Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:02:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help with making a website

Started by BeardFaceMan, January 26, 2018, 08:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 10, 2018, 05:23:44 PMETA I'm having a look at some of these online webpage builders, they all look and function pretty much the same and are absolute dogshit. Like I said, the last time I fucked around with this was on Dreamweaver, are there any good webpage building programs out there, can't get on with these online ones at all, some of them won't even let you use a blank page as a template.

I've recently dabbled with BlueGriffon, a WYSIWYG editor which is based on Gecko (Firefox's rendering engine). The free version seems pretty well-featured.

Also been meaning to dabble with Netlify, which seems to allow you to drag & drop your static website and have it go live straight away.

Twed

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 10, 2018, 05:23:44 PM
Is there any way I can replace the lines of text with links to images so every time you press the button you get a different random image?
http://167.99.204.115:8000/

View source for code

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: the on September 11, 2018, 12:21:07 AM
I've recently dabbled with BlueGriffon, a WYSIWYG editor which is based on Gecko (Firefox's rendering engine). The free version seems pretty well-featured.

Also been meaning to dabble with Netlify, which seems to allow you to drag & drop your static website and have it go live straight away.

I'll have a look at those, cheers. My main problem with the online ones I've tried so far is not being able to start with a blank page, you have to start with a template that already has the page layout, I want to do the layout myself, especially as there's not a whole lot to lay out. These online builders look good for doing more complex or flashy sites with lots of pages but I just want one or 2 blank pages with a bit of text and an image, oddly it seems harder to do basic stuff.

Quote from: Twed on September 11, 2018, 12:27:52 AM
http://167.99.204.115:8000/

View source for code

That's perfect mate, ta muchly. I had a quick google and I was using an img tag to try and get the pics to appear and it wouldn't work.

the

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 11, 2018, 04:52:03 AMMy main problem with the online ones I've tried so far is not being able to start with a blank page, you have to start with a template that already has the page layout, I want to do the layout myself, especially as there's not a whole lot to lay out. These online builders look good for doing more complex or flashy sites with lots of pages but I just want one or 2 blank pages with a bit of text and an image, oddly it seems harder to do basic stuff.

Yeah, I think online editors are for people who start cupcake businesses. I can only comprehend making web pages the static way too, from a clean sheet. (Nb. I'm a total amateur.) Then at least you're in control of what's going on.

I recently started dabbling with it because I'm attracted to the interesting features of HTML5 and CSS3. You can do some quite intricate things with simple code.

Then, after spending ages trying to design a simple bank of buttons, I remembered I'm shit at it.

I do kind of wish websites were more like they used to be, compact little hobby projects full of interesting titbits. Ceefax for the masses.

And I've been brewing a thread idea for a while about web and UI design being shit now thanks to phones and tablets, maybe I'll start that one... in another couple of years.

Zetetic

the, you might be interested in Olia Lialina's stuff on changing expectations of web design and how that interacts with access to creativity by the masses. (Or you might think it's load of overwritten guff.)