Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Cloverfield Paradox (formerly God Particle)

Started by Bad Ambassador, February 05, 2018, 01:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Netflix announced last week they'd picked up the rights to this, and the very first trailer ran about half an hour ago during the Super Bowl, announcing the release date.

It'll be up after the game. Not the trailer, the actual film. By the time you read this, most likely.

VelourSpirit

I was wondering when they'd finally put a film up as a surprise release. Quite excited about this since I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane, though I wasn't really sure what being part of an anthology adds to it.

St_Eddie

Hopefully, this will be the film which stops certain ignorant fools from thinking that 10 Cloverfield Lane was a sequel to Cloverfield. "Oohhh, the creature in  the first film was an alien.  10 Cloverfield Lane confirmed it!".  No, it wasn't and no, it didn't, you melon headed numpty!

EDIT: I've just watched the trailer and they're playing up a connection to the first film.  Persoanlly, colour me dubious.  They pulled the same shite with 10 Cloverfield Lane.  Fool me once... shame on you...  you fool me, can't get fooled again.

Quote from: TwinPeaks on February 05, 2018, 02:59:24 AM
...I wasn't really sure what being part of an anthology adds to it.

$$$

Bazooka

St_Eddie

VelourSpirit

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2018, 03:50:26 AM
$$$
Yeah, probably. It seems to me like an odd choice though - there must have been some thought put into why it's connected to Cloverfield of all films, given that they haven't included Super 8 in the series. Suppose it is just for the marketing, building on the mystery around Cloverfield in 2008.

St_Eddie

Somewhat tenuously related (much like the Cloverfield sequels); I love the way that the poster for Cloverfield depicts the aftermath of the film's events, following the hammerdown protocol.  Essentially, it acts as the final shot of the film...

Quote from: TwinPeaks on February 05, 2018, 05:22:13 AM
Yeah, probably. It seems to me like an odd choice though - there must have been some thought put into why it's connected to Cloverfield of all films, given that they haven't included Super 8 in the series. Suppose it is just for the marketing, building on the mystery around Cloverfield in 2008.

Yes, it really is nothing more than a cynical marketing ploy.  10 Cloverfield Lane was a spec script, completely detached from Cloverfield.  Abrams and co simply tied it in (and reshot the ending), as a means to draw attention to an interesting story and ultimately to sell tickets.

BritishHobo

I am fucking furious. I JUST moved house last night and don't get internet until a week tomorrow. This is such a brilliant move on their part, but I can't help but fume.

Shit Good Nose

I actually think 10 Cloverfield would have been better if they did directly link it to Cloverfield, rather than leave it with its confusing "is it the same?  Is it aliens?  Is it a different experiment?" shenanigans.  They'd have had to do very very little to make that so and it would have been a nice bridging prequel/sidequel, as opposed to leaving it as an "in the same universe" meh that leaves a lot of people scratching their heads.

As for this new one - I've added it to my list, but the overwhelmingly negative reviews it's getting are putting me off.  Still, saves paying £12 to see it at the cinema.

kidsick5000

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 05, 2018, 07:34:39 AM
I am fucking furious. I JUST moved house last night and don't get internet until a week tomorrow. This is such a brilliant move on their part, but I can't help but fume.

Please write to them telling them that.

As for the film itself, I feel the premise that supplies connective thread to the series is given out so early that it deflates the rest of the film.
I'd much prefer it if they just said these are scripts JJ Abrams liked so much he turned into films. The connective thing is that they all feature the word Cloverfield - that's it.
No massive arc connection, just the name features in all.

BlodwynPig

St_Eddie

Well, that was a shambolic mess.  So very, very messy.  Messy and dumber than a braindead frog.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 05, 2018, 11:43:22 PM
Is the guy from IT Crowd in this?

Yes and he's essentially playing Roy, which is jarring to say the least.  He has this whole sub-plot involving his arm and it's beyond goofy.  It's like an episode of Red Dwarf and not in a good way.  Tonally and narratively, this film is all over the place.

brat-sampson

Yup. This was... very bad. Just weird and stupid like a bunch of non-fully-formed ideas thrown together and given some title with the word Cloverfield in it. I'm fine with dumb, and it's not unwatchable, but it is incredibly stupid, with little-to-no-efforts made to justify the stupidity, characters behaving stupidly, things that just... happen (and bizarre things, not just unfortunate ones) etc. If I'd spent money to see this in theaters based on the pedigree (as it is) of the first two, I'd be feeling pretty let down right now. As it is, it was a novel way to spend part of a Wednesday evening.

St_Eddie

I'd say that this film has potentially killed the series for good but there's already a fourth Cloverfield film on the way, tentatively titled Overlord (a supernatural story set during World War II).  This neither pleases me, nor displeases me.  Meh.

colacentral

This anthology idea seems like a cunt cop-out from Abrams to get out of making a true sequel to the original after he promised one and claimed to be working on it. He must have realised that all his new ideas were even worse than the ones he usually has and thought he'd found a way to steal someone else's film instead. He's managed to kill off the demand for a direct sequel now as the title is tainted as an anthology, for no good reason.

Can't stand the cunt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: colacentral on February 06, 2018, 09:02:18 AM
This anthology idea seems like a cunt cop-out from Abrams to get out of making a true sequel to the original after he promised one and claimed to be working on it. He must have realised that all his new ideas were even worse than the ones he usually has and thought he'd found a way to steal someone else's film instead. He's managed to kill off the demand for a direct sequel now as the title is tainted as an anthology, for no good reason.

As a huge fan of the original Cloverfield, this has also bothered me ever since 10 Cloverfield Lane.  I always liked the original sequel pitch that Abrams gave; that the sequel would follow the other person briefly seen filming, during the bridge attack sequence in the first film.  Basically, it would just show the events of that fateful night in New York from a different group's perspective, whilst also furthering the mythology at the same time.  The end of this hypothetical sequel also could have shown us what happened after the hammerdown protocol at the end of the first film ("it's still alive").

Instead, Abrams chose to shoehorn in tenuous links, into otherwise unrelated films.  Films which would have been better off, without said tenuous connections.  What a pity.

Mini

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 06, 2018, 09:48:51 AM
Films which would have been better off, without said tenuous connections.  What a pity.

Yeah 10 Cloverfield Lane would have been pretty good had the "is there something out there or not" hook been genuinely ambiguous. But by slapping CLOVERFIELD on it suddenly we know there's something out there so there's no tension! I'll probably hate watch the new one this weekend.

phantom_power

I enjoyed it as a bit of sci-fi hokum. A bit of a Poundland Event Horizon. The premise did give them free reign to put any old weird shit in there which is a bit lazy but the weird shit they put in was on the whole entertaining. I quite enjoyed the tonal shifts and thought the comic relief was good, and preferable to the portentous bollocks of Prometheus and the like

Oops! Wrong Planet

Watched this last night. The first 10 minutes features incredibly dull and badly-acted expositional dialogue, and it improved very little after that. Chris O'Dowd as comic relief wasn't funny at all, and I didn't care about anyone or anything. The monster ending was laughable. Massive disappointment after 10 Cloverfield Lane.

It's probably been referred to elsewhere, but what's the deal with the Chinese crew member never speaking English, yet understanding the nuances of others' English, and them all understanding her Chinese? Also, I kept thinking two of the actors were Limmy and Fred Armisen.

bgmnts

JJ Abrams is a bastard. I'm glad i haven't got round to watching this yet.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on February 11, 2018, 02:54:48 AM
JJ Abrams is a bastard...

...with a nose that looks just like a cock.

J.J. Abrams and his randy schnoz.  He needs to wear a condom on it, whenever he catches a cold.

The witch from Howl's Moving Castle, for cock nose comparison.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2018, 03:50:26 AM
Hopefully, this will be the film which stops certain ignorant fools from thinking that 10 Cloverfield Lane was a sequel to Cloverfield. "Oohhh, the creature in  the first film was an alien.  10 Cloverfield Lane confirmed it!".  No, it wasn't and no, it didn't, you melon headed numpty!

Do people actually debate this? The viral campaign literally told us it was an infant creature that came from the ocean.

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on February 07, 2018, 10:54:20 AM
a Poundland Event Horizon

The perfect four word review.

This film would have been much more interesting if it had no outward connection to Cloverfield. Then at least it would have that "Holy shit was that Cloverfield?" moment

St_Eddie

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 11, 2018, 01:27:29 PM
Do people actually debate this? The viral campaign literally told us it was an infant creature that came from the ocean.

You'd be surprised.  I'm sick to death of people online, saying that 10 Cloverfiled Lane confirmed that the creature in Cloverfield was an alien.  As always, ignorance reigns supreme.  Admittedly, there's far worse ignorance blighting this world, aside from movie knowledge but still, it's annoying.

Replies From View

I was hoping this would be in some way related to the Hadron Collider.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2018, 11:06:48 PM
You'd be surprised.  I'm sick to death of people online, saying that 10 Cloverfiled Lane confirmed that the creature in Cloverfield was an alien.  As always, ignorance reigns supreme.  Admittedly, there's far worse ignorance blighting this world, aside from movie knowledge but still, it's annoying.
Doesn't that camcorder clip at the end look like something falling into the ocean? That might be where the confusion lies

mothman

Yeah, I think - fuck knows, really... that it's some satellite that fell into the ocean - about a quarter of a mile from NYC, without anyone noticing... and woke up the monster from those aquatic deeps everybody knows lie just off the continential shelf of the US.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on February 12, 2018, 10:30:17 PM
...it's some satellite that fell into the ocean - about a quarter of a mile from NYC, without anyone noticing... and woke up the monster from those aquatic deeps everybody knows lie just off the continential shelf of the US.

Pretty much this.  Except that it wasn't the satellite itself which awoke the creature but rather the satellite's owner, the Tagruato company.  They discovered the creature, whilst attempting to recover their satellite and subsequently set about researching it.  This intrusive research, along with their mining of the seabed nectar around the creature (used in their Slusho! branded drink) is what awoke the creature from its slumber.

kidsick5000

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 13, 2018, 04:52:47 AM
Pretty much this.  Except that it wasn't the satellite itself which awoke the creature but rather the satellite's owner, the Tagruato company.  They discovered the creature, whilst attempting to recover their satellite and subsequently set about researching it.  This intrusive research, along with their mining of the seabed nectar around the creature (used in their Slusho! branded drink) is what awoke the creature from its slumber.

Ohhhhhhh. I never twigged to that part.

For a while in Paradox, I thought that they were somehow going to be the downed satellite.