Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Agents of Mayhem

Started by Famous Mortimer, February 01, 2018, 10:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Just had a quick shuftie and couldn't find a thread for it.

I am perhaps the biggest Saints Row fan, and I knew the reviews of this were mixed, but figured I'd love it anyway (no idea why I waited so long to play it).

It's a bit...missing something? It feels like a half-hearted HD version of "Crackdown" with a weird gimmick - being able to switch between characters instantly - and I really wish they'd just not bothered with the Saints Row branding (the fleur-de-lis logo, the introduction of a couple of SR characters as DLC). It might be fun when I get used to the complicated bits and get a bit more cash / scrap to do building of stuff with, but at the moment I can understand why it wasn't exactly a success. They could have just done an HD remaster of the first Saints Row game and given it all sorts of bells and whistles, rather than this oddly empty city that falls between a few stools.

Anyone else given it a go? Reckon I might find something more enjoyable about it as it goes on?

BeardFaceMan

I'm a fan of the Saints Row games too so picked this up for a tenner at xmas and am similarly unimpressed. The whole thing felt like an old Saturday morning kids cartoon (not sure if that was the vibe they were going for or not, odd choice if it was) but not in a good way, the world and characters feel so charmless. Think I lasted about 2 hours with it before putting it on ebay.

They couldn't really go any further with Saints Row after the last game, after you've done demons and aliens where do you go from there? It just feels like the makers wanted to do another SR game but couldnt take the story any further so what they've ended up with feels very much like SR-lite, a pale imitation of a great game series. I can see why they've linked the SR universe to this game because AoM isn't really strong enough to stand on its own.

Famous Mortimer

It's not particularly nice-looking, either - it sort of feels like a cross between a normal Saints Row game and that cel-shading thing (am I saying that right?)

I completely agree the "story" of Saints Row was done, unless they wanted to have "Saints in Space", but that would've probably sucked. I think they could have easily done a new version of the first two games, or done an online thing where you make your own gang, or join someone else's, if you want to stay in the same "universe" have it as a game the Saints are playing as they drift through space or whatever, having created a virtual Stilwater for a laugh. I just want the humour and the fun controls in glorious HD (and to get a chance to play SR2 on a proper platform, as the PC port was garbage and I wasn't buying a whole console just for one game). 

madhair60

The gameplay in this is total brain mush, but I do like the game - I think the characterisation and interaction is very impressive*, and because I'm a big SJW libtard cuck I like how diverse the game is without rubbing the player's nose in it. It's just like, yeah over half our characters are women and less than half of those are white, so fuck.

*I mean it's no masterpiece, but the histories between the characters have been developed nicely so there's dialogue for many, many combinations.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on February 02, 2018, 12:08:03 AM
The gameplay in this is total brain mush, but I do like the game - I think the characterisation and interaction is very impressive*, and because I'm a big SJW libtard cuck I like how diverse the game is without rubbing the player's nose in it. It's just like, yeah over half our characters are women and less than half of those are white, so fuck.

*I mean it's no masterpiece, but the histories between the characters have been developed nicely so there's dialogue for many, many combinations.
Cool. I played it a bit more with the first two additional team members, and they were quite good fun. It does at least carry forward the tradition from SR4 of cars being completely pointless (for the first hour or so of gameplay, at least).

PS - I had a video recommended to me on Youtube about some people playing a game, and it was just a lot of men in their early 20s shouting "cuck" at each other, clearly just a word they were expected to use every 5 seconds, no matter the context. I have never felt so old or glad to be old.

Famous Mortimer

It's a bit more fun when I realised that you can have a squad entirely comprised of Saints Row characters (currently playing with Kinzie, Pierce and Johnny Gat); and I've got the hang of the special abilities a bit. I wish there was a bit more to it, though.

madhair60

There sadly isn't. I enjoy it with the difficulty cranked and using my faves.

I bought all the DLC. I really want to support the sort of inter-character stuff this game presents, as well as the effortlessly diverse cast. It really is all about the characters and how they chat to each other that appeals to me here.

Famous Mortimer

SR 2 is now available via backwards compatibility for the Xbox One, which is good news for people like me who only ever played the PC port, and good news for people who enjoy really good computer games.

madhair60

Yassss. I'm trying to do SR1 so I can go back to 2 and finish it. It's brilliant.

Famous Mortimer

And now the first Saints Row is available via backwards compatibility to all XBox One owners (who want to buy it). I'm quite surprised at how nice the city looks, even though it's a smidgeon clunkier than part 2. I never really played part 1, but it's fun so far.