Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 739
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Not very good films that you like

Started by BritishHobo, January 20, 2018, 12:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Jones

Quote from: thraxx on February 10, 2018, 10:18:01 PM
Is it?  I had just assumed it was bollocks because Tom Cruise was in it.

The same Tom Cruise who is rarely in bad films? I don't like the guy but apart from a couple of stinkers, his films are at the very least entertaining. I dunno, I'm easily pleased and like action films.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2018, 03:37:22 AM
In terms of story and dialogue; yeah, pretty much.  It's always horribly written too.  The appeal of the GTA series has always lay within its sandbox gameplay.  Which is why it's such a piss poor candidate for a movie adaptation.
Crank movies?

notjosh

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 11, 2018, 04:58:01 AM
The same Tom Cruise who is rarely in bad films? I don't like the guy but apart from a couple of stinkers, his films are at the very least entertaining. I dunno, I'm easily pleased and like action films.

Yes, they're missing out on some corkers if they take that attitude. Edge of Tomorrow and the later Mission: Impossibles have been some of the best action films of recent years.

mothman

We should probably permalink the Mummy thread where we all outed ourselves as closet Tom Cruise fans, who find many of his films pleasing in some way.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: notjosh on February 11, 2018, 08:09:35 AM
Yes, they're missing out on some corkers if they take that attitude. Edge of Tomorrow and the later Mission: Impossibles have been some of the best action films of recent years.

Never watched any of the MIs. Interesting to hear of a long running series having a late peak though. Which should I leap in with?

Custard

I'd say Mission Impossible 1

Seriously though, I really like it. They're all worth a watch. Plus Thandie Newton at her beautiful peak is in one of them.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2018, 02:43:57 AM
It's wildly inappropriate for the big screen treatment.

Which is why I'm suprised it hasn't happened. Are Battleships or Rampage appropriate for big screen treatment? Of course not, but there's enough name recognition there for them to make money out of it. And GTA has one of the most famous names in gaming, if they made a film with that name they more or less have an instant worldwide audience for it. Not saying it would be oscar worthy, not saying they have to do the story beat for beat and use all the same dialogue from the games, I just can't believe it hasn't been done when you consider some of the other game licenses they've gone after.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2018, 03:37:22 AM
In terms of story and dialogue; yeah, pretty much.  It's always horribly written too.  The appeal of the GTA series has always lay within its sandbox gameplay.  Which is why it's such a piss poor candidate for a movie adaptation.

GTA has always been horribly written? Well that's just hyperbolic nonsense. They might not be to your tastes, and they might not work on the big screen, but there were/are always characters and story in the GTA games. You could easily make an action comedy out of GTAV, 3 criminal pals and their hi-jinks and crazy set-pieces, or a more serious crime drama with GTA IV and the immigrant coming to America to make his fortune, there are elements of story and characters there that could easily be turned into a decent film with a competent screenwriter, the guys who wrote GTA are not screenwriters so of course it won't work as a straight adaption. The reason why Hollywood makes game based films is because of the name recognition, they already have an audience so its a pretty good bet they'll make a profit, whether the game has a good story or not is irrelevant, that's the not why it was chosen. And as GTA has huge name recognition it's one of the leading candidates for film treatment, whether the end result be good or bad.

i think the main problem is that the plots of GTA games have always been derivative of crime films to the point of often seeming like an affectionate pastiche. making films out them would be like the snake swallowing the tail

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I think the only way to get it to work is to go full-on Crank mode, embrace the craziness and just go with it. I think it would have to have a big comedy element because like you say, GTA isn't shy about wearing their influences on their sleeve so you have to either spoof those influences or just ramp them up to the extreme, otherwise you're just left with a boring, derivative movie (ie the majority of games-based movies).

Hopefully we're getting to a point now where there are Hollywood screenwriters who grew up playing games so they have a better idea of how to do an adaption and people can stop getting it all so wrong.

Sebastian Cobb

GTA is an example of a game that has become more cinematic throughout the series. I think a film would be really dull though.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 11, 2018, 10:48:32 AM
i think the main problem is that the plots of GTA games have always been derivative of crime films to the point of often seeming like an affectionate pastiche. making films out them would be like the snake swallowing the tail
i said that

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 11, 2018, 02:51:54 AM
What would be the point of a gta game? isn't every gta just references to movies the makers like?

so you did. my apologies

kidsick5000

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on February 11, 2018, 09:36:09 AM
Never watched any of the MIs. Interesting to hear of a long running series having a late peak though. Which should I leap in with?

The first two are almost like standalones. And frankly, apart from a couple of moments, the second is only really notable for giving us Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

M:I 3-5 run like more of a series. Can be watched by themselves, but have more of a thread. I still really like 3 - it's a very smart action film.

Hard to call the series having a late peak as it took 10 years to get to part 3. That the upcoming film is only three years after the last feels like a lightning turnaround compared to other instalments. Who knows if Cruise has another left in him. If he has, it's probably already being prepped to beat the clock.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 11, 2018, 10:32:38 AM
Which is why I'm suprised it hasn't happened. Are Battleships or Rampage appropriate for big screen treatment? Of course not, but there's enough name recognition there for them to make money out of it. And GTA has one of the most famous names in gaming, if they made a film with that name they more or less have an instant worldwide audience for it. Not saying it would be oscar worthy, not saying they have to do the story beat for beat and use all the same dialogue from the games, I just can't believe it hasn't been done when you consider some of the other game licenses they've gone after.

Well, of course.  My point wasn't that they can't make a GTA movie but rather that they shouldn't.  Hence "inappropriate", as opposed to 'impossible'.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 11, 2018, 10:43:20 AM
GTA has always been horribly written? Well that's just hyperbolic nonsense.

I stand by my statement.  The stories and dialogue in the GTA games is routinely of a dire standard, which is why it's just as well that the gameplay is so very immensely fun, engaging, satisfying and downright cathartic.