Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,345
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2018

Started by CaledonianGonzo, February 01, 2018, 09:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMJ

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 06, 2018, 02:12:03 PM
Depends on how much booze you want to wade through. I feel naked even walking into a show without a pint in each hand
Neither my friend or I drink, so alcohol isn't an issue. I do, however, get through water and apple juice like it's oxygen. The Tesco Park tip is duly noted, but I also meant things like eating out, donating to street performers, and maybe picking up a rogue ticket or two on the day. I'm taking 2-300 for the four nights but don't want to end up with less money than needed, as has happened on every holiday I've ever had.

Quote from: WestHill on July 07, 2018, 07:51:12 AM
If, like me, your knowledge of 60s/70s EU related politics is sketchy, it's worth brushing up before Hodgson's show to get the full benefit. I'm seeing a full preview on Tues, having seen him do sets on two mixed bills and I've been doing a bit of reading because some of the material's been over my head. Maybe I'm just a dumb dumb!

Haven't seen him do a shorter set so don't know what that was like but the preview of the show I saw last week did all the necessary explanations as part of the material itself imo

hummingofevil

Quote from: TMJ on July 07, 2018, 01:38:07 PM
Neither my friend or I drink, so alcohol isn't an issue. I do, however, get through water and apple juice like it's oxygen. The Tesco Park tip is duly noted, but I also meant things like eating out, donating to street performers, and maybe picking up a rogue ticket or two on the day. I'm taking 2-300 for the four nights but don't want to end up with less money than needed, as has happened on every holiday I've ever had.

You can take bottles of water and juice into every venue as far as I can remember and no gig-style liquids rules.

There are plenty of cheaper places to eat out around Nicholson square (Mosque Kitchen for curry, Palmyra Pizza for wraps and kebabs) but you also get all the usual pop up vans spread around selling burgers, crepes etc. I'm sure others on here can recommend proper restaurants but I reckon you should be fine on your budget if you don't go crazy.

I don't think I've ever given a penny to street performers. I would if I stopped and actually watched them (and you got plenty to see if that your thing) but outside of a bit of the Royal Mike it's easily avoided.

As for extra shows balance between 241s as suggested above (there is also an App that you can use so you don't have to walk to Half-Price Hut and give Free Fringe a go. In recent years it seems more common for performers to ask for the price of a normal ticket but I have normally gone with £5 I'll give regardless and £10 if it's good. Some acts do deals where they'll throw in a poster or book or cd or something  if you give a tenner and if I'm in doubt that normally convinces me to hand over a bit more.

DrGreggles

Looks like Kitson has fucked the ticket site again.

Timothy

Yeah and Edfringe isnt updated

TMJ

Ed Fringe updated. Just got our tickets.

CaledonianGonzo

Yup. Edfringe website is working.
Not the app.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

BTW, remember the weird timings listed on the EdFringe site.
(For anyone who hasn't had to deal with this before).
For example, 00:00 on Tuesday is one minute after 23:59 on Tuesday night.

hummingofevil

Got mine. Both sites working. One already sold out.

gotmilk

Damn, the 16th sold out as I was booking :(

DrGreggles

I might have a spare pair of tickets for Kitson on either the 21st or 22nd (me and my mate both bought some on different days and now we need to decide which to go to).
I'll know nearer the time.

CaledonianGonzo

I too may have spares for the first night.

bobloblaw

gah, most people I want to see seem to have daytime shows which is no use to me

recommend-me-do some unmissable-looking evening sets, preferably female, preferably silly rather than confrontational

thankgyaw

Malcy

I'm still completely unorganised for this and still in the process of getting my new gaff sorted so haemorrhaging money.

Surprised that the one show I'm coming for first and foremost still hasn't sold out. Fills me hope that I'll make it though. That and the £3.75 bus that is 3x cheaper than the train. And faster!

Is there any kind of CaB meet up in the works?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: bobloblaw on July 10, 2018, 03:19:32 PM
recommend-me-do some unmissable-looking evening sets, preferably female, preferably silly rather than confrontational

Rose Matafeo, Lucy Pearman, Elf Lyons, Natalie Palamides

Norris and Parker might be worth a punt - others found more to like than I did in their show two years back.

CaledonianGonzo

Albeit N. Palamides may be confrontational in terms of audience participation.

CaledonianGonzo

And last year Lucy Pearman rode a punter round the room like a horse.

CaledonianGonzo

Whereas Elf Lyons ended up trouserless covered in fake blood.

So I dunno if these count as confrontational or not.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Me and some pals are up in E-town from 5th - 11th WHAT SHOULD WE SEE??

"nothing before 2pm" sez my mate

CaledonianGonzo

Like the cuckoo heralding the arrival of spring, the first Big Grey Ponytail of the season has been spotted in the wild, his reassuring presence welcoming in the new Fringe Season and signalling good luck to all.

Z

I see Kieron Hodgson still has tickets for a pretty cheap WIP show in London on Tuesday if anyone's interested. https://www.tickettext.co.uk/the-comedy-grotto/odgson-keals-previews-24072018/?utm_source=D5117F6

If anyone sees any other upcoming test shows in London that seem interesting, I'd love to hear them!

CaledonianGonzo

Anyone bought tickets for the Monkey Barrel only for them to have vanished out of the app?

DrGreggles

My Monkey Barrel shows seem OK, but I'm not using the app.

Timothy

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 25, 2018, 11:09:40 AM
Anyone bought tickets for the Monkey Barrel only for them to have vanished out of the app?

Seems like they reuploaded all shows on Edfringe this week. If you advance search for recently added this week all Monkey Barrel shows show up.
Maybe some have changed room.

JCR

They told Brendon Burns nothing is changing after they deleted then reinstated his show last Friday

https://twitter.com/barrelcomedy/status/1019992895279988736?s=21

notjosh

My schedule is starting to shape up, below for anyone interested. I'll leave a few spaces unbooked until the nominations come out, but any early suggestions for shows I'll feel a chump if I miss out on?