Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Board Game] Diplomacy and Online Settlers Of Catan

Started by Borboski, January 17, 2005, 07:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borboski

Right this is a great game I thought I'd share with you,  perhaps some of youse have played it before.

It's essentially like the board game Risk. You have a map of the world, and counters indicating armies, and the aim of the game is to take over the world.

However, there's no dice.  The turns are done by writing down you're orders: Now you only ever have one army/ship in a territory; so you would write down;

Gallipoli attacks Sevastopol

Now you might have an army in somewhere neighbouring both, in which case you could add

Gallipoli attacks Sevastopol
Berlin (?) supports Gallipoli into Sevastopol.

Unless the person with the army in Sevastopol had another army supporting that territory they'd lose. Easy eh!  Of course the point of the game is to get the other players to support you or defend your pieces.

As an idea of scale, it's Europe, for up to seven players and you start with 3/4 armies or ships, so it's quite simple to start with.  This website explains it all, as someones devised a very handy programme to play by email.  One or all people run the programme, then you just copy and paste your orders in a txt file and email it over to the gamesmaster - who can either email back the saved game file to everyone, or just a jpg/bitmap of the map.

It's really great, when I was about 17 we used to play a game over a four nights, drinking and smoking cigerettes into the early hours of the morning.  The diplomacy section consists of taking people off into rooms and bargaining "it could be so good, you can take Russia while I take Germany, you know it makes sense" and then doublecrossing hahahha.  So it's perfectly suited to a few emails everyday at lunch.

Anyway, this is the website;

http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

One of the reason's I ask is I'm starting up a game and have 6 people, but it's upto seven so I thought I'd ask if anyone else used to be addicted to this.

Or devote this thread to other great boardgames!

butnut

That sounds like it could be fun. Never played it myself. Maybe we could set up a whore's game if people were interested.

falafel

My dad always goes on about this game whenever I mention Risk. He played it a lot at university, I think. Maybe I'll try and get some mates in on it... so, it's a laugh then? Thing is - just to make a connection - the deal-doing is the thing I hate the most about Monopoly. It makes me really uncomfortable and angry. Which suggests to me that this might not be my thing.

Purple Tentacle

I fucking hate it when people ally and gang up in Risk, it's so pointless because the slimiest, most unctious person always wins people over, then fucks everybody else, and does it time after time again because people are too scared of them.

Yes, it sounds like it would make me angry as well!

Love this game, many a student evening was spent arguing why I didn't want to be Austria/Germany...  Problem is the games take hours, and theres no real short cut. You need a lot of time and several patient friends (who don't mind being crossed and double crossed...)

If theres a whotres game, count me in.

Jemble Fred

So what's this got to do with Harry Hill and Avalon? That must be what the title refers to? Damnably coincidental if not.

Borboski

Dr David V

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"So what's this got to do with Harry Hill and Avalon? That must be what the title refers to? Damnably coincidental if not.
Bollocks, beaten to it. Must have been a really obvious gag then. Now, board games... Mouse Trap! That was great, until the pieces inevitably went missing. Does anyone remember the children's game-show of it? They had to go around the board before the trap went down and the contestants lost a load of mountain bikes or something.

splattermac

I've played a couple of boardgames recently, one I've mentioned before called 'Settlers of Catan', which I believe has been bought up by Microsoft for online gaming (If anyone is playing that can you let me know if it's any good?) I played it about four or five years ago and it ended up as our travel game in the camper I went around Oz in. It really is good with a couple of pints and some mates. There's sort of a haiku philosophy to that, tea and cakes made sweeter by friends - friends made sweeter by tea and cakes, etc. I'm not sure if I don't just play the game in order to have a drink and a laugh, anyhoo.

More recently I played one called Puerto Rico, this has no dice rolling and is probably too clever for me because I just stumbled through it blindly.

Another being Carcassonne which seemed interesting enough. You can find out about all three here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

If you fancied a dabble I'd go with Settlers of Catan and get the expansion pack that lets you sail to other islands, sounds daft but it's a good fun evening :)

Still Not George

Well, I just recently put in an order for the new version of classic Geek pisstake card game Chez Geek, called (inevitably) Chez Goth. It includes such wonderful cards as "Yet More Fucking Ankhs" and "Faint Dramatically."

Borboski

Jet Set Willy

Quote from: "splattermac"I've played a couple of boardgames recently, one I've mentioned before called 'Settlers of Catan', which I believe has been bought up by Microsoft for online gaming (If anyone is playing that can you let me know if it's any good?) I played it about four or five years ago and it ended up as our travel game in the camper I went around Oz in. It really is good with a couple of pints and some mates. There's sort of a haiku philosophy to that, tea and cakes made sweeter by friends - friends made sweeter by tea and cakes, etc. I'm not sure if I don't just play the game in order to have a drink and a laugh, anyhoo.

More recently I played one called Puerto Rico, this has no dice rolling and is probably too clever for me because I just stumbled through it blindly.

Another being Carcassonne which seemed interesting enough. You can find out about all three here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

If you fancied a dabble I'd go with Settlers of Catan and get the expansion pack that lets you sail to other islands, sounds daft but it's a good fun evening :)

Young man, I had no idea about microsoft and settlers of catan, I'll have to look into that right now.

I love settlers of catan and could play it constantly if it didn't make me look like a freak.

I got Puerto Rico for xmas, it's fantastic too, there's no dice rolling, so nothing is random. Despite first impressions its not particularly similar to 'Catan' . Games are almost always suprisingly close. Setting it up takes quite a while though and there's loads of fiddly bits.

I must say I'm glad I have a family that likes these kind of things, it would be a requisite of any young girl I should become involved with that she must enjoy board games!

Anyone else play perudo?

butnut

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"Anyone else play perudo?

Yes, I've played that a few times. I really enjoyed it. 5 dice isn't it? And you have to guess how many of a certain number are rolled. Haven't played it for a few years, so you'll have to refresh my memory.

Jet Set Willy

Quote from: "butnut"
Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"Anyone else play perudo?

Yes, I've played that a few times. I really enjoyed it. 5 dice isn't it? And you have to guess how many of a certain number are rolled. Haven't played it for a few years, so you'll have to refresh my memory.

Yes you've more or less remembered it.

1s are wild

you lose a dice if your bluff is called or you wrongly call someone elses bluff

and when you get to 1 dice you have a palafico round

i would explain it if anyone cares remotely!

I was pleasantly suprised to see in the Peter Cook biography photographs of old Pete at a celebrity perudo tournament.
I would beat him though.

splattermac

here's another for you JSW, I've just been told this is the bees knees but I'm a tad sozzled so I won't be trying to play it tonight

http://www.s3dconnector.net/screens/screenshots.php

It's basically Settlers 3D.

Me and one of my mates have been invited to play in a league by some other mates of ours, so I've just played two games tonight in the company of some new people and had a laugh and a brain wrack I think this means I have a hobby, I've never had a hobby before. I hope this isn't the slippy slope to doing jigsaws.

Jet Set Willy

Wow that looks cool, keep playing and and I'll play you one day.

Thanks splat.

splattermac

I've just started playing it tonight and it's great.

Here's the idea behind this game, it might be too simple for some of you ;)

There are numbers on the board and these relate to the resources,

wheat / wood / ore / sheep / brick and the occasional gold

You use these to build roads, ships, cities, settlements and buy development cards (pot luck, they can be worth points or give you resources and add to existing cards to increase your points)

Your turn starts with a roll of the dice, everyone who has either a settlement or city counter adjacent to the tile picks up that resource. You can then spend cards from your hand or you can trade with fellow players, offering one for one, or two for one deals or more if you are a desperate mentalist. This is one way of getting resources you might be short of.

Look here http://www.s3dconnector.net/screens/screenshots.php for an idea of the board, it's clever because it shows you what options you can have and during a network game there is an undo funtion but it only allows one undo.

Download it here, don't bother with the speaky files, just grab the app
http://www.s3dconnector.net/download.php

then follow the short and simple guide here
http://www.s3dconnector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1139

choose a three player game and create players as instructed and play a hotseat game. This is you vs you x 2 and means you can play around with it and get a feel for how it plays. Then you go play online against real people :)

piece of piss, see you in there.

splattermac

are none of you playing this yet?

I played it for 7 hours last night, pissed as a fart and terrible eyestrain :)

I even woke up craving a game.

Oh and if you use the arrow keys you can tilt and rotate the board, really useful for seeing the robber when he is on a dark tile.

edit: isn't Sir Loin of Beef one of our whores, I saw him getting booted from a game :)

good ol' whores

Borboski

Heh, I've been trying to get on a game earlier on, kept telling people "I don't know what I'm doing so I" and getting booted so this time I am going to keep schtumm.  It's looks good though, took me a while to realise that the numbers on the board relate to the dice being thrown - so 6 and 8 are obviously the best tiles.

Right, I'm going to get in a game now.

imitationleather

I downloaded it earlier but can't make head nor tail of it.

splattermac

play a couple of hot seat games against yourself otherwise if you don't have a clue you won't get a network game.

The pips on the numbers relate to the frequency they come up, 6 and 8 are the best and 7 is the robber.

It's easy leatherboy, spend 15 minutes setting it up and dabbling and you'll soon figure it out if you read how it's played.

edit: I'm splattermac if anyone has figured out the buddy list, drop your names in here and we'll see if we can have some whore on whore action :)

Borboski

I think I'm starting to get addicted!!!

We should run a game Monday night. I think you need to start a game online with some helpful people.

splattermac

Broadband users can host games and assign a password so we can play each other easy enough by posting the join password in here.

I only wanted to play a game or two today and already I have a thousand yard stare. When we get some experience we can play the Grand Catan, huge board :D , get your beers, dope and nibbles ready.

My fave board is the oceans ones with the blank tiles you have to discover, it has a real feeling of urgency about it.

Jet Set Willy

I'll fucking beat you all!!!!!!!!!

I haven't downloaded this thing yet though, have to give it a try. Now. Time to switch computers.

splattermac

here is a better image (200K) that kind of explains what takes place is a very 'you can probably guess the rest' kind of way.

http://www.splattermac.com/imagehost/temp_share/settler_screenshot.gif

I'm on a 20 played 5 won ratio :/

Jet Set Willy

In my first game i came joint second (was doing well tho!).
I probably wont' be able to play any more tonight but I'll make sure I check in here tomorrow if any of youse want to play (in the evening).

The rules are all a bit different to plain old board game - with getting a city for your second placed settlement...
and I've never played any of the other versions otehr than simple so it will be a great adventure (in which I shall no doubt lose appallingly).

splattermac

the second placement of a city isn't always the case. It's a special rule

Jet Set Willy

ah OK
how do you know what the rules are gonna be?

splattermac

not sure, there is info when you click to potentially join a game. When you host one you can monkey about with the rules you see.

edit:

map info you can get from the top toolbar, go to pop up and down to maps

also the placing of the second settlement as a city at the start is tournament rules.

imitationleather

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'll have another few games later.