Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2018

Started by CaledonianGonzo, February 01, 2018, 09:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

First batches of shows were announced this week / go on sale today

Pleasance / EICC
Reginald D Hunter
Showstopper!
Daniel Sloss
Jimeoin
Colin Cloud
Pete Firman

Underbelly
Nina Conti
Foil Arms and Hog

Not much of note there, but worth noting that Gadd is previewing his Monkey See, Monkey Do follow up in Glasgow and Edinburgh next month, so it's safe to assume that will be along in August.

CaledonianGonzo

Assembly
Andrew Maxwell
David O'Doherty

DrGreggles

I'll definitely be having some of that!

Mr Swallow The Musical was superb, and Houdini was bloody good too.

buntyman

Thanks for the tips. Gone for a couple of the Friday night previews

CaledonianGonzo

Laura Davis mentions on her blog that she's coming back again this year to do this:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2015/04/07/22195/laura_davis%3A_ghost_machine

zomgmouse

I'm almost definitely coming to Edinburgh this year but not as a performer (unless I can get spots in lineups or something), just to watch and maybe flyer. But it will be nice to meet with as many of you as possible!

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 01, 2018, 12:29:27 PM
Laura Davis mentions on her blog that she's coming back again this year to do this:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2015/04/07/22195/laura_davis%3A_ghost_machine

This was my favourite show in the Melbourne International Comedy Festival that year. She's redoing it here this year as well.

CaledonianGonzo

Usual advice to get your accommodation sorted asap. It'll be the biggest expense and hassle.

CaledonianGonzo

More shows went onesale on Thursday, most notably: Adam Riches, Elf Lyons, Mark Thomas, Kiri Pritchard McLean, Jamali Maddix and The Elvis Dead (again).

Plus the first ever run by The Raymond and Mr Timpkins Revue...

Timothy

And Rhod Gilbert in the Gilded Balloon. Not on sale at Edfringe.com but on Gilded Balloon.

billyandthecloneasaurus

booked airbnb and got 6 of us coming up for a week, well excited

zomgmouse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 02, 2018, 10:38:25 AM
Usual advice to get your accommodation sorted asap. It'll be the biggest expense and hassle.

Do you recommend just booking a room somewhere or trying to arrange a group to book a place with? I'll be staying the whole month by the looks of it.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 24, 2018, 08:10:27 AM
Elf Lyons
I saw her Swan show when I popped over to Adelaide for a weekend to see shows and it was the best comedy thing I saw that trip and possibly this year. I will definitely go see her new show.

Blinder Data

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 26, 2018, 06:29:44 AM
Do you recommend just booking a room somewhere or trying to arrange a group to book a place with? I'll be staying the whole month by the looks of it.

Doing it as part of a group would likely work out cheaper, but I would say the most pressing matter for you is time. Start looking now and aim to get it confirmed ASAP, especially if you want to be there for the whole month. It's very expensive anyway, the longer you leave it the pricier it'll get.

Timothy

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on March 24, 2018, 04:18:04 PM
booked airbnb and got 6 of us coming up for a week, well excited

Try and keep a back up. Our Airbnb host decided to cancel our accommodation four days before the Fringe a few years ago.

DrGreggles

I booked 2 places up on booking.com a few months ago, both with free cancellation and no prepayment.
Good to have a backup, and there's always a chance that someone else will want the other one.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 26, 2018, 01:46:45 PM
Doing it as part of a group would likely work out cheaper, but I would say the most pressing matter for you is time. Start looking now and aim to get it confirmed ASAP, especially if you want to be there for the whole month. It's very expensive anyway, the longer you leave it the pricier it'll get.
ASAP is tricky as the comedy festival is just kicking off in Melbourne and everyone interested (including me) is likely caught up in their own shows and whatnot. But that is good advice, thank you!

CaledonianGonzo

DrGreggles

CaledonianGonzo

Oofters. £23 a pop for Gruff.

CaledonianGonzo

Janeane Garofalo also playing, for those thay haven't seen her before.

JCR

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 19, 2018, 01:56:22 PM
Janeane Garofalo also playing, for those thay haven't seen her before.

She's okay, but a lot of it is Bill Hicks type material toned down a little. Complained she can't get decent food in Edinburgh, not exactly endearing her to the crowd.

A Joke is back, though it's in a worse room than last year.

DrGreggles

Loads of time clashes again - as usual.
If I was resuming my stand-up 'career' (and not fucking shit), I'd go for a slot between 5pm and 7pm. Seems like there's a relative lack of competition.

DrGreggles

Timothy

Booked Rhod Gilbert and Limmy.

CaledonianGonzo

Seymour Mace's show title was my first laugh of the Fringe.

zomgmouse

Natalie Palamides' show Nate is going to be incredible I think. I saw Laid in Melbourne and I think it was my favourite thing in the festival by a mile. And then I saw her do a bit from Nate in one of the late-night variety line-up nights and it blew everyone including me away. The full show might just get something big.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 20, 2018, 10:54:46 AM
Seymour Mace's show title was my first laugh of the Fringe.

I'm so sad he cancelled this show in Melbourne. Was really looking forward to it. Gonna have to see it in Edinburgh I guess!

P.S. Is anyone here going for the full month who might like to split accommodation?

zomgmouse

Update re accommodation: I've booked a place for the month and if anyone wants to take a room let me know.

DrGreggles

I wasn't sure which week I was going up, so I made 2 reservations.
Now I'm definitely there for the 3rd week, my accommodation for 6th-10th Aug is available at December 2017 prices!
If anyone's interested in a single room on the Royal Mile for those dates, let me know before I cancel (which won't be for a while yet).