Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

King Of Kong Mullet Man Rumbled.

Started by darby o chill, February 04, 2018, 02:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

To be fair, those Korean lads who play League of Legends for a living are catnip to the ladies and that is not a joke.

St_Eddie

Steve Wiebe responds to the Mitchell controversy.

I'm not sure about a musical or scripted TV show.  I'd much sooner have a follow-up documentary.  There's a brief mention of 'another story from this world', which could be the basis for a further documentary.  I'd be happy enough with that.

QDRPHNC

The best bit in King of Kong - bar none - is when the interviewer asks what initials Mitchell always uses for his high scores, and Billy does this kind of, "what do you think?" motioning to his tie. When the interviewer doesn't respond, he glances down to see that he forgot he wasn't wearing his usual USA tie that day.

the

Err, but he is wearing a USA tie, with the Statue of Liberty on it.

The amusement is that the interviewer sees him fiddling with his tie but doesn't pick up on what's printed on it. So when Bill says 'what do YOU think my initials are?', the intereviewer thinks for a bit, then says:

"... T.I.E.?"

Bill (looks really pissed off): "... No."

QDRPHNC

Quote from: the on April 13, 2018, 07:56:10 PM
Err, but he is wearing a USA tie, with the Statue of Liberty on it.

The amusement is that the interviewer sees him fiddling with his tie but doesn't pick up on what's printed on it. So when Bill says 'what do YOU think my initials are?', the intereviewer thinks for a bit, then says:

"... T.I.E.?"

Bill (looks really pissed off): "... No."

Ok fair enough my memory is faulty, but clearly he assumed he was wearing his usual loud stars and stripes tie, it's in almost every other scene.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 13, 2018, 08:02:47 PM
Ok fair enough my memory is faulty, but clearly he assumed he was wearing his usual loud stars and stripes tie, it's in almost every other scene.

I've just come over here from the Bo' Selecta thread, where I saw you flippantly dismissing a beloved, nay, cherished television show of your youth with nary a flick of your wrist, even though you - and I quote - "can't be fucking arsed to revisit it, probably a load of shite, but then I'm a knobhead so what do I know?", and I come into this thread and what do I see you doing? The exact same fucking thing!

I have seen you post here very frequently, although I can't quite adequately remember any of them at all - in fact I can't remember any, except for this one and the above mentioned - but if I were to go by those two snippets alone, I'd have to probably say that you're entire post history consisted of vaguely remembering something, sometimes incorrectly, and then dashing it off into the dog dirt like it's something you think you can just get away with. Well I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. Not just about this post, or the Bo Selecta one, no. You're probably wrong about everything you've ever said.

Anyway that's all I wanted to say. I hope you have a decent weekend.

QDRPHNC

Didn't I say that I really liked the first two series?

And by "of its time", I meant that it's reliance on impersonating celebrities probably makes it seem dated these days.

Settle.

St_Eddie

The only person clearly assuming in this case, is you.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 13, 2018, 08:35:31 PM
The only person clearly assuming in this case, is you.

You're absolutely right.

I think I should take some time away from the forum and do some work on myself before posting such things again.

alan nagsworth

fucks sake mate. let the whole side down haven't you

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 13, 2018, 08:40:39 PM
You're absolutely right.

I think I should take some time away from the forum and do some work on myself before posting such things again.

I wasn't having a pop, mate.

QDRPHNC

the

Come back QDRPHNC. If nothing else, there's a Donkey Kong killscreen coming up if you're interested

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 13, 2018, 08:59:39 PM

Well, there's no need for that kind of language!  Don't you make me send a comma your way.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 13, 2018, 08:40:39 PM
I think I should take some time away from the forum

Please don't, you're one of the good uns.

popcorn

When I was 7 and I beat Sonic 2 with my mate I went around my mate's house telling everyone that the Sonic 2 credits sequence was coming up if anyone was interested.

No one was though. Even though it's quite a good credits sequence, especially for the time.

Gulftastic

On a similar theme, I've become a little bit obsessed with Super Mario Brothers speed run records.

Here's the current record,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJR7fasYlDw

I'm fascinated by the tiny details and glitches that people have figured out to shave extra fractions of seconds off the record, such as leaving the title page up for a certain length of time, as it makes an enemy act a certain way much later in the game. How would anyone work that out?

Here's another video detailing all the glitches used to set the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQJEzJ_cQw

Twed

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 14, 2018, 05:51:38 PM
I'm fascinated by the tiny details and glitches that people have figured out to shave extra fractions of seconds off the record, such as leaving the title page up for a certain length of time, as it makes an enemy act a certain way much later in the game. How would anyone work that out?
It sounds like genius detective work but it's surprisingly logical and obvious when you know how these systems work.

Computers can't really generate random numbers, so they have to fake it. In those old systems, a "good enough" source of entropy was to use the ready-available counters the systems had for how many frames had been rendered to the screen since the system was switched on (or minor variations of that theme; they could be using a counter that the title screen sets to keep track of its scroll position or something similar). Whenever the game software needs to generate a 'random' number to affect how an enemy or other game logic behaves, it's based on that counter. With that in mind you can see how it's not necessarily impressive to have figured out that starting the game on a certain title screen frame gives you a known state later on, but it is incredibly impressive that people can play frame-perfect games to ensure that all the right variables are in place.

Here's a really good video about level 4-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AHCaokqhg

Twed

Wow, Level 4-2 would be a good band name.

shh

Still the point remains that it's these oddball, sycophantic, sympathetic, stupid and ruthless moments of humanity that made the doc memorable. You can only imagine how they would be bulldozed over by a musical or hollywood film.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on April 14, 2018, 05:56:48 AM
When I was 7 and I beat Sonic 2 with my mate I went around my mate's house telling everyone that the Sonic 2 credits sequence was coming up if anyone was interested.

No one was though.

Philistines!

NoSleep

I think you can tell by this statement that Mitchell is going to make this a painful descent for himself.

QuoteHi, I'm Billy Mitchell. We're here at the Midwest Gaming Classic. I'm here with Old School Gamer Magazine. I've been asked to address things that are recently in the media. The fact of the matter is now there is a true professional due diligence being done to investigate things that happened as far as 35 years ago.

In a professional manner, not in a shock-jock mentality designed to create hits, we will show that everything that has been done, everything was done professionally, according to the rules, according to the scoreboard, the integrity that was set up. Not 2014 forward by the current regime who wants to reach back 35 years. Everything will be transparent, everything will be available. I wish I had it in my hands right now, I wish I could hand it to you. But it's taken a considerable amount of time, witnesses, documents... everything will be made available to you.

Nothing will be withheld. You absolutely have my commitment to that. We've been at this since 1982, and it's not gonna stop now.

"Witnesses" and "documents", eh?

NoSleep

I've just stumbled upon this documentary, entitled The King Of Con, which claims that Steve Wiebe, Billy Mitchell and Walter Day were all in on (and getting paid for) a story being staged as the central focus of The King Of Kong, which was initially going to be all about the champion gamers of that first generation (something that Chasing Ghosts actually covered later).

It also points out that another player, Tim Sczerby, had beaten Billy Mitchell's score in 2000 but the filmmakers passed on him because they wanted "personalities" for their film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeMUSo4SDg&feature=youtu.be

Here's Tim Sczerby getting a score of 1,076,700, just for the sheer hell of it, in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mIATXy1Lfo

darby o chill

Twin Galaxies acknowledged the Tim Sczerby score at the time. After the movie, forums were full of people pointing it out. So much so that Walter Day addressed it. It's archived on the old site. The King of Kong - Twin Galaxies Official Statement 2007

QuoteFilm makers are expected to use fiction to tell a story. However, the public expects a documentary to tell a true story, based on all the facts that are available. In the case of The King of Kong, an exclusive set of facts were favored that supported a particular storyline, while other facts were carefully omitted or overlooked. Though Twin Galaxies embraced both Tim Sczerby and Steve Wiebe with open arms, treating them with respect and honor, "The King of Kong" does not give Twin Galaxies nor its staff any credit for that good will or for those good actions. These omissions - whether intentional or accidental - definitely challenge "The King of Kong's" status as a documentary.\"

Billy Mitchell is happy to be in the spotlight again I guess.

Z

I felt like the King of Kong was so openly being so thoroughly one sided that it wasn't expecting viewers to come out of it thinking they'd received a fully accurate version of events.

madhair60

NoSleep

Quote from: Z on April 20, 2018, 12:29:23 AM
I felt like the King of Kong was so openly being so thoroughly one sided that it wasn't expecting viewers to come out of it thinking they'd received a fully accurate version of events.

I realise there was a bias in telling the story, but both "sides" in the story were getting paid to maintain it (Billy Mitchell complying, apparently, because Steve Sanders wouldn't get paid unless he could lure Mitchell into the film and Sanders needed the money). I think Walter Day actually says something along the lines that Billy Mitchell's score has remained unchallenged up to that point and it might explain some of the bizarre behaviour and decisions we witness (as opposed to this behaviour being down to eccentricity, etc).

It's possible to interpret the current rejection of Mitchell's scores as a further distancing of Twin Galaxies from its compliance during the filming (and certain members of its community who took money to participate).

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: NoSleep on April 20, 2018, 06:43:23 AM
It's possible to interpret the current rejection of Mitchell's scores as a further distancing of Twin Galaxies from its compliance during the filming (and certain members of its community who took money to participate).

It is alleged that, until 2009, Mitchell used to be the part-owner of TG.

NoSleep

BUMP.

Billy Mitchell scored 1m (exactly) in public on a genuine Donkey Kong board yesterday: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/290847896

Tipster's video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JXrUzZT67Y