Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joni Mitchell

Started by Gwen Taylor on ITV, January 19, 2018, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timebug

My former sister in law had all of Joni Mitchells albums and used to drive us mental by insisting we heard them, when visiting. I can admire the fact she sometimes wrote a decent song, but could never take her voice. Like a dentists drill on some stuff, and it went right through me!

Crabwalk

She's got about 4 voices, how can you hate them all?!

Herbie Hancock rates her as one of the best jazz singers of all time. Her voice by Travelogue is incredible, rich like Billie Holiday's, and a looong away from the octave-leaping instrument she had in the 60s.

I mean, listen to 'Both Sides now' in 1969 and then in 2000:

Pre-a million fags

Post-a million fags

Voice as metaphor for life.

poodlefaker

He did a whole album of her songs; the version of "Edith and the Kingpin" with Tina Turner on vocals is fantastic. Also a great version of "Tea Leaf Prophecy".

Crabwalk

Indeed, and that's a good version of 'Edith'.

Have you seen that footage from '87 of Joni and Herbie in a session with Wayne Shorter, Larry Klein, and David Sanborn, with Bobby McFerrin pissing about on top of everything? Some sublime moments in there:

https://youtu.be/IGJyjFhCgkE

Not my cup of tea at all, but there are some very funny reviews here:

http://www.markprindle.com/mitchell.htm

Crabwalk

I love old Prind, probably most when he's hilariously wrong and out of his depth. Those are cracking reviews.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 20, 2020, 08:17:03 PM
I love old Prind, probably most when he's hilariously wrong and out of his depth.

Lovely chap too, I had a few fun chats with him about video nasties way back. Hope he's been doing OK since he retired the site.

I enjoyed the escalating rants from 'tbecker' in the comments of each review up to Court & Spark (her 'sellout' album, apparently), especially when he went nuclear on the intergenerational conflict. I found it impossible to read his thoughts without thinking "ok boomer".

daf

Good video showing you some of her mad guitar tunings - How To Play Joni Mitchell Songs

It's probably considered cheating by "proper" guitarists, but what a lovely sound they produce!

wosl

The Shadows And Light concert performance is well worth hearing and seeing (some of the annoying editing choices in the latter notwithstanding). Joni, on the cusp of early middle-age, cool and imperious, backed by crack team of fusion-jazzers - Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias, Lyle Mays and Mike Brecker - all serving the songs with nary more than the odd hint of grandstanding here and there, recorded on a balmy evening at an idyllic-looking Santa Barbara Bowl. (Incomplete bit of Coyote, taken from the VHS/DVD release here.)

Crabwalk

^ I posted the version of Amelia from S&L on the 'Astonishing YouTube Performances' thread recently. Just amazing.