Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hologram Roy Orbison

Started by Custard, February 01, 2018, 12:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

No, it's not the name of a new Verbwhore, it's a literal hologram of Roy Orbison. And it's going out on tour. Obviously

https://youtu.be/wvFmN85aQWc

https://www.eventimapollo.com/events/detail/roy-orbison-the-hologram-tour#hG6j4TReoeDvVIqR.97

Still, the technology seems to have advanced since they dug up Les Dawson a few years back

It's just fucking weird, innit?

Glebe

This is a step up for Orbison, who appeared in the Travelling Wilburys' 'End of the Line' video as a mere photograph.

Twed

I hate this orchestral fuckery with the music. Doing something for the sake of making a new product, and not for any real artistic benefit. The original is just better.

Shit Good Nose

I did a thread last year about the same thing they're doing with Frank Zappa (or they were planning to do - it's all been quiet since).

I'm in two minds about it.  Yeah it's all a bit shit and gimmicky but, on the other hand, if you're a hardcore fan who never had a chance to see the artist/band live (due to them being dead and/or you not yet being alive when they were around), then rather a hologram of the real person rather than a hokey tribute?

Assuming the technology will improve over time (the Orbison one already looks infinitely better than the Tupac one from a few years ago), then it could be a bit like the Elvis show in Blade Runner 2049.  I'd probably pay to see Genesis or King Crimson in 1973/74 in hologram mode I think.

BlodwynPig

I thought, that isn't a hologram of Roy Orbison, sure enough its not, its a hologram of a Roy Orbison lookalike with deep fake technology superimposing Orbison's face onto it. Sham!

Twed

Schnapple

The booking agency in charge of this also book popular house and techno DJ, Joy Orbison. I'd be keen to see Ben UFO B2B Holographic Roy Orbison.

buzby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 01, 2018, 01:31:10 PM
I thought, that isn't a hologram of Roy Orbison, sure enough its not, its a hologram of a Roy Orbison lookalike with deep fake technology superimposing Orbison's face onto it. Sham!
It is facemapped onto a body double - they did a similar thing in Blade Runner 2049 for the glitching holographic Las Vegas show, filmed a load of lookalikes and did facemapping for the closeups.

It's not even a hologram - it's not a true 3D projected image that you could walk around. The only connection with a laser it has is that the projectors use laser diodes for illumination instead of bulbs or LEDs. . It's basically the modern equivalent of the old Pepper's Ghost optical illusion.

The music is awful - the A Love So Beautiful album (using Roy's vocal tracks with backing from the RPO) that the tour is based on is a load of cheesy middle-of-the-road guff. Radio 2 were playing the I Drove All Night single off it (where he 'duets' with Ward Thomss) to death last year.

Glebe

It's a tacky concept, but I have to say, it's quite impressive what they can do now.

spamwangler

yea the music to this sounded well naff, i dont mind the marked insult to the dead, but roy orbisons records sounded great, that shite dry orchestra chugging along did it no favors

DukeDeMondo

When that video started I thought I was about to hear Hologram Roy Orbison perform "Street Hassle" by Lou Reed. Certainly I'd rather have heard that than that mangled mess of an excuse for "Pretty Woman."

SteveDave

The tickets in London are £72. Sweet Jesus.

jobotic

I wouldn't pay that to see pipe cleaner Eddie Cochran.

Custard

A Hologram Beatles does have some appeal, I must admit. Maybe Ringo could actually be there playing with holograms of the other three, as I'm sure Macca has to wash his hair that night

Glebe

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 01, 2018, 06:06:49 PMA Hologram Beatles does have some appeal, I must admit. Maybe Ringo could actually be there playing with holograms of the other three, as I'm sure Macca has to wash his hair that night

Not even the best drummer with The Holographic Beatles.

Sin Agog

The atmosphere in that clip...it had the creepy sterility of an early David Cronenberg film.  What kind of life must you have lead to come away buzzing from an event like that? 

Custard

ITS WHAT HE WOULD HAVE WANTED!!!2

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Pointless load of balls. 72 quid to watch that?? Fuck off. The hologram isn't even singing in time with the orchestra some of the time...

And yeah give it time The Beatles will make a holographic comeback. That would be semi interesting to watch if it was like the Rock Band game where they played in a variety of real and psychedelic cartoon settings.

Makes you wonder what it'll be like in 100 years time when they're long dead and there's nobody to object to super lifelike robots playing the hits.

Twed

Quote from: SteveDave on February 01, 2018, 05:28:38 PM
The tickets in London are £72. Sweet Jesus.
Do you also get to have sex with the holograms for that price?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Hologram Orbison selects a ticket holder at random to come up onstage and do the deed for the encore. But they switch him off halfway through and everyone's laughing at you shagging the floor with your trousers round your ankles.

Custard

I imagine paying the completely pointless orchestra backing him/it costs a fair bit. But yeah, 72 snoobies is insane, and so is anyone who pays it. It's not him! Just watch a video. Or play the music at home. Or get your wife to dress up like him

Almost certainly not as satisfying to completely wrap in cling-film.

Twed

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 01, 2018, 08:40:22 PM
Hologram Orbison selects a ticket holder at random to come up onstage and do the deed for the encore. But they switch him off halfway through and everyone's laughing at you shagging the floor with your trousers round your ankles.
The thought of this has brightened my day, thank you Rich Uncle Skeletor

Custard

I wonder who Hologram Roy Orbison's fee goes to?

Does he charge the same as the alive Roy Orbison?

What's on his rider?

Will groupies lick his USB hole?

BlodwynPig

Ziggy Sings In Dreams, oh boy!

Nowhere Man

This one looks a bit naff, but its interesting to think of how good these holograms are good. Imagine a holographic Duke Ellington with live orchestra or Vivian Stanshall hologram with the Bonzos backing him.

Would something like this be possible with the likes of Hank Williams or Buddy Holly? I imagine it's probably a lot harder in the case of those who there isn't much surviving good quality footage of.

Shaky

buzby

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 01, 2018, 09:58:51 PM
This one looks a bit naff, but its interesting to think of how good these holograms are good. Imagine a holographic Duke Ellington with live orchestra or Vivian Stanshall hologram with the Bonzos backing him.

Would something like this be possible with the likes of Hank Williams or Buddy Holly? I imagine it's probably a lot harder in the case of those who there isn't much surviving good quality footage of.
There doesn't have to be much footage - the body is a double miming to the performance. As long as there's some film of the face they can do algorithmic face mapping to generate the rest.

There's quite a bit of old TV footage of Hank Williams they can use as a source - Hank Williams Jr. did a duet with his dad in 1989 where he was inserted into old TV footage. You can bet his estate have been onto the blower of one of these companies to do the same thing, and it's just the sort of thing Experience Hendrix LLC would probably be looking at too. ABBA have already announced they are doing a 'hologram' tour of Australia next year

DukeDeMondo

I'd pay 70 quid to see Cher and Beavis and Butthead. The Beavis and Butthead Experience will be thirty years old in five years time. Maybe they can arrange something for then.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: Glebe on February 01, 2018, 12:36:30 PM
This is a step up for Orbison, who appeared in the Travelling Wilburys' 'End of the Line' video as a mere photograph.

This post made me do an actual spit-take.