Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Board Game] Diplomacy and Online Settlers Of Catan

Started by Borboski, January 17, 2005, 07:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butnut

Boohoo. It doesn't look like it will work on a mac. Am I right?

splattermac

from the FAQ

QuoteDoes Sea3D run on Linux or MacOS?
No, it does not. It runs on Win32 platforms only. For those interested in knowing why there's no port to Linux, it's because I use MFC everywhere in Sea3D.

However, I have seen the error of my ways, and in my rewrite of the game, in which I am adding the Cities & Knights expansion, the entire game is being refactored to use wxWidgets, a cross-platform GUI toolkit, which, in theory, will allow Cities3D to be run on Linux and/or MacOS. Only time will tell on that for sure

I just won a game to 12 points without have any sheep resources, in your face sheep mafia!!

falafel

Jesus - I've tried and tried, but I really don't have the slightest inkling of a clue what's going on here.

Ah well, I guess board games really aren't my forté.

splattermac

I'm sorry to hear that, would be nice to get some whores playing.

I'm going to get the necessary ports forwarded and then I will be able to host a game, yay, and kicks JSW's arse, yay some more ;)

Borbs, have you noticed you can leave people you've played against a rating much like ebay?

Click on your little sheep icon on your player page.

Borboski

Well I've not been able to get any more than 5 points so far.  You start with two, get two buildings the longest line of roads, then I've got either a point from a Victory Point card, or a point from upgrading a settlement to a city.

I've been having problems building new settlements.  I've got all the resources as put in the legend, then (I think) I made sure or built a road, but the button hasn't come up.

I'm not sure what roads or ships do.

Apart from that, I've played a few games now and I'm starting to like it.  The trading aspect is what it's all about, especially when you can work out theres no, say, timbre, and then you either get hold of some and can hold everyone to ranson, or you get a monopoly card and grab about 10 wheats off the other characters.

I've only played in 4 player games as of yet... the bigger the better I reckon.

splattermac

look at my screenshot and I'll give you a clue, you must be great to play against, all those people nabbing points off you because you aren't up to speed with the rules ;)

Wood tile #5

There are two settlements, one has a road and one has a ship.

Settlements can only be built two edges apart so there is only one space left on the tile to build and that is on the brick port (8 o'clock). To get to that spot you need to build either roads or ships to it.

You build a road with brick and wood.
You build a ship with wood and sheep (you can only sail from a coastal settlement), ships count as roads and are included in the '2 points Longest Road'

Do you know that the person with the longest road (5 and over) gets 2 points and the person with the largest army (3 and over) gets 2 points and people compete for these throughout the game because it's one way to steal or block a win towards the end.

You get the largest army by buying development cards and playing the soldier card, with the soldier you can move the robber on to someone's tile to hamper them and steal a card from them.

Ports, the little triangles around the coastal tiles. Place a settlement on one of these and on your go you can use the 'bank' option to trade one resource for another.

That's all I can think of for the moment :)

Borboski

If Mrs B doesn't mind I'm up for playing a game after the match tonight.

And definately a game tommorow (Wed night).

Aha - I get what you mean about settlements.

zozman

Bump

My searching ability is clearly gash.

Here though - if you want to play VW Diplomacy sign up here.  Or haven't you got the minerals?  

I watched Snatch the other night, alright?

Muggins

If anyones still into Settlers of Catan, there's quite an incredibly addictive java version of it over here: http://games.asobrain.com/.  It has a thriving and friendly community as well, so there's always someone to play against.  And you can play on your own with bots.  And it has all the versions.

dredd

Here's a different settlers of catan server. It has fairly rudimentary graphics, worth a try if you can't get the other one to work. You can usually get into a game quite quickly.

http://ladder.jsettlers.com/index.html

I remember it takes quite a while to load when you start your first game, so you need some patience.

hencole

Anyone played similtaneous risk? It's sounds exactly like the OP desription only using modified risk games. It's the best game I've played in a long time and far better than the normal who goes first wins version of risk. It only works as PC game though, but is throuragly reccomended.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Anyone know of any good board games not mentioned in this thread? It is a Christmas tradition in my family to get a new one each year but I haven't seen anything I fancy!

hencole

I can’t recommend the game Carcassonne enough. A friend of mine was visiting this week and it was suggested we play this at my weekly poker game. Everyone who played said they were going to pick up a copy and the consensus among was that it was probably the best game they’d ever played, second only to sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Basically it’s a territory grabbing tile laying game that plays a bit like an advanced form of dominos. The object being to score points by creating and controlling cities, roads, farms and cloisters. Every game is very different and it has a great balance of luck and skill which in my opinion all the best games have, and allows even amateurs the chance of winning. There are quite a few expansion packs that add rules and tiles, and the few that I’ve played so far really added to the game whilst still keeping it balanced.

10/10

Quote from: "hencole"I can’t recommend the game Carcassonne enough. A friend of mine was visiting this week and it was suggested we play this at my weekly poker game. Everyone who played said they were going to pick up a copy and the consensus among was that it was probably the best game they’d ever played, second only to sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Basically it’s a territory grabbing tile laying game that plays a bit like an advanced form of dominos. The object being to score points by creating and controlling cities, roads, farms and cloisters. Every game is very different and it has a great balance of luck and skill which in my opinion all the best games have, and allows even amateurs the chance of winning. There are quite a few expansion packs that add rules and tiles, and the few that I’ve played so far really added to the game whilst still keeping it balanced.

10/10

To be honest I'm not a huge Carcassone fan. I don't know whether we've been playing it wrong but it seems that most of the farms get linked together into one big one, meaning that everyone uses up most of their settlers by putting them as farmers whenever and wherever they can. Also, when people get an unfair share of cloisters they have a real advantage.

Your thoughts?

hencole

I've only played it a few times, but I found that in the games that we used the river add on (and the river 2 and builder add on to some extent), you don't get uber farms appearing nearly as much and it's more balanced. Can't say I've found the cloisters to be that big an advantage.

MojoJojo

I have the Hunters and Gatherers add on, which tries to fix some of the problems in the original.

I would also suggest Ticket To Ride - the Markin - the model train company? version is upposed to be best and is the one I've played. Very tense.  Have to grab connections to link up the cities you have routes for. You're only allowed to do one thing in a turn, so it ends up very tense - do you grab connections as soon as you can, to make sure you get them before anyone else, or do you wait a bit, get enough tokens to grab several connections in consecutive turns, so as not to give away your intentions and to leave yourself more room to manouever if you get blocked.

It is good.

Quote from: "MojoJojo"I have the Hunters and Gatherers add on, which tries to fix some of the problems in the original.

I would also suggest Ticket To Ride - the Markin - the model train company? version is upposed to be best and is the one I've played. Very tense.  Have to grab connections to link up the cities you have routes for. You're only allowed to do one thing in a turn, so it ends up very tense - do you grab connections as soon as you can, to make sure you get them before anyone else, or do you wait a bit, get enough tokens to grab several connections in consecutive turns, so as not to give away your intentions and to leave yourself more room to manouever if you get blocked.

It is good.

yeah I like Ticket To Ride a lot! I have Ticket to Ride Europe. I agree that it gets very tense and tempers can run very high as people take each others' intended routes.

Catalogue Trousers

Still Not George wrote:

QuoteWell, I just recently put in an order for the new version of classic Geek pisstake card game Chez Geek, called (inevitably) Chez Goth. It includes such wonderful cards as "Yet More Fucking Ankhs" and "Faint Dramatically."

Borboski added:

QuoteTell me more more more!

Okay, then.

Strictly speaking, Chez Goth is a spin-off/supplement to the original Chez Geek, and to be polite the card is called (I think) "Yet More Freaking Ankhs", since there are kids buying this thing.

There are various other versions: Chez Dork, involving characters from Jon Kovalic's excellent Dork Tower comic, Chez Greek, set in a college frat house, Chez Grunt (revolving around the Army), and Chez Guevara (Chez Geek with revolutionaries).

They're pretty good fun, certainly an enjoyable way of whiling away an hour or so. The Munchkin series of games is also pretty neat.

Played a couple of games of Risk recently and have enjoyed them immensely. Hadn't played for ages!

What are everyone's favourite tactics? I'm playing again tomorrow - world domination!

mothman