Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

King Of Kong Mullet Man Rumbled.

Started by darby o chill, February 04, 2018, 02:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darby o chill

Billy Mitchell's top 3 Donkey Kong scores removed today.
Quotethree 1,000,000+ point scores presented by Mitchell were actually set using emulation rather than actual arcade hardware, as Mitchell claimed.
Clever bastards on DK forums figured out submitted tapes were played on m.a.m.e. not arcade pcbs.
Not as fucked as the Todd Rogers drama last week but still.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/donkey-kong-scoreboard-strips-billy-mitchells-high-score-claims/

DK forum technical stuff
http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?topic=2055.0

St_Eddie

Z

The guy who was the main supervisor at the time* was really dodgy iirc. Not surprising there'd be a bunch of dodgy records in that time period.

Can see how a guy like Mitchell would fake a few records at the time. It hadn't become a super attention-focused thing and was really the foundation of the thing he prided himself on. Once King of Kong made him more famous in general, he seemed to stop giving a shit because he didn't need it anymore.
Honestly, at this point, finding out he cheated bolsters his reputation if anything. He's far more Billy Mitchell than I ever thought he was.

* this guy, NSFW, features Christopher Lambert

BlodwynPig

Is this real? Is DK a pastime or an industry?

Howj Begg

Quote from: Z on February 04, 2018, 03:30:59 PM
NFSW, features Christopher Lambert

fucksake, i thought you were kidding. I watched and there really was Christoper Lambert. Now I'm fired. Thanks.

biggytitbo

Ben Heck hacked into the rom for the Atari 2600 game dragster which another well known speed running bullshitter claims to hold the record for, and proved that it wasnt possible - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfXwSYzEjcE

I.D. Smith

I also really liked Billy Mitchell's music project Grinderman which produced an album of songs about him grinding his way through old 80's arcade games, such as 'No Pac-Man Blues'

newbridge

I watched bits of the video of the new world record Donkey Kong score. Looked pretty fucking easy, to be honest.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: darby o chill on February 04, 2018, 02:05:00 AM
Not as fucked as the Todd Rogers drama last week but still.

Thanks for the heads-up, just been reading about that.

It almost sounds even more complicated to use a MAME than to just do it on an arcade but what do I know. Why blokes like Billy Mitchell and Todd Rogers feel the need to lie about these things is beyond me, especially Mitchell who has made a number of achievements in the gaming world it seems like a good way to blow your reputation such as it is.

St_Eddie

This seems like a sneaky opportunity to show off my arcade gaming prowess.  Just for clarification, I should mention that these videos were recorded using MAME, lest I find myself Mitchell'd...

Quote from: Z on February 04, 2018, 03:30:59 PM
The guy who was the main supervisor at the time* was really dodgy iirc. Not surprising there'd be a bunch of dodgy records in that time period.

Aw, I like Robert Mruczek.  He's almost certainly on the spectrum and all the better for it.  I should like to have a pint with him, sometime.

garbed_attic

I think my second funniest documentary moment (after the 'double gobble' guy in Vernon, Florida) was the use of Leonard Cohen's 'Everybody Knows' in King of Kong over footage of Mitchell - the filmmakers weren't even trying to hide their bias!

Turns out they were right though, I guess!

Goldentony

my mate once got the personal best record in Sydney 2000 on the hammer throw for the PS1 and we got so excited he lashed my mates pad at him and went

"TOP SCORE YOU FUCKING PEA HEAD"

and the lad left in a strop

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 04, 2018, 05:01:23 PM
Aw, I like Robert Mruczek.  He's almost certainly on the spectrum and all the better for it.

No, I'm pretty sure that, unlike Mitchell, he's on the original arcade machine.

Z

Aw, I like Robert Mruczek.  He's almost certainly on the spectrum and all the better for it.  I should like to have a pint with him, sometime.
No, I meant dodgy in that he was not counting a whole load of legitimate attempts while basically blindly accepting ones from guys he knew. It was probably more down to him taking on a stupid amount of work and half-assing it than deliberate malice, mind.

The Classic Arcade Gaming forum (where a ton of these guys all reside) looks familiar http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,7056.0.html

Paul Calf

This seems like a sneaky opportunity to show off my arcade gaming prowess.  Just for clarification, I should mention that these videos were recorded using MAME, lest I find myself Mitchell'd...

Speaking as someone who was obsessed with MM after discovering it in the observation gallery at Birmingham airport arrivals in about 1984, I am unironically impressed by this.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Goldentony on February 04, 2018, 08:05:07 PM
"TOP SCORE YOU FUCKING PEA HEAD"

That's some filthy fucking language, right there. "P*A HEAD"!  How very throthing-with-piss-cum-and-vinegar, cunting vulgar!

Quote from: Z on February 04, 2018, 08:35:35 PM
No, I meant dodgy in that he was not counting a whole load of legitimate attempts while basically blindly accepting ones from guys he knew.

Oh, I see.  In that respect, I suppose that he is quite dodgy.  I still would though.

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 04, 2018, 08:57:49 PM
Speaking as someone who was obsessed with MM after discovering it in the observation gallery at Birmingham airport arrivals in about 1984, I am unironically impressed by this.

Why, thank you.  It's a testament to my lack of a social life.

madhair60

It would be great if this was all intentional on Billy's part and it came to a crescendo as he controversially attended a DK event and cracked a million on real hardware, pivoted and unleashed a single pistol shot directly into the heart of Steve Wiebe, then left smiling, a girl on each arm.

darby o chill

Yeah Mruczek seems a likeable dork.
Opie & Anthony review is great.

This fella takes the cake. 30 odd years bitching about a high score. Such a shit game too.

madhair60

St_Eddie

Paul Calf

Quote from: darby o chill on February 05, 2018, 06:11:48 PM
Yeah Mruczek seems a likeable dork.
Opie & Anthony review is great.

This fella takes the cake. 30 odd years bitching about a high score. Such a shit game too.

Fuck me. Is that a parody?

darby o chill

Not a parody. He's a champion of shit Atari game 'Missile command'. ◔̯◔
Hates Billy Mitchell and always ranting about high score conspiracies. Regarded as a dangerous loon in retro gaming.

Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the arcade

And Part 6! of his conspiracy rant.

the

Yes I know, but he's clearly not being entirely serious in the previous vid.

Also, since when has Missile Command been shit?

darby o chill

Quote from: the on February 05, 2018, 11:27:11 PM
Yes I know, but he's clearly not being entirely serious in the previous vid.
Ah ok.

Also, since when has Missile Command been shit?
Since 1980.

the

So in the genre of early arcade trackball games, did it make any particular transgression in order to qualify as 'shit'?

darby o chill

Sorry, I just hate everything about it. Shit graphics & gameplay. Compare it to other 1980 games like Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, Rally X, Centipede and it looks like something from '78.