Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neil Breen

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 21, 2018, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

There's a bit of discussion about him here:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40692.0

But I just watched his most recent movie, "Pass Thru", last night and it's amazing. He manages to get worse, which is impressive in itself. He's definitely deserving of some of the praise going Tommy Wiseau's way, but I get the feeling he's more serious about it and would hate that people think of his stuff as comedy. Or perhaps it's the world's longest, weirdest practical joke.

Any of you lot seen any of his other ones? Stories you wish to share?

Lemming

I'm a huge fan, and at this point I think I prefer him to Wiseau.

My favourite movie of his is Double Down - it's not as immediately hilarious and accessible as the rest (although it's still a laugh-a-minute trainwreck), but there's so much to dig into. I've seen it many times and I still have no clue at all what it's actually about - he brings up the Iraq war, spirituality, mystical healing powers (which he discredits and then later re-affirms), childhood trauma, the theme of lost love, government conspiracies, the global elite starting wars etc. Absolutely indecipherable. All this interspersed with unrelated/semi-related stock footage and long shots of him running through the desert screaming "WHERE ARE YOU?? WHERE ARE YOU??" to nobody.

There's also a wealth of hysterical lines that require multiple viewings before it really hits you how fucking funny they are. "It kills instantly. He'll be dead in five minutes."

Every single one of his movies is mindblowingly good, but my personal ranking is Double Down > Fateful Findings > PASS-THRU > I Am Here.... Now.

Famous Mortimer

I think Fateful Findings is the best, but I wouldn't argue with your rankings. But robo-gorilla-zombie-space-Jesus wouldn't like them.

newbridge

Great synopsis of Double Down by Rich Evans (just ignore Max Landis): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolenE1GCyg

St_Eddie

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 21, 2018, 10:30:10 PM

Bit disrespectful of Breen, to dig up the corpse of Michael Jackson and shove it in front of a camera.

Small Man Big Horse

I watched "I Am Here....Now" after reading about it on 366 Weird Movies, but struggled with it despite normally liking horrendously shit films. Mini review:

This is sees Jesus return to earth and repeatedly moan about what a disappointment humanity is. Which I can't argue with at all. It's competently shot but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it, and it takes far too long to get going and in places is painfully slow (this is a movie which contains a six minute scene where two girls giggle a lot whilst a corrupt politician makes pervy faces), and Breen stumbles through the film looking like the bloated corpse of Richard Gere, if he'd died in the eighties at least.  It's so incompetently made you can't help but laugh at it at times, but even fans of so bad they're good flicks will struggle with this one. The film only deserves a 1/10 rating, but gets 3/10 for the unintentional laughs.

St_Eddie

Whichever Neil Breen film that you watch, there's sure to be several laptops being smashed/having coffee spilled on them.  Could make for a fun (but dangerous) drinking game.

Never even heard of the fella. But surely one to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BfsbZOuTI

magval

Think it's great that God made another Garry Shandling to do us now that the proper one's dead, but with Steven Wright's voice and Jerry Seinfeld's clothes.

All Surrogate

hedgehog90

The poster for the new flick is clearly a nod to this famous shot from Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments (the original 1923 version)... but like, inverted.

Old Nehamkin

Anyone who's a fan of the On Cinema universe should definitely watch Double Down and/or Fateful Findings, as the spirit of Decker just surges through every minute of them and I'm 99% sure they were a direct influence on Tim.

kidsick5000

Quote from: All Surrogate on August 18, 2018, 05:03:29 PM
Red Letter Media review Neil Breen's Pass Thru.

I can see why they have that FBI theory, and while it's so fun to laugh at the ineptitude, you can't help feel that there's going to be a very dark piece of news come out about Mr Breen