Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:50:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

King Of Kong Mullet Man Rumbled.

Started by darby o chill, February 04, 2018, 02:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

The original docco (King of Kong) was more of a fictional movie than it was made out to be (definitely not a documentary). They managed to edit a plot with goodies and baddies who had roles that didn't really represent who they really were and several of them were in on it.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 28, 2019, 06:46:31 PM
Can someone please dumb down all of the events which have occurred here because all I know is what I saw in the original docco and this nerd chat is confusing, thanks

Billy Mitchell said he got a number of world records on some old video games. These records were in the Guinness Book of World Records, so seemed legit.
However it seems like he cheated.
It also seems like he had help in this alleged cheating from some of the people in charge of supervising record attempts.
There is a lot of evidence for all this, which seems solid.
As a result, Guinness and others got rid of his world records.
Mitchell denies the allegations, and claims the evidence was faked.
He has an odd haircut and wears a tie with the US flag on it lol

peanutbutter

Can someone please dumb down all of the events which have occurred here because all I know is what I saw in the original docco and this nerd chat is confusing, thanks
The tape he submits midway through the doc (the one he has an old woman bring to the place?) to beat Wiebe (the other guy) was proven to have been done on an emulator and feature cuts and chops that suggest he pasted multiple attempts together. As a result all of his records and rankings have been stripped. Since then he hasn't taken it very well and is pursuing legal action, meanwhile other records of his have come into question.

Ham Bap

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 28, 2019, 09:27:31 PM
The tape he submits midway through the doc (the one he has an old woman bring to the place?) to beat Wiebe (the other guy) was proven to have been done on an emulator and feature cuts and chops that suggest he pasted multiple attempts together. As a result all of his records and rankings have been stripped. Since then he hasn't taken it very well and is pursuing legal action, meanwhile other records of his have come into question.

Was so obvious that video was dodgy as fuck as well but they were so willing for Wiebe not to have the record, and for Billy to remain their geek king. The big 80s weirdo with his mullet.

idunnosomename

i havent played a computer game since like 2002

On the other hand, he's since got 1m points live in an arcade, so it's potentially all legit

BlodwynPig

Ah i get it now. Nerds Be Nerding

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 28, 2019, 10:03:17 PM
On the other hand, he's since got 1m points live in an arcade, so it's potentially all legit
He done that after some other point gain discoveries were done that made cracking a million a lot less of an achievement though, didn't he?

bgmnts

Watching Apollo Legend's vid on this, good god some people are just sad fucks.

the

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 28, 2019, 06:46:31 PMCan someone please dumb down all of the events which have occurred here because all I know is what I saw in the original docco and this nerd chat is confusing, thanks

In addition to the explanations given above, the main crux of all of this is that the official verified officialdom supposedly invested by organisations like Twin Galaxies in conjunction with Guinness WR has been shown to be full of holes, subject to all kinds of hocus-pocus, and not really worth the paper it's printed on.

In short, all the people involved are excellent high-level players of these games, but their individual claims to certain specific achievements can't necessarily be verified, and there are signs that, at points, there has been skullduggery involved driven by maintenance of the public face of the individuals and organisations involved.

So, coming out of this - you're looking for some value in all of this, right? - and that value is the detached entertainment value of being an onlooker upon the incestuous nerdy melée of the egos and "he said she said" who-cares ballbaggery of the people involved, who have elevated the business of high-scoring absolutism beyond what is really viable with a bearded humbug of a man in Iowa and his buddies.

darby o chill

Mruczek says Brain Kuh wanted to place the tv (showing Billy Mitchell's taped submission) on top of the Donkey Kong machine at Funspot while Steve Wiebe was playing it.

QDRPHNC

Twed

I still find this all very weird given that Funspot is so local to me and is such a dump. It's like seeing a movie with a Mortal Kombat machine at Margate being the central focus.