Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hologram Roy Orbison

Started by Custard, February 01, 2018, 12:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on February 02, 2018, 09:45:57 AM
This post made me do an actual spit-take.

Heh!

How long till Hologram Mark E. Smith?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I always thought Orbison was supposed to be the haunted rocking chair.

Glebe

"Help me Holographic Roy Orbison, you're my only hope."

famethrowa

Quote from: Glebe on February 02, 2018, 09:48:27 AM
Heh!

How long till Hologram Mark E. Smith?

Saw the Holy Ghost, I swear
On the screen

Glebe

Actually, they could use Holographic Les Dawson as the warm-up act.

Bobtoo

How much is really there in this Dio clip? Is it a person with Dio's face projected on or is the microphone a hologram too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiWahgEnFg

There's a bit of uncanny valley going on with it but I'm not certain I would spot that in the video if I didn't already know. I think I'd have a hard time buying into it if I was there though.

buzby

Quote from: Bobtoo on February 04, 2018, 02:46:11 PM
How much is really there in this Dio clip? Is it a person with Dio's face projected on or is the microphone a hologram too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiWahgEnFg

There's a bit of uncanny valley going on with it but I'm not certain I would spot that in the video if I didn't already know. I think I'd have a hard time buying into it if I was there though.

It's all part of the projected image (and it's not  hologram!). It's a video of a CGI motion-captured 'actor' with Dio's face mapped onto it. The screen is semi-transparent, allowing the guitarist to walk behind it and still be visible. He can't walk directly behind the image though, as you would be able to see him though it (it would become a real 'ghost').

Is Holo-Roy an actual 3D being?

buzby

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 05, 2018, 12:46:42 AM
Is Holo-Roy an actual 3D being?
The body double they captured was, but the CGI-enhanced projection is 2D.

dmillburn

I went to the London "Dio Returns" show at the end of last year and it was good fun but I found the effect to be less impressive than I had hoped - it still very much looks like a 2D projection, probably because it is. The reaction to the gig was mainly positive, although some unimpressed bloke at the bar did shout loudly "YOU'VE KILLED HIM AGAIN!" after the first song which made me chuckle. The gig as a whole worked quite well in this instance because they had two live singers, and alternated between them singing songs with the band and switching to the band playing along to pretend Dio - I think if the whole gig had been just the (not a) hologram Dio without the live singers it might have been even weirder than it already was.