Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monster Hunter World

Started by Mobius, January 25, 2018, 09:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Is anyone going to buy this? I've never played one but as I'm bored of The Division/Destiny, I'm gonna go pick it up in a few hours

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/monster-hunter-world

Pretty fantastic reviews so far.

Moribunderast

I also have never played one of these games but it does look quite fantastic and the reviews are pretty unanimously glowing, even the ones that admit the game has a few flaws. I probably won't get to it yet as I still have a few lengthy games in my PS4 backlog (Dying Light, Yakuza 0) but it's definitely one I'll be looking to pick up. Only stumbling block for me might be the difficulty. I'm not sure how hardcore these games are (I think I've heard 'fairly hardcore') and I usually don't get on with overly difficult games unless they're short. The idea of constantly losing progress in a game that already demands tens of hours has never appealed much to me.

Looking forward to hearing some first-hand reports from people here.

Bhazor

Previous thread here

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,62774.0.html

Monster Hunter Tri was probably the best game I played last year. I'll be getting World on PC and the 6-8 month wait is killing me. So I'm blocking out its existence until then.

Barry Admin

Thursday

Tempted but it does also seem like a huge dedication, although from the sound of things, a lot more welcoming to new players

Junglist

I've bought it but not played it yet as it took four hours to download because PSN is a cunt

Thursday

PSN was down for maintenance earlier wasn't it? Might have made it slower than usual.

Shay Chaise

I'm sure it'll be brilliant but I didn't find Monster Hunter Generations quite as satisfying as I'd hoped. Initially, I found the long fights and traps and paint and legging it across the map really intense and rewarding when I finally took the beast down but it's interesting how little I remember of the fifty plus hours I put into the game. I quickly felt that getting better gear to attempt better monsters was a little bit of a boring gameplay loop, though I get why people find it addictive. I kind of wanted a narrative hook, as sacrilegious as that may be to MonHun guys, or just some reason to care about the world or its inhabitants. I don't find all this sharing of avatars on Twitter even slightly interesting. This one will probably have better co-op, which was a really fun aspect of the game, but I don't have the regular slots to be able to get involved with something like that. It's far below the Souls games, for me, and I'd much prefer to put my commitment kinda time into SFV and ARMS so I think I'll be giving this a miss.

mobias

I played the beta and didn't think much of it. Seems to be highly popular amongst various people I know though so clearly I didn't give it enough. I've never played any of the other ones. 

Shay Chaise

It's something which doesn't really work in a beta without the bigger picture of crafting and grinding for monster parts to make new gear - in my opinion, anyway. It seems to be going down really well with a lot of fans and noobs but I've got enough I'm enjoying right now and trying to get out of the day one hype mindset.

Shay Chaise

That said...

I've been hammering this all afternoon. It's the most refined and beautiful and fun Monster Hunter game I've played. Gone are the control scheme frustrations, without changing much at all. Gone are the map frustrations, and they're not just minus the loading screens, they're dense and vertical and full of hidden nooks and routes and stuff. It's a gorgeous looking game, too.

Anyone else taking the plunge? This will be my main game, with SFV and ARMS for arranged nights. 

Thursday

I thought we could resist day one hype together you fucking traitor.

Bhazor

I've got to put up with this shit for six months. I could two thirds gestate a baby in that time.

I'm trying to put myself off it by reading low star user reviews on metacritic but it isn't working.

salamans
Jan 27, 2018
0/10
this game sucks only playing casuals y noobs no have dificulted is more hard the mother of capcom

Mobius

I'm really enjoying this, reminds me of the good old days of JRPGs.

Graphics are lovely, environments are really fun to explore and battling huge dinosaur things is ace. Lots to grind, loads to loot.

Would probably be even cooler with a headset and some mates!

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Thursday on January 28, 2018, 05:56:38 PM
I thought we could resist day one hype together you fucking traitor.

I'm really sorry. I did intend to hold off but I just read too many good things. It's the best Monster Hunter of the little I've played and a minor masterpiece. It does almost nothing new and if you never liked the series I doubt it would convert many but for me, who enjoyed what I'd played with considerable reservations, they've twatted it out the park. I'll probably have a look at Sea of Thieves in a couple of months but this will keep me going for a long time, I can feel it. I've probably put in ten hours or so over the last couple of days, which is a bit mad considering how busy I've been too.

madhair60

I've got enough credit to nab this at CEX so I think I will. I've always wanted to get into these games but found the barrier to entry very high. Seems like this one mitigates that without sacrificing its mechanical depth.

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 29, 2018, 09:43:49 PM
I'm really sorry. I did intend to hold off but I just read too many good things. It's the best Monster Hunter of the little I've played and a minor masterpiece. It does almost nothing new and if you never liked the series I doubt it would convert many but for me, who enjoyed what I'd played with considerable reservations, they've twatted it out the park. I'll probably have a look at Sea of Thieves in a couple of months but this will keep me going for a long time, I can feel it. I've probably put in ten hours or so over the last couple of days, which is a bit mad considering how busy I've been too.

Haha it's fine, I'll probably get it soon anyway as it was one I'd been thinking about, but I've got a few other things I want to clear out the way first, and I'm trying to spend slightly less time playing games at the moment as I've sort of been focusing on games to the exclusion of other culture in the last couple of years really.

Swoz_MK

Bought it last night and not even through the tutorial (thanks to how in depth character creation is and how indecisive I am when it comes to picking a weapon) but fuck me this is a great looking game.

Barry Admin

This has taken over my life. Just running, climbing and jumping through the jungles is a thrill in itself.

That fucking Anjanath though. Been battling him for days now, even taken his tail a few times, but still can't kill the bastard. Haven't got at all frustrated though, just having an absolute blast.

Mobius

It's dead good isn't it

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 01, 2018, 01:57:50 PM
That fucking Anjanath though. Been battling him for days now

A lot of people are struggling with him. I inexplicably managed to kill him first time, but the next quest has me stumped so far.

I'm just enjoying doing SOS Flares with strangers and looting stuff. Trying to farm for materials to craft fire resistant gear currently.

BeardFaceMan

Explain this game to someone who has never played any of these Monster Hunter games, or indeed wasn't aware of the series at all before this release. Is it loads of boss-style battles and loot hunting?

Mobius

Yeah, pretty much.

You take on contracts to defeat or capture massive beasts in an open world, and can group up with others. Lots of looting and crafting and exploration.

It feels like an old JRPG, if you've ever done the Monster Hunts in a Final Fantasy game it's a bit like that.

The monsters are like dinosaur things and have different parts you can attack, they also run away, get trapped in the environment, limp around, fall asleep etc.

There's loads of flora and fauna to explore and kill, and all the locations look beautiful.

It's a real fun game, and you can tell a lot of love went into making it.

Barry Admin

Still can't kill him. Got so close, so close. Think I need to change weapons again, I've been stuck on shield and sword for ages as it's the only weapon I've get an element for.

Fuck sake though. Just want to open a new area and get a new gadget.

Mobius

I'm Sword & Shield too. Do you find that, even if you have targeted the enemy with L3 you'll often just swing your sword in the wrong direction? I find almost half my hits and combos just whiff the air.

I think I'm going to try something with more range.

Shay Chaise

Lock-on isn't Dark Souls lock-on,  it locks the camera, not the character. You still have to manoeuvre yourself. This makes it possible to aim for certain body parts, basically, and in multiplayer you can attack from different angles without twatting your mate (in theory) or just all circle strafing round the creature. Something to get used to, yeah.

Barry Admin

One-shot by a fireball right after I'd just healed up and had a well done steak. Last life too. Makes a change from him leaping 20 foot just to squash me.

Seem to have pretty good gear for this stage of the game too. Gotta change the weapon, shield and sword just isn't getting this cunt done.

Probably fought him like 15 or 20 times now, no joke. Sometimes taking the whole 50 minutes.

Shay Chaise

Barroth Admin

I've switched from Greatsword to Hammer and I really like the moveset, especially pummelling circle/B to get that exponential bash. Ives only put about eight hours in because it's been a really busy week but looking forward to getting a bad back today.

Barry Admin

Hammer is great fun!

Someone I barely know popped into my Xbox party last night, and was gushing like crazy about MHW. He's looking for someone to play with, and it nearly got spoilery. Anyway he's on NG+ already so I need to avoid him for a bit. My controller is knackered and needs returned, but I figured I needed to get past the Anjanath block, and knuckle down to the real game.

I was really enjoying our running battle. I had certain rules, like I didn't want to go mad with traps and potions etc, as I barely understand them anyway. I wanted to get him with sword and shield, and I definitely wanted his tail. Under no circumstances was I ever going to look up ways to cheese him.

I knew I had to use a few strength potions, though, so grabbed 3 and set off.

And I nailed that fucking piece of shit first go, albeit on my last faint. I was destroying him from the off, but it just turned into this epic battle - with someone else getting involved at one point. We ran seemingly all round most of the map, and I think I was close to the ten minute warning.

Got his tail, and watched in joy as he started hobbling away from me trying to escape. I kept after him and continued unloading on those hind legs, until finally he died, yaaaasssss!

Finally onto the game proper. Too tired now, taking a nap, then I'll get my controller fixed and explore some much-needed new area.

This game feels proper special. Just traversing the forest is a joy. I expected this game to be good, but yeah, something special.

Shay Chaise

It's got that 'story' quality to it, like PUBG, whereby the basic gameplay loop is a series of big moments that you want to talk about and which stick in the memory. I'm not too far in, probably fifteen hours now, but I've been motoring through the main story with only a bit of farming so far. I've killed pretty much everything I've come across with that hammer, almost all solo, and I'm starting to get the feel of the other items like Flash Pod and Barrel Bombs and stuff, which do make a big difference in creating opportunities for massive damage and breaking specific parts. They've put so much work into the animations for the various monsters, too, some of them look absolutely phenomenal, fantastical but somehow lifelike. There's one called Paoluma which looks like it's straight out of Planet Earth or something.

BeardFaceMan

You can play this solo ok then, you don't need to be in parties or groups to play it? Obviously it would play better if you were in a group but its a single player game you can play co-op rather than a multiplayer game? Do I need to jump on this early or will it not matter if I wait for it to go on sale?