Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A guy has a virtual reality seizure

Started by Barry Admin, January 19, 2018, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

I dunno if I can personally watch all of this, be warned, it's... disturbing, and crazy, but there's also an incredibly surreal aspect to it, given that his VR avatar has body tracking.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=D3V0aw-ljEg&feature=youtu.be

I don't even know what to say, other than, fuck me, the future really is pretty weird, and thankfully the guy is okay.

Twed

Watching somebody care for somebody's physical wellbeing like that in VIRTUAL REALITY is heartwarming and also feels a bit like touching the monolith.

MikeShaft

The little red mole near his head made me laugh. It's surreal.

Kelvin

Very surreal indeed, especially the bit where Morty goes over and sort of strokes his face, or the more knowledgeable person arrives in the form of a tiny demon girl.

black_betty

Kelvin

Desirable Industrial Unit

The moment at about 3 minutes in, when they've established that he's had a seizure, and psychedilic flashing clown girl rushes in and starts busting moves next to him is the comedy moment of the year so far.

BlodwynPig

St_Eddie

I'm only 35 and this video made me feel about 135.  What the fuck are people doing with their time these days?!  Back in my day...

I quite liked it when Bam's Father, Phil Margera started doing body slams on the passed out robot though.  Also "why's there a Sonic the Hedgehog?!" elicited a genuine chortle.  Like, man.  The presence of a distorted and squat Sonic, talking in a child's voice, is probably the least fucked up thing going on in that VR room at that point.

Dex Sawash

What is the point of that when nobody is having a seizure? Just a goofy chat room thing?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 20, 2018, 02:27:58 AM
What is the point of that when nobody is having a seizure? Just a goofy chat room thing?

I'd imagine.  I used to hang out in AOL chat rooms from time to time, when I was younger.  However, the VR aspect, combined with everyone having an incredibly nerdy avatar, gives the whole thing the air of some kind of furries convention.  It's all a little bit sad and seedy and you know that's a bad thing, when it's coming from a CaBer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This just made the new series of Black Mirror redundant. The fact everyone is realising at the same time that their online personas are obfuscating real and meaningful human contact. I would encourage people to watch as there's something profound about it.

As for the VR room itself, it reminds me of some of the early stuff on Dreamcast's online service where they had to have some stuff but were only just starting to work out what they could do with it. Lots of 'well... We're err... Here then" type mmo games.

checkoutgirl

Yeah the graphics are staggeringly primitive given It's 2018. And why are there loads of avatars just messing about in a room? And if I saw that happening I'd assume it was a glitch rather than a seizure.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2018, 08:28:16 AM
This just made the new series of Black Mirror redundant. The fact everyone is realising at the same time that their online personas are obfuscating real and meaningful human contact. I would encourage people to watch as there's something profound about it.

It is surreal to watch, but the same could be said of almost all long distance communication. It no more "obfuscates real and meaningful human contact" than this website at times of crisis, for example. Someone on skype, faceboo or the telephone would be just as impotent. This incident merely highlights their limitations.

Lemming

The little anime demon girl with the 30 year old man's voice dispensing crucial medical info is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Perhaps second only to the shitty off-model Knuckles The Echidna with the super saiyan wig walking over the dude's hyperventilating body.

"Everyone that has LED colours and shit needs to back away from him, because you could cause him to have another episode."

*dancing neon-rainbow glowing Wendy's avatar backs away slowly*

EDIT: Just noticed the giant Hank Hill with weird polygonal cubic body looking on in distress.

Kryton

Quote from: Kelvin on January 19, 2018, 04:28:40 PM
Very surreal indeed, especially the bit where Morty goes over and sort of strokes his face, or the more knowledgeable person arrives in the form of a tiny demon girl.

Jesus Christ yes. We've reached another level. Genuinely feel sorry for the poor guy, but I nearly spat my drink out when a VR Morty wandered over.
The fact that he's glitched into the stairs is just grotesque.

3:41 there's a psychedelic girl dancing in front of him now. A fat man in a nappie. Morty. A little red thing with a child's voice asking if he's ok? A giant white dinosaur. A Leprechaun. Some little people. Hank Hill but with a body made from cubes. All circling him, concerned. Imagine coming round from a seizure and seeing all that. Jesus.

The man in the nappie keeps falling on him.

'We actually need a medic in here'.

Bizarre video.

Kryton

[tag]Chairman Bodog's after-party[/tag]

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kelvin on January 20, 2018, 04:30:22 PM
It is surreal to watch, but the same could be said of almost all long distance communication. It no more "obfuscates real and meaningful human contact" than this website at times of crisis, for example. Someone on skype, faceboo .or the telephone would be just as impotent. This incident merely highlights their limitations.

I was mainly talking about the shared personal revelations of the people in the room.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2018, 05:19:05 PM
I was mainly talking about the shared personal revelations of the people in the room.

I apologise. I thought you meant they couldn't physically help him as Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mister Six

Imagine that being the last thing you see. It'd be like that bit in Innerspace but with furries.

Ham Bap

Obviously awful that someone had a seizure but that's one of the funniest videos I've seen in a while, the leprechaun wandering around in the background, Morty looking concerned, the fat guy in his pants.

Twed

It's the psychedelic flailing Wendy that kills me. And the way the voice-accurate Morty looks at the camera and asks for a medic.

BlodwynPig

How do they walk around? Are they walking around in the real world too?

Ham Bap

When Morty asks for a medic and the white dinosaur walks in...

Twed

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 20, 2018, 10:53:55 PM
How do they walk around? Are they walking around in the real world too?
In all VR I've played, walking and turning is done by a normal controller stick in your hand. The motion tracking is just arms, head and maybe legs.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on January 21, 2018, 12:15:20 AM
In all VR I've played, walking and turning is done by a normal controller stick in your hand. The motion tracking is just arms, head and maybe legs.

OK. Interesting. Very interesting. I wonder if there are people now who live near 100% in the virtual world.

Bazooka

It's what the creators of all those character licenses would have wanted.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twed on January 21, 2018, 12:15:20 AM

I'm learning a lot here, 1 minute video that answers some questions

https://youtu.be/LtMfrkRqlRs

Kryton

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 21, 2018, 12:48:06 AM
OK. Interesting. Very interesting. I wonder if there are people now who live near 100% in the virtual world.

The size of Ireland.

Kelvin

I think this video may have surpassed the rollercoaster one as my favourite VR video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3V8zeSljUU

skip the first one minute and ten seconds of them just standing around.