Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching Quartermass properly.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, January 18, 2018, 08:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno whether to put this in the TV Series thread or here really.

What's the best way to enjoy this then? I know that the original BBC series The Quartermass Experiment only had the first two episodes telerecorded before they abandoned it.

I know Hammer made productions of The Quartermass Xperiment, Quartermass II and Quartermass and the Pit, but from II onwards is it best to move over to the telly or stick with the films?

I'm going to watch the 1979 telly series as well, obvs.

Serge

For a start you might want to take a proper look at the main character's name.....!!

Unfortunately, I've only seen the film versions, so can't make any comparisons to the TV. 'Pit' was the best of the films, and it's a shame they didn't get Andrew Keir in earlier to play Quatermass.

Spoon of Ploff

Ah. Don't forget the BBC 4 2005 remake of The Quatermass Experiment, where the climax is moved from St Pauls to the Tate Modern.

Sebastian Cobb

Didn't fancy the remake, not to begin with anyway.

Pranet

I've never seen the films.

I did see the TV series a bit back- well the middle two and what we have of the first.

The two episodes of the first series are worth watching if you are interested in tv history- can't be much uk tv drama surviving from that time.

I remember the second one being entertaining but it fell apart for me near the end.

The third was definitely the most genuinely enjoyable for me- it made me think of a Pertwee era Who.

I'd imagine the films are probably more watchable, being shorter and having a bigger budget, but if you like old telly I think the tv series are well worth a watch.

Mini

Quote from: Serge on January 18, 2018, 08:21:45 PM
Unfortunately, I've only seen the film versions, so can't make any comparisons to the TV. 'Pit' was the best of the films, and it's a shame they didn't get Andrew Keir in earlier to play Quatermass.

Brian Donlevy was good but pretty unsympathetic. I've not seen the show but really like the films, 2 and 3 particularly.

Glebe

The 1967 big-screen version of Quatermass and the Pit is one of my favourite films ever. Still not watched the original TV serial version, mind.

Sebastian Cobb

Watched the first one. I can see where Lifeforce got its ideas from.

Spoon of Ploff

They released the scripts of the TV series in paperback.

I have this one and The Pit somewhere up in the attic. Saddo that I am I was disappointed when the paperback for the 1979 Quatermass didn't follow suit.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on January 18, 2018, 08:28:54 PM
Ah. Don't forget the BBC 4 2005 remake of The Quatermass Experiment, where the climax is moved from St Pauls to the Tate Modern.

I watched a bit of that and couldn't work out why it felt so 'off'.  The lack of background music perhaps?

Blumf

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on January 18, 2018, 08:28:54 PM

Never sure why the remade that one, as other versions of it still exist. Why not remake one of Kneale's lost teleplays?

biggytitbo

The TV version and the film version of Pit are both absolutely excellent, the former having amazingly good production values for a BBC show of that era.

My favourite remains the 1979 John Mills series though, a powerful and dark piece of work that really stays with you.

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 19, 2018, 03:19:13 PM
The TV version and the film version of Pit are both absolutely excellent, the former having amazingly good production values for a BBC show of that era.

The TV version has always won out for me, just a better atmosphere and 'the event' itself feels much creepier. Having said that, the Hammer version is still top notch, can't go wrong either way.

My favourite remains the 1979 John Mills series though, a powerful and dark piece of work that really stays with you.

The copy they showed on... ITV4?... a few years back had crappy sound. Is there a better version floating about?

Bad Ambassador

There was a remastered Blu-ray from Network a few years ago.

Psmith

The Pit is much scarier in B&W.
I thought the John Mills version excellent but not many do, including Kneale himself.He didn't think much of it or Mills.Nigel seemed to be quite  a grumpy old man though.

Glebe

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 19, 2018, 03:56:50 PMThere was a remastered Blu-ray from Network a few years ago.

I haven't watched it, but Optimum's Blu-ray release of QatP (the movie) appears to boast a pretty superb transfer:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/quatermass_and_the_pit_blu-ray.htm

Sebastian Cobb

The 1979 series was re-edited in the us as a film so watch out as the bluray transfer might be that.

I've got a standard definition bluray rip of it, but can't really comment on the sound as I've not watched it, and only skipped through it on my laptop.

steveh

The Blu ray has both the series and the film. The series works better but the film has some scenes that the series doesn't, which tones down some aspects for broadcast viewing. I don't think it's entirely successful as a story and lacks the otherness of the earlier ones and the chills of QatP. Still a good watch, however.

manticore

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 19, 2018, 03:19:13 PM

I agree with this - the TV version was a million times better than I expected it to be. I expected it to be creaky and stilted but it wasn't at all. The only thing that lets it down is that they didn't have the special effects budget so the ending is a bit farcical with the characters describing events happening off camera. So ultimately I prefer the film, which is very similar really.

I think Quatermass 2 is great too, definitely worth seeing, very creepy - what are those strange installations in the middle of the countryside?