Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shithouse! It's rugby league 2018!

Started by doppelkorn, January 30, 2018, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: mikeyg27 on September 17, 2018, 01:35:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it's only nationalistic bias that makes me like a lot of Souths' players.

I like to think Russell Crowe gives them the Gladiator speech before every match.

doppelkorn

I support Parramatta for a number of stupid reasons. My sister and her BF went to watch a couple of NRL games last season and she said it was really cool. More of a chilled family night out than watching a game over here. You have this big grass bank where kids just muck around. Can't remember what ground that was now.

Gulftastic

Quote from: mikeyg27 on September 17, 2018, 01:35:29 PM
There's no particularly likeable team left, though. I've spoken about my dislike of pretty much everyone on Crounlla before, but Melbourne are a bunch of moany twats too. The Roosters are, well, the Roosters and I'm pretty sure it's only nationalistic bias that makes me like a lot of Souths' players.

I liked Cronulla, because ET played for them, and I had a bit of a crush on him when he played for Leeds. So graceful.

Gulftastic

Such a shame that the game calmed down today. I don't want to see all out brawls, but early on it was threatening to rival the Saints/Leeds play off game in 2007. We lost that one, 10-8, but it was the hardest game I've ever watched.

Two weeks later we battered them in the Grand Final, and myself and lot of other Leeds fans credit the tough game a fortnight earlier for helping make that happen.

Deanjam

Gulftastic

Get him some proper help. He's self destructing.

Gulftastic

Perfect snapshot of this complete shitshow of a season. I can't wait for certain players to fuck off and an actual coach to take over.

Gulftastic

Up yours, Billy Slater! You got exactly what you deserved.

mikeyg27

I enjoyed Cameron Smith really struggling to be civil more.

First half by the Roosters was one of the best displays of controlled defensive aggression I have ever seen. It completely rattled the Storm in a way you just don't expect. At one point there was some crazy stat about the Roosters gaining more than twice the amount of metres per set than the Storm. If it wasn't for a bizarre pass by an otherwise exemplary Keary they would've kept the Rabbitohs and the Storm tryless in the last two games of the season

doppelkorn

Ratchford man of Goldthorpe 2018. Where's his medal?! Oh yeah, it's made of solid gold and he gets 2 grand as well.

doppelkorn

Anyone listen to Whippets and Flat Caps. John Wilkin is very slowly having an existential breakdown. He openly dislikes rugby league. It's a really interesting listen.

doppelkorn

mikeyg27

First away team to win a semi-final in the Super 8s era, fact fans!

(from a tiny sample size of 7 games, but still)

doppelkorn

I'm buzzin'! Robbie Hunter Paul is much better on the radio than on TV.

Cas, London, Workington to win theirs, IMO.

Schrodingers Cat

If Cas do win tomorrow (and here's hoping) the final will be an interesting battle to see who chokes the most.

I'd predict the lowest scoring, highest overall error count in a final ever in that eventuality. Sadly, I think we'll lose to Wigan tomorrow.

mikeyg27

The finishing on those two tries by Tom Lineham was pretty elite. The second one will get all the headlines 'cos it won the game and involved dodging a few (terrible attempts) at tackles, but the dive for the corner in the first one was perfectly timed - dive any earlier and he probably doesn't have the momentum to carry him over the line, and dive any later and his body position is a much easier target for Barba to bundle into touch. Good work, Tom.

Want Cas to win tonight, totally expect Wigan to. And I would be sooooo delighted if the Broncos won in Toronto but there's little to no chance of that.

Schrodingers Cat

If it helps, I'm a Cas fan (not a neutral).

But I'd still want Wigan to lose anyway

mikeyg27

Quote from: Deanjam on October 05, 2018, 02:22:20 PM
Bloody swines!

You can cheer on Toronto and then we're even. You'll be far more likely to get your way too.

Also, the thought of a Cas-Wire final, with the weight of history dragging down both sides, is quite appealing to the sadist in me. SO MANY AGONIZED CROWD SHOTS TO BE HAD!

Schrodingers Cat

Not looking good for Corbyn Cas this...

Need a 2nd half like the last time we were here.

mikeyg27

Daryl Powell's demeanor in big games is very much Disappointed Dad.

Schrodingers Cat

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good teams to bottle it on the night...

doppelkorn

That's Zak Hardaker holding the giant TOMKINSFACE

Gulftastic

Luke Gale chokes again in a big game. Getting to be a regular thing.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 06, 2018, 12:18:08 AM
Luke Gale chokes again in a big game. Getting to be a regular thing.

I think I've only seen him play well in 1 - the Saints semi last year. But he's not the only one: pretty much everyone seems to choke. It was the only thing Fev fans warned us about with Powell was his poor record in finals.
However, I'd much rather be losing finals and semis with Powell than scraping SL survival with previous coaches.
I do worry that we aren't going to address some of the weaknesses in the squad over the off season and get left behind a bit when other teams do.

doppelkorn

Wonder what happened to Garry Lo *cough*

doppelkorn

About 13 months ago I was with my sister and her boyfriend watching Wire play London in the middle 8s. He introduced me to someone as "my brother-in-law". A week later they had split up. Not sure where I'm going with this one other than to say nothing stands still.

mikeyg27

SEE YOU ALL IN SUPER LEAGUE NEXT YEAR DICKHEADS

BlodwynPig

Was rooting for Toulouse and Toronto to go up, but fuck this Broncos shite.