Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Ursula K Le Guin

Started by Petey Pate, January 23, 2018, 10:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obituaries/ursula-k-le-guin-acclaimed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

Sad to hear this.  I think I've posted on this forum about The Dispossessed before - one of the best novels that addresses political philosophy issues and manages to do so without getting tedious or at the expense of the story.

An admirable wise women.

Twed

Quote"We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings. Resistance and change often begin in art, and very often in our art, the art of words."

mikeyg27

I would say the FAQ page on her website was surprisingly wonderful, but it shouldn't be that surprising, really.

QuoteQ: Can I email you?

A: Please don't.

garbed_attic

Quote"For we each deserve everything, every luxury that was ever piled in the tombs of dead kings, and we each of us deserve nothing, not a mouthful of bread in hunger. Have we not eaten while another starved? Will you punish us for that? Will you reward us for the virtue of starving while others ate? No man earns punishment, no man earns reward. Free your mind of the idea of deserving, the idea of earning, and you will begin to be able to think."

(Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed, p.159)

RIP

All Surrogate

Oh no.  One of my favourite writers.  The Earthsea books are wonderful, and her science fiction is a treasure.  I really am gutted by this.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: All Surrogate on January 23, 2018, 11:38:44 PM
The Earthsea books are wonderful

A young boy joins a school of wizardry...  Ludicrous.

Pranet

Fuck. Possibly my favourite writer, to the extent I'm going through her books slowly so I don't run out of them too soon. She lived to a good age but she seemed like one of those people who might go on forever.

jobotic

QuoteIf you are thinking of sending me a manuscript, please, would you think about not sending me a manuscript?

Actually the rest of the answer is quite sweet.

All Surrogate

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on January 24, 2018, 01:19:55 AM
A young boy joins a school of wizardry...  Ludicrous.

It does make me despondent and a bit angry that Earthsea got that crappy Sci-Fi Channel adaptation, whilst Potter got the full treatment.  I've read both series, and much prefer Earthsea.  I actually still remember when I was a child and found the Earthsea Trilogy on the shelf at my local library.  It began my appreciation of Le Guin.  I regret not writing to her to say as much.  If anyone proved that science fiction could be capable of artistic greatness, it was her.  Subtle, beautifully written, engaging books and short stories that I'm so glad I found.  Her death is a real loss to literature.

Pranet

Documentary on BBC 4 tomorrow night.