Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mom and Dad (2018, from one of the directors of Crank 1 & 2)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 26, 2018, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is the latest from Brian Taylor, one of the directors of Crank and Crank 2 (and SyFy's current adaptation of Grant Morrison's graphic novel Happy!, which might explain why Morrison has a small cameo in the film). In it Nicholas Cage and Selma Blair are bland parents of two rubbish children until some sort of sonic virus makes all parents want to kill their biological offspring. It's a tight film with twenty minutes of scene setting and then an hour of carnage, and it contains at least one really fucking horrible part where a newborn child is attacked whilst still attached to it's mother, and so is worth watching that reason alone. On the down side there's nothing shockingly new here, and Cage is surprisingly subdued (at least compared to his more extreme performances) but Selma Blair does a great job as the murderous mother and overall it's a fun enough ride.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 26, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
and it contains at least one really fucking horrible part where a newborn child is attacked whilst still attached to it's mother

That won't survive the BBFC's scissors these days.

I haven't seen it but I read the plot and it sounds a lot like The Signal (2008). Is it basically just that again?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 26, 2018, 05:52:01 PM
I haven't seen it but I read the plot and it sounds a lot like The Signal (2008). Is it basically just that again?

I've not seen The Signal but reading up on it suggests they have similarities but are probably just about different enough to be worth watching.

mothman

I was about to say, see also: Cell - but it looks like nobody actually saw it. Absolute critical and commercial failure.

Bad Ambassador