Three examples of comedy ones turning up in projects you wouldn't normally expect.

1) Chubby Brown was in the League of Gentlemen. Dunno, where they mates or something? Is he not an awful cunt?

2) Lee Mack's in an episode, maybe two, of the Mighty Boosh radio series. Seems an odd fit for him, like the kind of show he would sooner mock.

3) Mel Brooks was a regular voice actor in an Irish children's show about farmyard animals called Jakers!, in which he played a sheep.

Any others?

Dr Syntax Head

Les Dennis walking through Plymouth city centre on a cold and grey miserable February morning. He looked wretched and very depressed. Damn I've just re read the thread title and it says 'unexpected'. Sorry, my bad.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: magval on January 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM

1) Chubby Brown was in the League of Gentlemen. Dunno, where they mates or something? Is he not an awful cunt?

Royston Vasey is Chubby Brown's real name. Meta innit.

Shit Good Nose

Merchant in Logan, of course.  Can't hide that Bristolian accent, no matter how hard he tries.

At one time not so long ago it would have been anything serious that had Eric Bana in it, but these days I think more people are surprised when they see him in his previous comedy mode.

Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls.  Film's a bit iffy, but he is amazing in it.  Which is also surprising.

Richard Pryor was in quite a few grim films early in his career, which surprised a lot of people.  Even the ones that have elements of comedy, they're still depressing as fuck.

Oh, and Albert Brooks in Drive.  Fucking hell.  Wasn't sure it was him, even though I was.  If that makes sense.

I realise all of the above are comedy people in serious roles, but I think they fit given the individual surprise elements of each one.

Loads of comedy peeps turn up in kids TV shows.  Seem to remember Limmy (under his real name) was confirmed, despite no mention of it on his Wiki or IMDB pages, as having done voices in a few episodes of Bob the Builder.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I bought a new game in the sales the other day. Upon loading it up, I realised that one of the characters was voiced by Peter Serafinowicz. I failed the first level and he called me a "fucking bellend".

CaledonianGonzo

Eddie Hitler getting pretty much the first line in the new Star Wars.

Ignatius_S

Recently watched some of Scotland Yard, a crime anthology and in one episode, Wildfred Brambell played the boffin in white coat in the crime lab... later on in the same story, Kenneth J. Warren also appeared. Although Warren wasn't an actor associated primarily with comedy, he did appear in an episode of Steptoe and Son, as someone claiming to be Albert's illegitimate son.

Then when in the next episode, you could have knocked me down with a feather when Harry H. Corbett starred as the lead detective with a Scottish accent.

Of course, Brambell and Corbett only really got intrinsically linked with comedy after Steptoe, but it was lovely seeing them in dramatic roles.

Oh, in another episode, can't remember which, Brian Wilde played a seedy landlord or hotel manager and very good he was as well.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 18, 2018, 03:53:54 PM
Eddie Hitler getting pretty much the first line in the new Star Wars.

That reminds me of being pleasantly surprised when Simon Farnaby cropped up in Rogue One.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 18, 2018, 03:52:49 PM
I bought a new game in the sales the other day. Upon loading it up, I realised that one of the characters was voiced by Peter Serafinowicz. I failed the first level and he called me a "fucking bellend".
Is that Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2?

Brundle-Fly

Arthur Lowe in a tiny part of a reporter at the end of Kind Hearts & Coronets (1949)

Stephen 'Blakey' Lewis as a policeman in The Krays (1990)

bobloblaw

can mainly think of comic actors rather than comedians, but still:

David Schneider doing *surprised face* at yer man Cruise in Mission Impossible.

Brian Murphy turning up in The Devils when I only knew him as George Roper gave me quite the jolt.

Same when Lord Percy popped up in that Kate Bush video.

And when Lady Whiteadder herself Miriam Margoyles had a fight with Schwarzenegger in End of Days.

Merchant popped up in 24 an' all.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 18, 2018, 04:22:53 PM
Arthur Lowe in a tiny part of a reporter at the end of Kind Hearts & Coronets (1949)

Stephen 'Blakey' Lewis as a policeman in The Krays (1990)

Lewis also pops up in the film version of Sparrows Can't Sing (as is Bob Grant!) – when I first saw it, I hadn't realised that Lewis had adapted the script from his own play.

bobloblaw

comedians 'going straight' in Ken Loach films has become a bit of a thing - John Bishop, Dave Johns

Glebe

Quote from: magval on January 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM3) Mel Brooks was a regular voice actor in an Irish children's show about farmyard animals called Jakers!, in which he played a sheep.

And checking it out on Wiki, Joan Rivers also contributed - WTF?!? Was that just for the US showings?

Brundle-Fly

Fuck Me, I'm Nick Love!! (2006)
John Malkovich and James Dreyfuss as a pair of drunken football hooligans fall down a pub staircase while singing Sham 69's Hurry Up Harry. Jim Davidson and Charlie Drake look on with delight. 

Mr Banlon

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 18, 2018, 04:33:04 PM
And Barry Lyndon.

Rossiter is in A Kind of Loving – think he's only in two or three scenes, but he's very good as one of Alan Bates' co-workers.

For those, who haven't seen it, Thora Hird plays Bate's ghastly mother-in-law and she's superb. When she did An Audience With..., Bates was in the audience and they recounted the famous scene, where his character throws up behind a chair in the living room. IIRC, they had shot the scene so many times that Bates started to feel so sick that he actually vomited and Hird joked that her reaction in the film wasn't acting. Bates famously disliked doing celeb things like interviews and these type of appearances, so it was surprising to see him in the auidence but the affection and warmth between him and Hird was really quite charming.

Another of my favourite Hird roles was as a landgirl cheerfully shooting at Nazis in Went the Day Well?

non capisco

Couple of Hitchcock ones

John 'Private Frazer' Laurie turning up as the crofter who suspects Hannay is having it off with his younger missus in 1935's 'The 39 Steps'. He looks exactly the same age in this as he does in Dad's Army.

Charles Hawtrey suddenly wandering across shot in 1936's 'Sabotage' talking about the fertility rites of oysters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2N57c-naA4

magval

Quote from: Glebe on January 18, 2018, 04:31:02 PM
And checking it out on Wiki, Joan Rivers also contributed - WTF?!? Was that just for the US showings?

No, I caught it on either CBBC or RTE over here and thought it was a passable Mel Brooks impression, and how odd it was to base a character's voice on him, before catching the credits.

Thomas

A few faces, including our man, appear in Richard Ayoade's The Double (2013).

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

Bernard Cribbins in a rare straight role in Frenzy (1970)

up_the_hampipe

George Carlin in The George Carlin Show

Psmith

Sid James in Quatermass 2 and Hell Drivers.
And some more I expect.

Mobius

Quote from: magval on January 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM2) Lee Mack's in an episode, maybe two, of the Mighty Boosh radio series. Seems an odd fit for him, like the kind of show he would sooner mock.

Lee Mack was living with Noel Fielding at the time I believe. Think they mentioned it on WILTY or something once. They also shared an agent.

sprocket

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 18, 2018, 05:37:06 PM
Bernard Cribbins in a rare straight role in Frenzy (19702)

Clive "Richard Bucket" Swift as well.

Sin Agog

Andy Kaufman as a gun-totin' maniac cop in Larry Cohen's God Told Me To: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VHg8sQidmM

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Thomas on January 18, 2018, 05:27:43 PM
A few faces, including our man, appear in Richard Ayoade's The Double (2013).

Including J Mascis as a janitor!