Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Book reviews that spoil books - split topic

Started by MoonDust, February 02, 2018, 07:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

I'm really interested in reading the novel Spartacus by Howard Fast, the novel which Kubrick based his film on. I'm interested in reading up on Spartacus and the Servile Wars in general, but this novel seems good as I'm in a novel rather than non-fiction mood at the moment.

Anyway, decided to go on Good Reads to see what people were saying about it. Obviously I know the risks with regards to spoilers but most are good and just give reviews without giving anything away. Until I read one review and halfway through reading I realised they were quoting the book, to which I then read in the next sentence of the same review "this is the very last line in this brilliant novel". Waddacunt! Who does that?

Genuinely pissed off now. To be fair it was a cracking last line, but fuck sake, I wanted to read the novel before getting to that line first. Online reviewer bastards; what are your experiences?

Also as the split topic, has anyone read Spartacus? Would you recommend (without being a spoiler cunt)?

Serge

I generally avoid reading book reviews, as I like to know as little about books before I read them as I can. Though the real fucker for giving things away is blurbs - Craig Brown wrote a piece a few years ago complaining about the fact that he'd just read a book published by Oxford University Press (who are apparently notorious for it), which gave away a plot point from about 450 pages into the book, before going on to reveal the plot up to about a dozen pages from the end. I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, but  I know that I've read blurbs which have mentioned something in passing that doesn't occur until deep into the book, and that I've specifically been anticipating because of that.

manticore

Absobloodylutely. I don't read any reviews or the backs of books before I read them. 'The story of a man driven to suicide by an unhappy love affair' - yes well maybe I didn't know it was doomed you mutha! I don't care if it is a classic. I didn't know!

Pah.

MoonDust

I generally agree but with Spartacus I felt safe having brief glances at reviews because I already know vaguely the story from the film I watched years ago and the real life history of Spartacus.

But what annoyed me about this cunt was quoting the last ever sentence in the novel. In a novel the last line is supposed to be a good closer. Something to make you think "wow, that was a good read." To quote the last line in a review is a dick move. In some ways it's worse than spoiling a plot point because at least with a plot point spoiled you can still enjoy how it's written and the language used, and all the emotion and imagery that comes with it.

Spoiling the last line however takes that away. I can't help but feel the ending will be less climactic and have less of an emotional punch now that I know word for word how Howard Fast closes the novel.

Hope that makes sense...

Ray Travez

Just finished a book of prison memoirs, so I thought I'd read some reviews... one says, "I found his account of learning of his father and brother's death while inside particulary heart breaking.The bond between him and his friend Sam was a beautiful one and it was so sad that Sam later died in France after release."* Just glad I read the book first. Sam doesn't die until right at the end.

I'm another one who never reads the blurb, (nor do I read a film review if I want to see it). Been burned before by blurb.

*slightly changed the details in case anyone else happens to read this book

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: manticore on February 04, 2018, 02:25:24 AM
Absobloodylutely. I don't read any reviews or the backs of books before I read them.

If you don't read reviews or blurbs, how do you find out about new books?

I love reading reviews, it's how I find out about 70% of the books I read.

Keebleman

I remember Germaine Greer on Late Review sneering at the idea that she shouldn't give away plot points, and of course to discuss a work fully you need to consider the ending, but the pleasures of letting a narrative unfold are often wilfully ignored by academics.

You can still enjoy Citizen Kane multiple times if you know the solution to the Rosebud mystery, but with low-grade stuff, such as whodunnits, the unfolding of the narrative is literally the only interest the story has.

I remember watching Boys From Brazil knowing nothing about it in advance except it involved ex-Nazis.  I was enthralled by it...right up to the point when the mysteries of the plot were fully explained whereupon I realised what a ludicrous pile of tosh it was.  But if it's on TV and you look at a listing in the paper I can all but guarantee that the capsule description will say something like, "Josef Mengele tries to clone Hitler," and poof! all possible entertainment value in the film is gone.

Wet Blanket

I love book reviews. I read the TLS every week, cover to cover, long pontifications on books I'll never read. I'm okay with general plot specifics but it's poor form to give away a twist or unexpected development. Not sure I'd be too bothered by a reveal of a last line. Some last lines are famous on their own terms. "After all, tomorrow is another day"; "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which"; "I said yes I will Yes"

bgmnts

Off topic but would like to support your desire to read about the Third Servile War.
In fact that entire last century BC is just a goldmine of amazing stories, political intrigue and violence.

Crassus was quite a nasty bastard.

Icehaven

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 09, 2018, 10:48:38 AM

It's possible to look through a review/new releases section or site or whatever without actually reading the reviews, just seeing the author names and titles. Admittedly this only works with prior knowledge of what/who you like to read and doesn't really help you find new ones.

manticore

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 09, 2018, 10:48:38 AM

Looking at the fast few novels I've read, they've all been recommendations from friends or 'classics' or books I've heard are interesting somewhere.

Though I do appreciate the argument that it's good to read a book of which you know the plot because then you aren't concentrating so much on what's going to happen next but more on the writing itself.

Keebleman

My mentioning Boys From Brazil reminds me of another book by Ira Levin that simply can't be discussed in even the broadest terms without giving away crucial plot points.  I took A Kiss Before Dying from the library about 25 years ago on a whim: it was a hardback copy but the dust jacket had vanished so there was no blurb. 

Its plot is far less silly than BFB (though still quite silly) but, again, once its secrets are revealed there's nothing much going on except a gathering up of loose ends, but in this case the secrets are so good it makes it all worthwhile.

And the twists are very literary in their set-ups and reveals.  After reading it I thought to myself, well, this can never be filmed.  I was astonished to learn that not only had it been filmed in the early 60s, but that a remake with Matt Dillon was just a few months away from release!  I never bothered to watch it.