Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

what up with that? (oooooohh weeeee) [The Perfect Sketch] [SNL] [#TrumpShutdown]

Started by Barry Admin, January 20, 2018, 09:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: hard rocx and mettals on January 26, 2018, 04:29:22 PM
I just don't think anyone's ever referred to Samuel L. Jackson as 'that other bloke' before.
He alleges that Kenan was supposed to cut him off before he got to the rude word, but didn't (obviously).

Greatest running sketch in SNL history? Mine is possibly Celebrity Jeopardy with Norm Macdonald as Burt Reynolds and Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery, possibly Stefon on Update.

Danger Man

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2018, 05:22:23 PM
I do find these inexplicably amusing. Does anyone have any examples of the sort of show it is parodying?

I wouldn't call it a parody but it's like James Brown on Soul Train meets Space Channel 5.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Rizla on January 29, 2018, 02:48:47 PM
Been binging on The Californians too. "Devvin? Whaharyewdewinhee?"

Yeah, those are always a good laugh. The cast really seem to enjoy them as well, I remember seeing a couple of corpsey ones.

Famous Mortimer

Pseudopath

I know I've posted it before, but Debbie Downer at Disney World will probably always be my favourite SNL corpsing sketch (if only for the guy using Mickey Waffles to wipe the tears from his eyes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE93xON8jk

Pseudopath

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 30, 2018, 11:11:24 AM
Another good corpsey one is this game show supermodel sketch https://youtu.be/IoTv5sjom8k

Oh yes...love that one too. God knows what accent Maya Rudolph was trying to attempt, but it's impossible not to laugh at.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 30, 2018, 10:54:25 AM
I know I've posted it before, but Debbie Downer at Disney World will probably always be my favourite SNL corpsing sketch (if only for the guy using Mickey Waffles to wipe the tears from his eyes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE93xON8jk
"By the way, it's official.........I can't have children!"

Maybe the hardest I ever laughed at any sketch ever was at that line. It's everything about it - the way Fallon looks at her, knowing what's coming up and knowing there's zero chance she'll be able to hold it together; the way she sort of tries to go back to the normal sketch format at the end of the line, which just makes it worse; it's brilliant.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wbJ7QBTKEY&list=PLkSuOjjO96vHXD3oCoAwRGl4KBaxyqfgP

My other favourite Kenan sketch series, "Scared Straight". I don't know why I love it - it's just Kenan and the host using elaborate "you will get raped in prison" jokes, pretending the plots of movies happened to them, and Bill Hader almost always corpsing - but it's great.

madhair60

Just discovered these and really think this needs bumping because we all need this now. I haven't been this happy in months.

dallasman

Good call. I thought almost everyone here hated the show, so it was fun just reading some of the old responses. Honestly, back when they seemed to do these every week, I might take a pee break or fix myself something in the kitchen for a couple of minutes, cause you know the drill. But the song just buries itself in your brain, doesn't it? You hear the line "what up with that" in some other context, there's a little spark, and suddenly you're singing "ooooooohh weeeeee" under your breath and doing a lil shimmy.

C_Larence

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 12, 2018, 11:30:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wbJ7QBTKEY&list=PLkSuOjjO96vHXD3oCoAwRGl4KBaxyqfgP

My other favourite Kenan sketch series, "Scared Straight". I don't know why I love it - it's just Kenan and the host using elaborate "you will get raped in prison" jokes, pretending the plots of movies happened to them, and Bill Hader almost always corpsing - but it's great.

Taylor Swift there, pronouncing close (rhymes with toes) as close (rhymes with glenn). That sketch also suffers from the classic SNL problem of explaining the joke just in case nobody got it. Can't stand it.

QuoteThat didn't happen to you, that was from the hit movie Sound Of Music!
The audience bursts into treats

madhair60

I keep thinking about this and just grinning like a loon. Kenan's little expectant face.

Non Stop Dancer

Utterly baffled at the adoration for these. I'd have thought the consensus here would have been more towards the S4C end of the spectrum.

madhair60

Strong central joke performed with infectious joie de vivre by likeable performers, what's not to like?

Captain Z

Definitely better than the other sketches on the show.

Edit: Thought this was the Freddie Starr's Variety Madhouse thread.

Gulftastic

Quote from: madhair60 on December 02, 2019, 09:03:44 AM
I keep thinking about this and just grinning like a loon. Kenan's little expectant face.

It's the bit when the first guest starts talking and a background drum beat starts. Kenan's look of joyful shock always gets me.

And I cannot hear the name Lindsay Buckingham without thinking 'Aw, Lindsay....'

kalowski

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 02, 2019, 07:23:25 PM
It's the bit when the first guest starts talking and a background drum beat starts. Kenan's look of joyful shock always gets me.
Exactly. It's such a great little gag and I love that they repeat it in every sketch.

Pseudopath

Quote from: jobotic on December 02, 2019, 07:30:46 PM
Yep it's bloody wonderful. How many are there?

9, according to this, plus a reprise as part of the 40th Anniversary Special in 2015 (but I assume that wasn't a full-length sketch).

madhair60

Cuellar

I don't really get on with SNL, but the face Keenan makes when the hi-hat starts just as Morgan Freeman is answering the question is hilarious - scared of how Freeman might react, but excited anyway.

BeardFaceMan

Chalk me up as someone who has never been able to get into SNL either, but these are great. That song is so goddamn catchy.

Povidone

Count me as another convert, so much to love in these. Been binging on SNL sketches all week!

cliggg

Sometimes if I'm feeling down as I was earlier tonight I plug in my hard drive and watch all 9 of these sketches and I no longer feel down. Even though it's basically just the same sketch done every time I still love them all. Kenan, Jason Sudekis and his slow dancing, some of the ridiculous appearances on it (Gerard Butler as White Pete being a particular favourite), Bill Hader as Lindsey Buckingham.
They just have a feel good vibe and a special mention should go to these two parts which always have me grinning like a big dope.

Enzo

I do like the background hints of DeAndre and Lindsay Buckingham being best friends despite the fact that Buckingham is continually bumped even at Christmas and on his birthday.