Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People or "things" which, implausibly, you or your mate(s) have no knowledge of

Started by gazzyk1ns, February 03, 2004, 01:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

They weren't a mate, (and when I've finished this sentence you'll find out why) but I once spoke to someone my age who had no idea who Blur were.

Matthias

I once had a girlfriend who didn't know how to calculate spectrum-averaged microscopic cross-sections for thermal neutrons, access computerized data files of 0.0253eV cross-sections as well as of Maxwellian averaged cross-sections, of fission spectrum averaged cross-sections and of resonance integrals. The stupid bitch!

Purple Tentacle

My nan to this day refers to Shakin' Stevens as "Sliding Elvis".

Bless.

steevbishop

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Oh, and a guy, also at college, who, no matter how hard I tried to explain, couldn't understand why "Cheap at half the price" is an incorrect phrase.

For the love of tables, every time I hear that phrase (still on TV from time to time) I'm stunned at the stupidity of the person who said it. The first time I heard it, it immediately didn't make sense, and it doesn't scan now either. These are the same people that say pacific instead of specific, but this is ever so slightly off topic. Although I've just had an idea for a new thread that kinda spins off this one...

See you in a minute.

Kingboy_D

Quote from: "hencole"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"This is very similar to an old thread I think - my memory seems to recall Kingboy saying that a friend had never heard of the cold war?

It was my work colleague. He had not heard of communism either. He is from Cornwall.

An ex of mine had never heard of the Daleks which is probably worse.

Yeah, and one of my colleagues who hadn't heard of the Holocaust, as well as another who thought the movie Pearl Harbour was make believe. My mate Davey also amazed his work colleagues by explaining the wonders of mixing primary colours to get secondary colours.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "r smelly"

turns out he thought several ment 7 of something.

I used to think this too. And that, since ''a couple'' was 2, ''a few'' meant 3. I was quite young at the time though.

A friend of mine used to think that the store H and M was a kinky sex shop.

zozman

[/quote]

I used to think this too. And that, since ''a couple'' was 2, ''a few'' meant 3. I was quite young at the time though.

[/quote]

A couple does mean two doesn't it?  At the risk of large scale derision.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Kingboy_D"My mate Davey also amazed his work colleagues by explaining the wonders of mixing primary colours to get secondary colours.
Eh?  My primary school career seemed to consist of doing little else...

Alberon

My mate Tony said yesterday that he didn't know that the 45 minute claim in the Iraq dossier meant short-range battlefield WMDs and not long-range ones.

My, how we laughed.

My name's Ben Elton. Goodnight!

Mister Six

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Oh, and a guy, also at college, who, no matter how hard I tried to explain, couldn't understand why "Cheap at half the price" is an incorrect phrase.

But... 'ang on a minute, if something is being sold at half its original value, then - assuming it wasn't overpriced before  - surely it is cheap, when compared to other, identical products of a similar original price?

zozman

Quote from: "Mister Six"

But... 'ang on a minute, if something is being sold at half its original value, then - assuming it wasn't overpriced before  - surely it is cheap, when compared to other, identical products of a similar original price?

Yeah, that's the point.  Most things are cheap at half the price (unless you shop in fucking Curry's).  What they're trying to say is "cheap at twice the price" in order to emphasise how cheap the thing is.  I think.

Mister Six

zozman

What this bloke's trying to do is emphasise how cheap something that he's bought is.  Now if he says it's cheap at half the price, that doesn't work cos obviously it would be cheap at half the price.  What he's trying to say is that it's that cheap - it'd even be cheap if you paid double.  That's why it should be "cheap at twice the price".  It's a shit saying anyway, and should really be "cheap at the price at which I bought it, which is pretty cheap when you think about it".

Hmmm, I'm confused now too.

.....I knew a girl once who thought that Global Warming was started by the end of the Cold War.

Maureen Tucker

xx

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Kingboy_D"My mate Davey also amazed his work colleagues by explaining the wonders of mixing primary colours to get secondary colours.
Eh?  My primary school career seemed to consist of doing little else...

I did A-level art with a girl who had to ask how to make orange.

Matthias

Quote from: "zozman"What this bloke's trying to do is emphasise how cheap something that he's bought is.  Now if he says it's cheap at half the price, that doesn't work cos obviously it would be cheap at half the price.  What he's trying to say is that it's that cheap - it'd even be cheap if you paid double.  That's why it should be "cheap at twice the price".  It's a shit saying anyway, and should really be "cheap at the price at which I bought it, which is pretty cheap when you think about it".

Hmmm, I'm confused now too.

The phrase suggests that the product is being sold for half of it's original price.

It's cheap (as it is being sold) at half the price (of it's original R.R.P.)

Purple Tentacle

zozman

Crikey - I wish I'd never gotten into this.  This doesn't refer to half price stuff, people say it when they describe how cheap something is (or at least that's how I've always understood it).  That's why the saying is wrong, as I said previously.  

Puppies are nice aren't they (notice how I sneakily changed the subject?)

Purple Tentacle

Say I tried to sell a broken jigsaw puzzle for £100. It would still not be cheap at half the price, it would still be very very expensive.

So maybe by saying "It's cheap at half the price", it's referring to things that are reasonably priced, even if priced up to double their original price.

edit: I don't like puppies, too many turds.

Matthias

If someone offers you a Manchester Tart at  £1.20, claiming that it is 'cheap at half the price', simply reply, "well, I'm rather fond of a bargain, so I'll take you up on your offer and give you 60p for it."

All that pastry, coconut, a cherry and lashings and lashings of creamy custard goodness could be yours for less than a quid.

MonkeyDrummer

Mister Six

Right, so it's not an incorrect phrase. Indeed, it's correct to the point of stating the bleedin' obvious.

Frinky

He's obviously a s*****c, since the phrase used to be (and is, in the south at least, maybe the IQ drops the further north you go joke, keep your pants on), "cheap at twice the price."

I do hope the rapture comes soon, becuase humanity is too fucking stupid to survive.

Mister Six

Is that the sort of comment that got you kicked out of Religious Education?

Mediocre Rich

Quote from: "Frinky"He's obviously a s*****c, since the phrase used to be (and is, in the south at least, maybe the IQ drops the further north you go joke, keep your pants on), "cheap at twice the price."

Its funny how these things happen.

The phrase "Have your cake and eat it" always seemed odd to me.

Damn right I'm going to eat the cake.  It's my fucking cake why shouldn't I eat it?  I don't think eating a cake that you have is necessarily greedy. What do you want me to do with it? Stick it on the mantelpiece? The younger Rich would silently fume when chastised with the remark by various teachers and/or Aunties.

However it transpires that the original phrase was "Eat your cake and have it", which makes a lot more sense.  Unfortunately it has been mangled over the years no doubt by the self same teachers and Aunties into it's current wrong state.  So whose laughing now? Hmmm?  No one reading this post that's for sure.

I'll get my coat.

Mister Six

"Have you cake and eat it" is a much more pleasant-sounding phrase though.

Some Americans say "I could care less", which is a nonsensical (or possibly just kinder) version of the phrase "I coudln't care less".

Frinky

Quote from: "Mister Six"Is that the sort of comment that got you kicked out of Religious Education?

Frequently.

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"However it transpires that the original phrase was "Eat your cake and have it", which makes a lot more sense.  Unfortunately it has been mangled over the years no doubt by the self same teachers and Aunties into it's current wrong state.  So whose laughing now? Hmmm?  No one reading this post that's for sure.

Aha... you see, I've always known what it meant (I must have asked years back what it meant and fogotten) but it's always struck me as a stupid way of saying it. I never realised that it'd changed over  the years. Thanks.

Can someone explain "Waste not, want not" to me? Am I being stupid? I take it means "you will not want" rather than "you don't want xxx"? Is that right?

Frinky

Quote from: "Mister Six"Some Americans say "I could care less", which is a nonsensical (or possibly just kinder) version of the phrase "I coudln't care less".

Yeah, I see that all the time. That I don't get either, becuase they always use it in the "couldn't" context, but are actually saying the complete opposite.

Mister Six

Presumably, "If you do not waste things then you will not want for them in the future, since your cupboards will be full of mouldy bread and half-eaten hams."