Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:48:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A.P. Bio (S1, Glenn Howerton's new sitcom)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 02, 2018, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's been renewed by NBC.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/a-p-bio-renewed-season-2-nbc-1202383176/

I wouldn't bet on Great News returning. NBC burnt through the second series as fast as they could, even during the holidays, and, while it was a good reminder of how many good one-liners 30 Rock could deliver, there was nothing outstanding with the execution. And I didn't know anything about Champions before seeing this, but the ratings are just terrible.

They still have to air the second season of Trial & Error this summer.

Mister Six

I caned this over the weekend, and maybe it was a fast-acting Stockholm situation or just not having a week or more between episodes to stew over it (also the knowledge that Dennis is back in Sunny) but I thought it was great, once it was over the hump of that very shaky pilot. The possum-slaughtering monologue that opened the second episode cracked me up, and I was off to the races from there.

I also disagree that it's a bad thing that the cast as a whole are so odd. If the series was leaning completely on Teacher Dennis while everyone reacted in horror it would feel very anaemic. Having Patton Oswalt and all the rest having their own little capers helps the whole thing feel a lot more substantial.

The only off-putting thing is how Gervasian the Stanford rival is - but that's not his fault, I suppose.

Glad to hear The Mick is good - I got the impression it was going to be another of those pseudo-edgy sitcoms about a mum who says rude things for audiences of thirtysomethings who have kids and want to feel young, so even Olsen being in it wasn't much of a draw. But the tall of it being more in the Sunny vein has intrigued me.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The Mick may be the US network sitcom with the highest dismemberment rate in history. There wasn't anything comparable to the fate of Rickety Cricket, but there were a lot of accidents in the show.

Mister Six

steveh

This came rather late to Sky Comedy, who are currently showing the second season. The first season I wasn't sure about, particularly early on, and the feud with Tom Bennett's character was too limiting a storyline. Having discarded that though, the second season I thought was way better with some terrific episodes and a good gag rate throughout. There was a danger it might stray to the wrong side of quirkiness with the characters but thankfully it avoids that.

Ant Farm Keyboard

More exactly, all of season 3. It's no longer on NBC, but on the NBC Universal streaming service, Peacock. And they decided to release the 8-episode season in one bunch.

Moribunderast

Watched season 3 over the last day. It's nice but not as good as I remember the show being. Just felt a little lacking, maybe a bit too nice now that Howerton's character is friendly with everyone and less selfish than he had been earlier in the show's run.

steveh

Just finished watching season 4 (Sky Comedy / Now TV / Peacock) and I still think this is underrated. There were a couple of episodes that were more mainstream US network comedy in style this time but the ones that take an idea and head off into weird territory are still great. Heather's web series side plot about a 1970s police secretary who takes control of cases was nicely done too.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on September 16, 2018, 01:55:22 AMThe only off-putting thing is how Gervasian the Stanford rival is - but that's not his fault, I suppose.

Just started watching this, but that has to be an intentional Gervais impression, surely? It is very off-putting though, if he had a bigger part in this I'd be binning it off, he's awful.

phantom_power

I am sure I have seen him in other things doing pretty much the same schtick