Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy People In Unexpected Places

Started by magval, January 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mobius on January 19, 2018, 12:20:15 AM
Lee Mack was living with Noel Fielding at the time I believe. Think they mentioned it on WILTY or something once. They also shared an agent.

They seem like they'd be different generations. Noel Fielding is 44 years old. Christ!

Cold Meat Platter

Ferris

David Schneider Watch 2018: he was also the scientist that unwittingly released the virus in 28 days later. I couldn't take that scene seriously because I kept expecting a Brass Eye graphic on infected monkeys or something.

Gregory Torso

Nathan Fielder turned up uncredited in an episode of Drunk History playing either John Lennon or Paul McCartney. I can't remember which episode it was though.

Edit: looking at his wikipedia page it says he played Bob Woodward in the Washington DC episode but I swear he turned up as a Beatles.

Gregory Torso

I realise that post was a bit "hurr comedian appears in other thing" but it surprised me because I've only seen him on Nathan For You and didn't think he would play characters. I don't know why. What a pair of shitty posts. Oh well. Too late now.

Psmith

Peter Sellers in Never Let Go.
I think he's quite good but the critics didn't like him so he decided that comedy was more his thing.
Adam Faith is in it too (pop singers in unexpected places)

Glebe

Quote from: bobloblaw on January 18, 2018, 04:29:34 PMSame when Lord Percy popped up in that Kate Bush video.

Didn't know about that, but the Prince Regent pops up in the video for Annie Lennox's 'Broken Glass'!

Risteárd Cooper from Après Match as 'Captain Simonson' in Batman Begins:

(Gerard Murphy, who played the pilot in Father Ted episode 'Flight into Terror', also appears as a judge!)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Psmith on January 19, 2018, 05:26:33 AM
Peter Sellers in Never Let Go.
I think he's quite good but the critics didn't like him so he decided that comedy was more his thing.
Adam Faith is in it too (pop singers in unexpected places)

He does a pretty serious turn in Stanley Kubrick's  " Lolita ", too ( Sellers, not Faith ).

I would class his Clancey  Gardener in " Being There " as a sort of semi-serious bit of acting, too. I'd rather watch him doing stuff like that than him being a heavily disguised Inspector Clouseau farting in a crowded lift.

In order to fit the remit of this thread: John Cleese being serious in Branagh 's " Frankenstein", seriousness detracted from slightly with his then newly installed Richard Briers-like false teeth.

Gregory Torso

Ardal O'Hanlan turned up in the harrowing drama "My Hero".

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 19, 2018, 06:42:23 AM
He does a pretty serious turn in Stanley Kubrick's  " Lolita ", too ( Sellers, not Faith ).

I would class his Clancey  Gardener in " Being There " as a sort of semi-serious bit of acting, too. I'd rather watch him doing stuff like that than him being a heavily disguised Inspector Clouseau farting in a crowded lift.

He did quite a few serious roles - Hoffman, a film which has always been billed as a comedy but actually really isn't (and seems especially sinister with everything going on at the moment).  Sellers hated it so much he begged to buy the negative.  Boba Fett also appears in it; Trial and Error, which has a couple of light-hearted scenes, but is ostensibly a courtroom drama; The Blockhouse which, from memory, is incredibly depressing; John Guillermin's excellent Never Let Go; and The Optimists of Nine Elms.  There's also The World of Henry Orient, unique in this list because it's a drama film where he has the only comedic role.

And Undercovers Hero, which has absolutely no laughs in it whatsoever.

phantom_power

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 19, 2018, 04:00:25 AM
I realise that post was a bit "hurr comedian appears in other thing" but it surprised me because I've only seen him on Nathan For You and didn't think he would play characters. I don't know why. What a pair of shitty posts. Oh well. Too late now.

He is also in The Disaster Artist playing a character

bobloblaw

Quote from: Glebe on January 19, 2018, 05:55:19 AM
Didn't know about that, but the Prince Regent pops up in the video for Annie Lennox's 'Broken Glass'!

Risteárd Cooper from Après Match as 'Captain Simonson' in Batman Begins:

(Gerard Murphy, who played the pilot in Father Ted episode 'Flight into Terror', also appears as a judge!)

Clearly, Tim and serial nominees for the Brit Awards' Best British Female have a natural kinship.

this was the one. Bit of a weepie all round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXzx--YefD8

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: bobloblaw on January 18, 2018, 04:29:34 PM
can mainly think of comic actors rather than comedians, but still:David Schneider doing *surprised face* at yer man Cruise in Mission Impossible.
And he's also in the opening scene of 28 Days Later, doing *surprised face* at blood vomiting not-quite-zombies.

Tony Yeboah

Rebecca Front in Noel Edmonds' Gotchas!

Serge

Quote from: Glebe on January 19, 2018, 05:55:19 AMRisteárd Cooper from Après Match as 'Captain Simonson' in Batman Begins:

'Fast Show' stalwart Colin McFarlane also turns up in 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight'.

Sean Hughes turning up as a poet in the BBC version of 'Gormenghast' in the '90s was a bit odd. I mean, I know he was always doing straight roles, but he didn't seem to be the first person you'd have turned to for that (admittedly minor) role.

Gregory Torso

Rick Mayall in An American Werewolf In London.

phantom_power

David Baddiel turning up as an extra in Run Ronnie Run was an odd one

Ignatius_S

Recently re-watched Carol Reed's The Way Ahead, a WWII propaganda film about a squad of largely unwilling recruits being turned into a well-trained unit by David Niven and William Hartnell. Leslie Dwyer and John Laurie are in the squad, and very good they are too.

Been watching a lot of stuff on Talking Pictures, which is great for spotting veteran character actors regularly appearing – and in particular, Sid James and Leslie Dwyer crop up a lot.

Brundle-Fly

Oliver Hardy in Frank Capra's Riding High (1950). The word over-egged springs to mind. Ollie must have sighed when he first saw his costume at the fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9DDn0cJDU

RedRevolver

Every stand up that's appeared on CBBC. Which is quite a few.

Look, it's Miles Jupp, wearing pink, living in a castle and inventing stuff for/with kids! etc.

Clem Fandango's in the new Star Trek series on Netflix. He's got PTSD after being raped and tortured by Klingons (understandably - the trauma and not the rape etc., bloody Klingons. Alien to me, they are.). He's also not saying 'Steven? Steven? Hello, can you hear me?'and has a weird American accent. Very odd.

Ferris

Brundle-Fly

Gulftastic

Simon Pegg in 'Band Of Brothers', playing toadying Sgt Evans alongside David Schwimmer's hated Capt. Sobel.

Spoiler: he dies in episode 2.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 19, 2018, 02:56:15 PM
Simon Pegg in 'Band Of Brothers', playing toadying Sgt Evans alongside David Schwimmer's hated Capt. Sobel.

Spoiler: he dies in episode 2.

Speaking of Schwimmer reminds me that he was one of the leads Mike Figgis' film, Hotel and that Jeremy Hardy has a small supporting role as well.

Another unexpected place to find Pegg was in a department store (Debenhams, IIRC) performing magic tricks.

Spoon of Ploff

Dylan Moran and Chris O'Dowd turn up in Calvary.

Don't think I can watch the IT Crowd in quite the same way after that.

Brundle-Fly

Took me about five minutes to realise the hangman character in Burke & Hare (2010) was Bill Bailey. Looks so different without his beard.

Psmith

The Western "Shalako" has just been on tv and Eric Sykes was in it.
I think he's been in other non comedy stuff too.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 19, 2018, 12:58:22 PM
Oliver Hardy in Frank Capra's Riding High (1950). The word over-egged springs to mind. Ollie must have sighed when he first saw his costume at the fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9DDn0cJDU

He's also in the 1949 John Wayne film, 'The Fighting Kentuckian'.

phantom_power

Quote from: Psmith on January 19, 2018, 05:57:08 PM
The Western "Shalako" has just been on tv and Eric Sykes was in it.
I think he's been in other non comedy stuff too.

He was in The Others with Nicole Kidman