Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not very good films that you like

Started by BritishHobo, January 20, 2018, 12:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

mr bean's holiday
johnny english
simpsons movie
click (i would name other sandlers but theyre too good for this)
i am sam - egregious i know
new thread sam

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 20, 2018, 02:12:37 PM
I think it's widely liked a bit. I like it apart from the bits I don't like. Talking about Die Hard, I quite liked Hudson Hawk, which seems like it came out before he was Die Hard, but it wasn't, it was after.

I liked Hudson Hawk so much I bought the ex-rental version from my local video shop for twenty quid. And that was back when twenty quid was a lot of money, I can tell you.

I've only seen it the once but I had a great time watching Freddy vs Jason at the cinema, and remember laughing a fair deal in the otherwise silent cinema. But then I do have a weak spot for gory horror, especially OTT stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

What about Running Man? Is that a bit too cult?

phantom_power

All of the Nightmare on Elm Street films. yes, ALL of them

Brundle-Fly

With a few exceptions, most gory horror films aren't considered very good because they are generally viewed as a cheap thrills genre or just plain offensive and nasty. I've just recently rewatched the Hostel films for the first time since they were released and yes, they are really nasty and offensive but still enjoyable if you take them as extremely dark comedies in the spirit of Grand Guignol.

One criticism that was made at the time, was the stereotyping of Eastern Europeans as untrustworthy, menacing and backward, but the American characters all come over as vain, spoilt and boorish. It's a cartoonish satire. I am aware Eli Roth is no Neil Simon though.

Brundle-Fly

Carry On films...but I think that is a nostalgia thing. Not watched one in years, mind.

Red Lantern

The Omega Man

I love this film. So many great bits in it. As if Charlton Heston would like Woodstock! He runs a mile in 3 minutes 50! "Neeeeeeevvvvvvvilllllle". "Take him to the little room, for questioning". Chuck on a motorbike! Chuck dies to save everyone - JUST LIKE OUR LORD JESUS H CHRIST.

10 beaks.

asids

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on January 20, 2018, 02:33:42 PM
On a Video Game tip, the trailers for the new Tomb Raider are reminding me that I quite enjoyed the old ones. The first is a ridiculous piece of crap, where one character says that you can't go back and change the past however much you want to, immediately followed by a scene where the character goes back in time and changes the past. That it even has time travel at all says a lot about what kind of movie it is, and it's fun. The second I actually found to be a pretty solid Sunday afternoon time-waster romp, in terms of entertainment about on par or not noticeably below a mid-range Bond Movie.

There are a couple of other Videogame movies I've got a soft spot for, but they are more in the "mess I find fascinating" camp then the remit of this thread.

The Doom film with Dwayne Johnson and Karl Urban was a good romp too from what I remember.

Soup

Liar Liar is Jim Carey's best movie and one of the funniest comedies of the 90s

Soup

More recently Jumanji 2 was dope. Jack Black being very funny while not doing the normal Jack Black schtick.

That sort of insight is worth the double post.

Sebastian Cobb

Not seen it for probably over 20 years, and have no desire to rewatch it at present but I reckon Bernie and the Genie could fit into this.

Maybe Comfort and Joy but perhaps that's too good?

neveragain

Quote from: notjosh on January 20, 2018, 03:44:43 PM
While we're talking rom-coms I might as well mention a film that I in no way whatsoever consider to be bad - rather one of the greatest films ever made - You've Got Mail, which I think is generally regarded as mediocre and often used as a byword for 'sappy unconvincing rom-com'. It's not though. it's a brilliant, witty film about how people reconcile their carefully cultivated online personas with their much more flawed and complicated real-world personalities, especially in the context of a relationship. It was also very ahead of the curve in depicting the internet as part of ordinary life rather than some weird scary subculture ruled by hackers.

And it's one of the most realistic films about capitalism ever made, in that it avoids just making capitalism and big corporations the big baddy, but is both quite sad and quite pragmatic about it. Like how Kathleen is able to see the closing of her shop in the context of inevitable social change and her own feelings.
Then there's the brilliant scene where she walks into Fox books for the first time and sees a world that has already moved on from her and her approach to business ("always personal"), but has lost something along the way (the assistant can't tell a customer who wrote the Shoe books, but she can). And later we find that Joe has hired her former employee George to run the children's department and now won't hire anyone "unless they have a PHD in children's literature". I think the film is both very smart in the way it depicts capitalism as surviving by adapting and absorbing, and very poignant in the way it accepts this change while also mourning what has passed.

It's beautifully written as well, with loads of memorable dialogue, and absolutely magical chemistry between Hanks and Ryan - probably the best onscreen romantic pairing since Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. 10/10, would watch again.

Wonderfully put. Totally agree, I was very pleasantly surprised by it (and only watched it as Michael Palin's diary mentioned having his cameo cut from it).

Here's a few I've rewatched many times and have their good points but aren't great, real formulaic tune-in drop-out affairs. Listed by main actor for some reason.
John Ritter/Pam Dawber: Stay Tuned
Jack Nicholson: As Good As It Gets
Mel Gibson: What Women Want (really quite bad)
Tom Hanks: The Terminal
Steve Martin: Father of the Bride(s)
Danny DeVito/Billy Crystal: Throw Mama From The Train
Billy Crystal/Robin Williams: One where they're both gay?
Robin Williams: Jack (and similarly The Bicentennial Man, which is just too long)
Bill Murray: one about the elephant
I dunno, babies: The Rugrats Movie

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 20, 2018, 07:35:41 PM
Not seen it for probably over 20 years, and have no desire to rewatch it at present but I reckon Bernie and the Genie could fit into this.

Maybe Comfort and Joy but perhaps that's too good?
comfort and joy is a fucking masterwork

Sebastian Cobb

I like it, but I thought some people might think it's insipid and twee.

itsfredtitmus

AsparagusTrevor

Mentioned here already, the Resident Evil films, Mortal Kombat and all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies except 5 which is just a load of nothingness.

Also I have a soft spot for Spawn, plus its soundtrack album which is brilliant.

I like all the Jackass movies, the third part in 3D was one of my favourite cinema experiences.

I watched the two most recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies and I didn't understand why they were so critically panned, me and the wife both found them perfectly entertaining, enjoyable nonsense.

I liked the first Transformers movie, the second was an abomination though, and the rest just varying degrees of bum.

I used to like all of Kevin Smith's movies, even stuff like Clerks 2 and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back but I think I've started to grow out of them now.

Spiteface

I really liked Tusk. Not watched any of them in a while, but listen to a lot of his podcasts.

Shit Good Nose

Blues Brothers 2000.  The music is still great, scores points for not going down the obvious road of getting in Jim Belushi, oodles of pathos in the opening scenes when Elwood patiently waits, until Frank Oz gives him the news.

Speaking of Dan Aykroyd, a lot (but not all) of the comedies he was in in the 80s.  Same thing goes for John Candy.

Keeping the Faith.  Seen by most as a fluffy and mediocre Ed Norton vanity project, but fuck me I think it's brilliant and, probably, the best rom-com ever made.  An assured directing debut (and makes me wonder why Norton hasn't directed more), and the cinematography is gorgeous.

Huge fan of 8 Heads In a Duffel Bag as well.  Still remember the time when the most famous scene was the end-of-show clip on Film, and Barry Norman saying something along the lines of "and you're about to see the only worthwhile part of the film, so there's no need to waste your money on it when it reaches the cinema".

Always loved Deuce Bigelow (first one only - second one sucks apart from one very short scene), and that would have fit in here, but it's got quite a big cult following now.  I mention it, though, because its IMDB rating has actually started to drop again - it was 6 for a while, but it's currently on 5.7.

Mr Banlon

Enemy Territory A cheesy 'trapped in the hood after dark' B-movie. Great fun.
Disorganized Crime Slapstick heist caper.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Red Lantern on January 20, 2018, 07:05:00 PM
The Omega Man

I love this film. So many great bits in it. As if Charlton Heston would like Woodstock! He runs a mile in 3 minutes 50! "Neeeeeeevvvvvvvilllllle". "Take him to the little room, for questioning". Chuck on a motorbike! Chuck dies to save everyone - JUST LIKE OUR LORD JESUS H CHRIST.

10 beaks.

One of my favourites for obvious stunt doubles, especially the aforementioned motorbike scenes.

Sebastian Cobb

You know they're struggling for praise when the best endorsement they can find to put on their posters is from Playboy.

Dex Sawash

Disorderlies, The Fat Boys best film

zomgmouse

Quote from: neveragain on January 20, 2018, 07:42:30 PM

Robin Williams: Jack

Definitely in the top 5 of Francis Ford Coppola's filmography.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 20, 2018, 11:48:19 PM
Definitely in the top 5 of Francis Ford Coppola's filmography.

Wooooaaaaaahhhhhm, steady on now... Let's not get too excited, eh.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 20, 2018, 11:55:02 PM
Wooooaaaaaahhhhhm, steady on now... Let's not get too excited, eh.

1. The Conversation
2. Apocalypse Now (Redux)
3. The Godfather
4. Jack
5. The Godfather Part II
, maybe, if it's lucky