Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy People In Unexpected Places

Started by magval, January 18, 2018, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

I guess, out of all the adaptations, Richard Lester's Three Musketeers is the most farcical, but Spike Milligan's presence still leaps out in a "What are you doing here?" kind of way.

Famous Mortimer

Decent Canadian standup Russell Peters shows up as a cop in beyond-dismal kung-fu action movie "Tiger Claws 3", when he was presumably just grateful for the work.

Glebe

Quote from: Serge on January 19, 2018, 11:35:28 AMFast Show' stalwart Colin McFarlane also turns up in 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight'.

Oh right!

Quote from: Serge on January 19, 2018, 11:35:28 AMSean Hughes turning up as a poet in the BBC version of 'Gormenghast' in the '90s was a bit odd. I mean, I know he was always doing straight roles, but he didn't seem to be the first person you'd have turned to for that (admittedly minor) role.

Aha... there's quite a few comedians and actors with a strong connection to the comedy world in that... aside from Hughes, there's Celia Imire as Countess Groan, John Sessions as Prunesqualler, Richard Griffiths as Swelter, Warren Mitchell, Stephen Fry, Spike Milligan, Gregor Fisher and Windsor Davies, amongst others.

Quote from: Glebe on January 20, 2018, 05:06:54 AM
Aha... there's quite a few comedians and actors with a strong connection to the comedy world in that... aside from Hughes, there's Celia Imire as Countess Groan, John Sessions as Prunesqualler, Richard Griffiths as Swelter, Warren Mitchell, Stephen Fry, Spike Milligan, Gregor Fisher and Windsor Davies, amongst others.

Steve Pemberton being one of the others.

Serge

I've just remembered another one - Key and Peele turning up as two bumbling FBI agents in the first series of 'Fargo'. Admittedly, their roles are largely played for laughs, but it was still a jolt to see them sitting there as Malvo goes about his business.

Bad Ambassador

David Cross and Bob Odenkirk both have straight roles in The Post.

Bronzy

Rikki Fulton as a KGB officer in Gorky Park.

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 20, 2018, 05:52:55 PM
David Cross and Bob Odenkirk both have straight roles in The Post.

Odenkirk is probably more famous as a straight actor now I would think

drdad

Comedians seem to be drawn to the existentially grim world of Samuel Beckett: Buster Keaton in Film, Charlie Drake in Endgame; various productions of Waiting for Godot have featured Max Wall, Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson, Steve Martin and Robin Williams.

biggytitbo

Glebe

Graham Chapman as the teacher in the video for Iron Maiden's 'Can I Play with Madness?. Bruce Dickinson is a Python fan, and pops up in that Almost the Truth doc.

Morecambe and Wise in The Sweeney. Unfortunately it's painfully bad.

Morecambe and Wise on The Beatles' Anthology 1 (from when The Beatles did their show in 1963) is a treat, Eric is great.

Joan Sims playing a murderer in Ladykillers.

Pauline Quirke in Broadchurch.

Oliver Hardy in The Fighting Kentuckian

Wilfrid Brambell in The Terence Davies Trilogy

Sid James in The 39 Steps (1959 version)

Harry H. Corbett, Fulton Mackay and Bill Owen all in the same episode of Tales of the Unexpected (Corbett's last ever role) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0717500/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Not sure if a comedian as I know nothing about him, but it was a real thrill to see The Killer from Too Many Cooks show up in a small role as a NPC  merchant in the new Jumanji film. He has a very recognizable face so knew it was him straight away.

Likewise Nathan Fielder in Disaster Artist as someone mentioned...I love Nathan for You and The Room so was overjoyed to see Nathan portraying the role of Peter. Just a delight!

Brundle-Fly

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

They're hardly the most serious, Po-faced films, but I always forget Dan Aykroyd and Alexei Sayle are in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, respectively.

Gulftastic

I know he is probably more actor than comedian, it was a bit of a surprise to see Martin out off of Game On pop up as Stan Laurel in 'Chaplin'.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Glebe on January 21, 2018, 01:10:09 AM
Graham Chapman as the teacher in the video for Iron Maiden's 'Can I Play with Madness?. Bruce Dickinson is a Python fan, and pops up in that Almost the Truth doc.

Chapman also turned up in the US TV movie Still Crazy Like a Fox a couple years before his passing, as seen here:

https://youtu.be/qJcvibZG3D8?t=6m15s

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 23, 2018, 11:51:43 PM
Likewise Nathan Fielder in Disaster Artist as someone mentioned...I love Nathan for You and The Room so was overjoyed to see Nathan portraying the role of Peter. Just a delight!

That's not unexpected though really. Seth Rogen and Nathan went to the same high school, been friends for years. Nathan was bound to pop up in one of those films eventually.

Jerzy Bondov

Nathan Fielder is also in The Night Before (Seth Rogen Christmas film)  as a limo driver.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 19, 2018, 11:36:47 AM
Rick Mayall in An American Werewolf In London.

Which is where he met Bottom's Mr Rottweiler, aka Brian Glover.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 24, 2018, 08:22:17 PM
That's not unexpected though really. Seth Rogen and Nathan went to the same high school, been friends for years. Nathan was bound to pop up in one of those films eventually.

I wonder if Seth accepted Nathan's advice to do The Green Hornet after seeing his really good grades.

Ignatius_S

Always throws me to see Mayall in Shock Treatment.

Nigel Planer was in one of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes stories, as a police detective and very good was good.

In one of the McKenzie episodes of Marple, Keith Allen was a copper, Harry Enfield was also in the cast (a doctor) – sure there were other comedy performers in that very episode and after checking, see Jessica Hynes and John Sessions also featured. That series had quite a few others - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1734537/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast – Garden and Brooke-Taylor were in it but, alas, not in the same episode.

John Bird was very good in House of cards and To Play a King.

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 24, 2018, 05:41:03 PM
I know he is probably more actor than comedian, it was a bit of a surprise to see Martin out off of Game On pop up as Stan Laurel in 'Chaplin'.

Definitely an actor, rather than a comedian – however, Cottle has done an awful lot of telly comedy (he was in The Windsors, recently, and took over the role of Dave on Citizen Khan).

The other year, he was was in the first series of Unforgotten (a rather good ITV drama about murder cold cases) and really was very good. IIRC, only in a few scenes, but he was a stand-out for me. Also, Sanjeev Bhaskar is one of the leads as well.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Utterdrivel on January 25, 2018, 08:28:22 PM
Which is where he met Bottom's Mr Rottweiler, aka Brian Glover.

I'd never made that connection in my mind before, for some reason.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 25, 2018, 08:58:51 PM
Michael Palin in Blade Runner.

Huh?  Do you mean Brazil?

Icehaven

I was watching an episode of The Professionals last year and was delighted when Ramos, the mysterious and much feared Eastern European hitman who'd been spoken of in hushed tones throughout finally appeared towards the end and turned out to be Roger Lloyd-Pack wearing a bowl cut and a pair of ridiculous sunglasses.

Also I might have been the only person on earth to not know beforehand but when the credits started on Thor Ragnarok and ''Directed by Taika Waititi'' appeared I nearly fell off my chair. I'd had no idea, although in hindsight I could see it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 26, 2018, 01:20:09 PM
Huh?  Do you mean Brazil?

Nah mate Blade Runner. He played a robot, or something.

Glebe

Quote from: icehaven on January 26, 2018, 01:36:18 PMI was watching an episode of The Professionals last year and was delighted when Ramos, the mysterious and much feared Eastern European hitman who'd been spoken of in hushed tones throughout finally appeared towards the end and turned out to be Roger Lloyd-Pack wearing a bowl cut and a pair of ridiculous sunglasses.

You've just made me remember, Lloyd-Pack appears briefly in 1984.

I believe John Chalice pops up in an episode of The Sweeney.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Glebe on January 27, 2018, 02:36:46 PM
You've just made me remember, Lloyd-Pack appears briefly in 1984.

As does Rab C Nesbitt himself, Gregor Fisher. Although not quite as briefly as Roger does.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Actor Kevin Eldon just turned up in EastEnders! He was even trending on Twitter for half an hour, which was rather sweet.