Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

REPREHENSIBLE PULP NOVELS OF THE 70s AND 80s - THE CREAM OF THE CROP

Started by bushwick, February 02, 2018, 05:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Just got my copy of XAN through the post this week. I'm impressed by the way the author covers his back in the foreword. It's like the nervous disclaimer one has to append all posts in political discussion on CaB

Famous Mortimer

I just discovered (sorry if it was already mentioned) that Amazon did a pilot for an Edge TV show, written by Shane Black. That might have been interesting.

bushwick

Yeah, it's pretty good, worth watching for sure - shame it didn't get a series.

Swoz_MK

Won Edge #1-5 on eBay earlier, can't wait to get stuck in. the urge to jump straight to #3 is very strong.

mothman

Yeah, Sven Hassell. Also Leo Kessler. And then there were the Survivalist novels (yes, OK, we get it, he carries twin Detonics .45s in a crossover shoulder holster, wears aviator shades and favours a shortened version of an Armalite, we can see you've replicated that faithfully, if amateurishly, on the cover yet again... but do you also have to mention it in the back-cover blurb for literally every single fucking book?).

bushwick

Shaun Hutson did some Hassell rip-offs under the name 'Wolf Kruger' too, they're worth checking. He also did one called "Sabres In The Snow" as by 'Stefan Rostov'.

Quote from: Swoz_MK on March 15, 2018, 05:10:44 PM
Won Edge #1-5 on eBay earlier, can't wait to get stuck in. the urge to jump straight to #3 is very strong.

deffo worth doing in order but doesn't really matter if you don't. The Civil War flashback ones are great. Stick with the first 20 for MAXIMUM VIOLENCE. Also the Adam Steele books and the Edge vs Steele series are worth getting too, by the same author (also the Undertaker series if you can find 'em).

Swoz_MK

Noted. I can't help but feel I'm expecting too much from them. I must clear my mind of all possible bloodbaths.

Zero Gravitas

Just bumping this in case this of interest. Valancourt books are doing a run of reprints of titles mentioned in Paperbacks from Hell

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/paperbacksfromhell.html

First title came out this month

THE NEST  by Gregory A. Douglas, introduced by Will Errickson

It was just an ordinary garbage dump on peaceful Cape Cod. No one ever imagined that conditions were perfect for breeding, that it was a warm womb, fetid, moist, and with food so plentiful that everything creeping, crawling, and slithering could gorge to satiation. Then a change in poison control was made, resulting in an unforeseen mutation. Now the giant mutant cockroaches are ready to leave their nest--in search of human flesh!

Shaky

I nabbed the Phoenix ebook mentioned by bushwick earlier in the thread and while it's a lot of fun seven chapters in, it's not quite as demented as I'd hoped. Basically a very silly yet straight-faced 80's actioner at this point. Judging by some of the quotes I doubt I'll have to wait long, though, and I had a good chuckle at the hero spending the two days after nuclear apocalypse just shooting up sheds and cars with a stash of weapons he'd found.

The author also seems like an, er, interesting sort of bloke:

www.davidalexanderbooks.com

madhair60

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 22, 2019, 11:42:26 AM
Just bumping this in case this of interest. Valancourt books are doing a run of reprints of titles mentioned in Paperbacks from Hell

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/paperbacksfromhell.html

First title came out this month

THE NEST  by Gregory A. Douglas, introduced by Will Errickson

It was just an ordinary garbage dump on peaceful Cape Cod. No one ever imagined that conditions were perfect for breeding, that it was a warm womb, fetid, moist, and with food so plentiful that everything creeping, crawling, and slithering could gorge to satiation. Then a change in poison control was made, resulting in an unforeseen mutation. Now the giant mutant cockroaches are ready to leave their nest--in search of human flesh!

Ctrl+F "Eat Them Alive"

For fuck's sake.