Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2018

Started by CaledonianGonzo, February 01, 2018, 09:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Most venues also have a noticeboards with 2v1 or half price deals when the Fringe has properly started. They are not always the same as the Half Price Hut.

Best way is to get the Half Price Hut app and just look at the venues to see if the shows you want to see at that venue have a deal.

Not sure if they will do it this year but last year and the year before the joint venture brochure had a deal where you could get 1 show for free.

JCR

Quote from: Malcy on June 20, 2018, 11:14:34 PM
Just discovered the Edinburgh Book Festival is on at the same time as the fringe. 5 mins of browsing the events and there's already 4 at least that I want to see. Fuck sake man. I'm on the dole and trying to decorate my house and furnish it. Something's going to have to give!

The one off big events at the book festival do sell out instantly, a few years back people queued from 5am outside the box office the morning it went on sale, though online sales has presumably changed that now.

Glad Sam Campbell is giving it another shot, hopefully goes better this year.

Malcy

Quote from: JCR on June 22, 2018, 05:52:35 PM
The one off big events at the book festival do sell out instantly, a few years back people queued from 5am outside the box office the morning it went on sale, though online sales has presumably changed that now.

Glad Sam Campbell is giving it another shot, hopefully goes better this year.

Crikey. Might have to give it a miss. Still ot sure what date i'm heading there. Quite fancied going to see Harry Hill.

CaledonianGonzo

Nanette's now up on Netflix.

Malcy

Has anyone applied for any of the BBC stuff? Thinking of trying for Just A Minute tickets for Wed the 8th so if i get them i'll have a spare. Have since found i can get a return bus Ticket for about £7 so might go to more of the day shows. It's just the later in the night shows that are stressing me time wise.

CaledonianGonzo

I've applied for a couple of things, but to be honest the recordings can sometimes be a bit of a chore and can stretch on forever.

TMJ

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 18, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
Not strictly comedy, but a theater troupe which has been a big part of my life in recent years is going to be bringing a version of their weird, grand guignol horror production to the Fringe for 28 nights in August.  Zombie Joe's Underground Theater's Urban Death, it's called, and it's the first thing I recommend to anyone visiting LA.

It's a series of dialogue-free segments, usually not longer than 10-30 seconds, always bizarre and often hilarious.  If you want graphic horror, plenty of nudity and astonishingly inventive use of minimalist set-ups pulled off by a very talented, passionate group of performers, give it a go.  I can almost guarantee you've not seen anything like it.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/urban-death
Bought tickets for me and my friend, on this recommendation. So y'know... better be good, or you'll be hearing from me in a strongly worded post come August. (But we're very much looking forward to it!)

Duckula

RIP CG, Kitson not doing weekends - midnight shows through the week

EDINBURGH.

Yes please.

I'm doing the Stand at Midnight for the whole festival except Fridays and Saturdays.

Here's the title and the blurb.

Daniel Kitson - Good for Glue.

Because he's an idiot, in thrall to his own imagined past, Daniel Kitson (41) has decided to perform an unfinished show that starts at Midnight in a venue that gets debilitatingly hot and doesn't really have enough chairs. In terms of tone, the closest comparison is probably that bit in Oldboy with the corridor full of baddies and the hammer.

Midnight – 90 minutes

Tickets cost 8 pounds and will be available through the Stand and Ed Fringe from noon on July 9th  through their respective box office, websites, phone numbers which i am not providing here because i believe in your ability to track them down. Also, i dont yet have the ticket links. Also I have to eat something and drink some water because my heads gone fizzy.

DrGreggles

Excellent! I've planeed well (for once) and won't be on the wrong side of town 30 minutes before his start time.

CaledonianGonzo

He might yet play the Sunday night prior to the August Bank Holiday Monday....

Quisby

On the subject of Gadsby I need to find a replacement show, something that begins from 4:30pm/finishes by 6pm. Any recommendations? I've trawled through the Fringe website for those times but nothing jumps out at me. Its almost impossible to judge a show from a photo and blurb in the programme.

Malcy

Quote from: Quisby on June 28, 2018, 03:21:20 PM
On the subject of Gadsby I need to find a replacement show, something that begins from 4:30pm/finishes by 6pm. Any recommendations? I've trawled through the Fringe website for those times but nothing jumps out at me. Its almost impossible to judge a show from a photo and blurb in the programme.

I don't know if you watches Lee & Dean on Ch4 but one of the cast from that Anna something I think has a free show, I think, at 4.30 most days.

It's so hard to whittle down to a 3 gigs out of the many there are. I'm either going to see her or Gyles Brandreth.

CaledonianGonzo

I think we're going to go to see Laura Davis in the now empty Hannah Gadsby slot.  Or maybe Loki's Poverty Safari if my wife is particularly keen.

CaledonianGonzo

Jings. Lolly's entire run also cancelled.

Theremin

For anyone looking for Mid-Afternoon delights, I can recommend (both genuinely and out of naked financial self-interest) Murder, She Didn't Write.

It's a Murder-Mystery where we improvise the plot, to chaotic effect. We get an audience member to secretly choose the Killer and Victim, then the cast have to work it out backwards - all while making jokes.

We've been bringing the show to the Fringe for 5 years, and I've personally never tired of watching impeccably colour co-ordinated actors fight, flee and have hysterics.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/murder-she-didn-t-write-the-improvised-murder-mystery

zomgmouse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 28, 2018, 04:21:25 PM
I think we're going to go to see Laura Davis in the now empty Hannah Gadsby slot.

Yes. Do this. She's taking a show she performed here in 2015 which won her the independent artist award and which she revived this year. I saw it both times and it's phenomenal. If you loved Cake in the Rain which I seem to recall you did last year, this will definitely appeal.

Clownbaby

I'm in a massive sulk at the moment cause I want to go and see Limmy's Vines but I can't because I'm poor and I need to manage my money like an adult now

Timothy

Does that make him the only performer in Monkey Barrell that isn't doing PWYW?

Timothy

Any idea what time Daniel Kitson goes on sale on Monday?

TMJ

Booked the majority of our tickets now, including to Mat Ewins, Laura Davis, Paul Sinha, Sadowitz, Natalie Palamides, and Reg D. Hunter since my friend was adamant that we see "someone we've heard of." Just got to add Kitson tickets and we're done.

As a first timer going for four nights (travel and accommodation all accounted for), how much money am I looking to spend once there? Keeping in mind a) I like to eat, and b) most of shows begin around 5pm, leaving most of the mornings and afternoons free to explore...

CaledonianGonzo

Depends on how much booze you want to wade through. I feel naked even walking into a show without a pint in each hand

Domo

I'm in Edinburgh for 2 nights (6&7th), on my potential list are (I know some of these clash):

Rob Auton
John Kearns
Kiri Pritchard-McLean
Mat Ewins
Laura Davis
Rob Kemp

Who else should I be considering this year do you reckon?

CaledonianGonzo

This is the first year its going to be possible to see Kieran Hodgson's show without queuing up for a couple of hours, so that's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

That and the Barry Award winner, which is a banker more often than not.

hummingofevil

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 06, 2018, 02:12:03 PM
Depends on how much booze you want to wade through. I feel naked even walking into a show without a pint in each hand

Alternatively I never drink at shows because I have the world's worst bladder and save boozing for later so its up to you. I agree with CG if all day drinking is your thing it can get very ££££. As a general rule I was blasting through best part of a £5-£10 an hour on days when weather is rubbish (either by going for coffee or sneaking in another show). If weather good its a lot easier to just go find a nice spot somewhere with a Tesco picnic.

JCR

Worth noting as well, drink is very expensive in the bars with 5am licenses. £5ish for a pint or glass of house wine, £8ish for 50ml spirits & mixer.

WestHill

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
This is the first year its going to be possible to see Kieran Hodgson's show without queuing up for a couple of hours, so that's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

That and the Barry Award winner, which is a banker more often than not.

If, like me, your knowledge of 60s/70s EU related politics is sketchy, it's worth brushing up before Hodgson's show to get the full benefit. I'm seeing a full preview on Tues, having seen him do sets on two mixed bills and I've been doing a bit of reading because some of the material's been over my head. Maybe I'm just a dumb dumb!