Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2018

Started by CaledonianGonzo, February 01, 2018, 09:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

I'm there the whole month and want to meet all of you.

CaledonianGonzo

That"s the Barry Award winner Sam Campbell announced as doing a run at the Monkey Barrel.

Malcy

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 14, 2018, 03:35:44 PM
I'm there the whole month and want to meet all of you.

I'm aiming for the 7th and a few of the shows are 2 for 1 on tickets if you fancy anything i decide on. Defo heading to Jack Docherty. Need to whittle down the list I've made for that day from about 30 to 3!

JCR

Has Hannah Gadsby canceled her run? The Fringe box office still lists the show, but you can't buy tickets for it. 😟

CaledonianGonzo

I've got tickets and not been sent a cancellation for it.....at least not yet.

JCR

There's no performances for it listed on assemblyfestival.com either.

CaledonianGonzo

Hopefully tweaking the times / venues rather than an outright cancellation.

Her previous art shows (the one about the Virgin Mary and the one about nudity) were both ace. I'm supposed to be dragging my mum to this one.

Malcy

I've found it odd that a lot of shows still have tickets. Thought they would all sell out in the first week or earlier. Only completely sold out show I've seen was Lost Voice Guy. In relation to the free shows, are the queues always huge?

CaledonianGonzo

That's standard.  Hardly anything sells out this far in advance.

As for free show queues - depends on whether or not they've got any buzz about them.

Malcy

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 15, 2018, 09:17:42 PM
That's standard.  Hardly anything sells out this far in advance.

As for free show queues - depends on whether or not they've got any buzz about them.

Ah OK thanks.

DrGreggles

Stuff that's on all month rarely sells out in advance, but shorter runs do.

zomgmouse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 14, 2018, 03:55:17 PM
That"s the Barry Award winner Sam Campbell announced as doing a run at the Monkey Barrel.
I'm glad about this cause I missed him here.

Quote from: Malcy on June 14, 2018, 04:52:29 PM
I'm aiming for the 7th and a few of the shows are 2 for 1 on tickets if you fancy anything i decide on. Defo heading to Jack Docherty. Need to whittle down the list I've made for that day from about 30 to 3!
Please keep me in the loop!

CaledonianGonzo

Eesh. 12.15am showtime for Sam Cam.

Quisby

Hannah Gadsby is back on sale.

Anyone got any recommendations for something starting around 12 or 1pm?

Malcy

Quote from: Quisby on June 16, 2018, 01:08:55 PM

Bennet Aaron has a show on around that time. Not sure if it's the full month though. Think both Raymond Mearns & Phil Jupitus have free lunchtime shows as well.

Malcy

CaledonianGonzo

Seymour Mace? Rob Kemp's follow up to The Elvis Dead might be worth a punt.

JCR

Quote from: Quisby on June 16, 2018, 01:08:55 PM

Lou Sanders in the Monkey Barrel will probably be fun.

Quisby

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look them up. Seems like I can onlyget through twice this year so early on I'm going for bankers like Hannah Gadsby, Matt Ewins and Simon Munnery. Then in the last week or so hope to make some selections based on recommendations here. Really enjoyed reading people's reviews here last year and that's how I discovered Gadsby and Ewins.

Noodle Lizard

Not strictly comedy, but a theater troupe which has been a big part of my life in recent years is going to be bringing a version of their weird, grand guignol horror production to the Fringe for 28 nights in August.  Zombie Joe's Underground Theater's Urban Death, it's called, and it's the first thing I recommend to anyone visiting LA.

It's a series of dialogue-free segments, usually not longer than 10-30 seconds, always bizarre and often hilarious.  If you want graphic horror, plenty of nudity and astonishingly inventive use of minimalist set-ups pulled off by a very talented, passionate group of performers, give it a go.  I can almost guarantee you've not seen anything like it.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/urban-death

Duckula

On a second pass in the guide I noticed Kate Berlant is playing, that'll be worth seeing.

JCR

Hannah Gadsby has indeed canceled her run.

CaledonianGonzo

Due to big money offers from the US of A?

CaledonianGonzo

The cancellation email has now arrived.

JCR

Hard to see Hannah Gadsby becoming someone who just turns up to do two dates in the Playhouse each August, but maybe it'll happen. 😉

CaledonianGonzo

Desiree Burch has also just cancelled her run.

Malcy

Just discovered the Edinburgh Book Festival is on at the same time as the fringe. 5 mins of browsing the events and there's already 4 at least that I want to see. Fuck sake man. I'm on the dole and trying to decorate my house and furnish it. Something's going to have to give!

Timothy

A good way to save some money is to get the 2v1 friends of the fringe membership, the 2v1 days in the first week and the half price hut.

Malcy

Quote from: Timothy on June 21, 2018, 01:59:40 PM
A good way to save some money is to get the 2v1 friends of the fringe membership, the 2v1 days in the first week and the half price hut.

Yeah most if the shows I'm looking at are 2 for 1 deals. Will check out half price hut cheers.